What do you do to cut expenses down?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AGH is what I would like to have. If I ever get my pen fixed I may get some. DH wants some pigs but of course being a city boy he has no idea what a commitment they are. I am so careful to lock up the yardbirds every night and I worry about something getting pigs if I couldn't lock them up at night. The last time I had pigs I had an electric fence around them which I guess kept the critters out.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Very few things will mess with adult pigs. If we ever have breeding stock, we will do AGH's. Buying piglets to raise for meat, AGH's would be cost prohibitive. I do love them!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am committed to the breed. If I'm going to raise/have pigs, I'm going to have AGH's even though they are slower to grow out. But considering that they do a whole lot of growing on pasture only it does save some feed money. And, since we grow grass almost year round it's not a bad deal. Probably only a few months in winter that I feel they NEED feed. They will eat hay right along with the goats too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, just buying a piglet for $125 (what they go for here), then paying to feed it is too expensive. They are awesome, though!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If I were to ever raise any more that's what I'd get...a breeding pair of AGH's.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My first pigs (2016) were Large Black/Berkshire and the second (2017) were Red Wattles. Both were good meat, the Red Wattles were the best natured.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My AGHs were so friendly & easy to handle! Good moms, tame boars. Plus they are not know taint carriers. I butchered 2 adult boars and no taint, yes, they had been running with & breeding gilts until I put them into the trailer. Here, you get about $50 for a weaned AGH. They do not attain the size of the others. For me, better to handle & process. Ample meat, nice flavor, yes lard hogs but more a layer on outer frame than thru the meat itself. That was marbled but NOT in any way excessive. Another feeder? I'd use an AGH again.

Plus -- if they got out, they just came back up to barn area near house. I had them there as weanlings. Never had to chase them, just call "piggy, piggy" and they'd come, follow me anywhere, talking the whole time! :D

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've seen pretty reasonable prices around here for AGH's.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've heard you can castrate those older boars and wait a bit for their testosterone levels to subside and their meat loses that strong flavor. Says it even makes them put on more weight if you do this. Sounds like a win/win.

Latest posts