What do you all think?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
DH had a possible allergy attack due to exposure to a really awful trigger(cats) about oh...6-7 weeks ago. I got the same "cold" symptoms about the same time. I am better. He is still dragging. About a week and a half into it I was still feeling out of breath, he went out and built the goat shed :/ Then it hit him again, only worse. He has really bad asthma, and has taken his inhaler multiple times a day for the last several weeks. I'm thinking he should stay inside out of the cool damp air we've had lately, but I CAN'T keep him IN :th I'm really worried about him developing pneumonia :( What herbal remedies are out there for the chest congestion/tightness and expectorant type herbs. I have GOT TO get him better. He's drivin us both crazy :rolleyes: :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
If you have any real peppermint oil around, have him breath the fumes in.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My go-to formula is Dr. Christopher's Chest Formula. I like having things that are already made up and in capsule form for the kids to take if needed. This has Ginger Root, Bayberry Bark, Cloves Whole, Cayenne Pepper, and White Pine Bark. It says: All these ingredients are known to possess strong analgesic, expectorate, stimulant, and tonic properties.

When my immune system is over-reacting I use a marshmallow root and astragalus blend called Immucalm, also by Dr. Christopher, but it's found in other products too.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Better be careful,...pneumonia tends to sneak up on you. I had my son to the doctor today because of some mild chest congestion from a cold that has been lingering for awhile,....he has pneumonia.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Better be careful,...pneumonia tends to sneak up on you. I had my son to the doctor today because of some mild chest congestion from a cold that has been lingering for awhile,....he has pneumonia.
Yes to this :thumbsup

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ditto from me too :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
He will die before he goes to the doctor :( we have no insurance, and no money...and already owe the doctor for his last visit :hide This is why I need HOME remedies :hide SHHHH, don't tell him I told ya!!! :lol:

Sooooo peppermint oil. I'll have to find some tomorrow and hope it's under $5. Thanks!! :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You might want to do some chest 'ct's. Compression treatments can be done simply with your hand. Hold your hand slightly cupped and beat (not too hard, but not too soft) his chest front and back in the lung area.

It really helps break up the phlegm etc.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
One more thing. He needs to be expanding his lungs, ie blowing up a balloon or holding his breath after filling his lungs as full as possible.

eta: don't mean to sound bossy, just went through this recently and these are harmless tactics that really help if he is heading toward pneumonia.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh boy the chest is nothing to be taken lightly.

My Dad went to the Emergency Room last night at 3 pm. He has been 'fighting' something and could not breathe last night so he said the heck wtih it, got up and they drove to the ER. Not breathing well is not good. 2 breathing treatments, a steriod shot and drug prescription. He said he felt better immediately after that first breathing treatment. He is doing very well this morning. Bronchitis. If he waited, who knows.

if your DH is truly bad, there isn't a dollar that would keep me from a Dr. visit is needed....best of luck to him! :) and you, cause it is hard watching someone in distress and they won't help themselves.