What do ya'll think of communal living?

Miltonchix

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I know a few people who tried the comunal lifestyle years ago.
Everyone eventually left hating each other and with a good case of V.D.
This wasn't their "intention" when they started out. They had the same grand utopian ideology that all the others who have started this type community had.
I think what would work is a co-op style community. In the near future it may become a NECESSITY. Everyone who contributes to the co-op gets an equal share of others fruits.
IE: I'll grow the tomatoes for everyone, you grow the potatoes, etc......At harvest time you trade tomatoes for a proportion equal to your contribution. This doesn't mean you can't help the others in the co-op, in fact it would probably be a necessity, but living seperately, on YOUR land with no one person in charge. Even still someone would want more than their share, or would want to grow flowers instead of potatoes and then ...............everyone would quit, hating each other.

I used to be an optomist. But then we had an election in 2008.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Miltonchix said:
Even still someone would want more than their share, or would want to grow flowers instead of potatoes and then ...............everyone would quit, hating each other.
That's an easy fix. Tell the person growing flowers to go eat their flowers. :rolleyes:

Back in the day, you would trade your extras for necessities. As far as the "fair share", that's something you work out with the people you're trading with. Yeah it might be tough, because the person in need might get the low end of the stick, but that's life sometimes. :/

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
Tell the person growing flowers to go eat their flowers
I would of used slightly different terms but yours work, less prison time too.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In some of the first colonies, they struggled until they adopted the "don't work, don't eat" philosophy. People either got their act in order or they perished.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
In some of the first colonies, they struggled until they adopted the "don't work, don't eat" philosophy. People either got their act in order or they perished.
Too bad it doesn't hold true to this day, our country would be on top of the world and starvation would have no meaning. Our country was founded and built by a hardy bunch and now it seems that it is ran by the gimme bunch.