What do you do to cut expenses down?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One thing we've been doing the past few years that seems like a no brainer and I've done it in the past, but have grown to appreciate it more nowadays~buy some things in bulk and just use on it all year long. Like cooking oils~regular cooking oil and olive oil~we get in huge jugs at Sam's Club and just pour it into the smaller bottles all year long when we need a refill.

SO much cheaper than buying a new~smaller~bottle each time we need some. We do the same with things like garlic salt(we use a lot of that), minced onions, pepper, etc.

It may seem more expensive when we buy them initially, but when one does the math and figures in taxes on each purchase of the smaller units of these things, it's much, much cheaper over the long run. And it's comforting knowing that one is not actually running out of that item...we have more stored in the cabinet below!

I do a lot of DIY projects here and at my son's place and one thing I do to cut expenses is to scrounge for free materials or super cheap ones. Over the years I've sort of made a game of seeing how cheap I can get by on a build and that game has saved thousands of dollars over the years and it also has provided me much fun and satisfaction, which doesn't really have a price but is worth a lot all the same.

Another thing that I can add to my original list I made on here back when the thread was started is to use fermentation on my chicken's feed. That has cut that expense nearly in half and has increased the health of the flock, as well as the production levels.

I also now encourage more broody hatches, replacing flock members in that way rather than ordering from a hatchery or buying from a feed store. Another thing I do if I didn't grow enough meat stock from my own flock is to pick up free roosters out of the local ads and even retired laying hens, often offered there for a dollar each. This is meat I didn't have to pay on for months to feed to butchering age. I just pen them here and feed them fermented feed until their meat tastes better, then I can them up.

I rotate my vehicle tires every other oil change and I keep up with oil changes, filter changes, other fluid changes...this extends the life of the car, and extends the life of the tires tremendously. I used to feel I couldn't afford to keep up with regular maintenance things like that, but now I know I can't afford NOT to...once I started doing these things, I found it to be preventative maintenance that saved me countless hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars in repair and tire replacement.

I'll have to think about it, but there are more ways we save money here that I haven't listed. One just does them over the years without thinking about it much, but it was originally started out of frugality.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a house full of hungry boys. I save a lot of money by making snacks for them. I will make up a huge amount of pancakes, biscuits for snacking. Also I always have popcorn kernels on hand. In the summer they can chomp on garden fresh vegetables and even in the winter carrots. They love carrots so much. If I make bread, pancakes, biscuits it seems to tame their sweet tooth because slap on some homemade jelly or preserves and I have happy campers.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't do it to be frugal, I did it because I like good, clean meat from an animal that was cared for and allowed to be what God made it to be. I raised hogs. One for us and two for neighbors. I didn't intend on slaughtering them myself, but the only available slaughter date was waaaay in the distant future. So we slaughtered our own meat and three families filled their freezer. So it wound up being frugal, even though it didn't exactly start out that way. We have delicious pork that cost about a dollar a pound.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It cost so much to have meat processed I would have went that route too. I'm still hoping to get some butcher ready critter for a decent price. Our Walmart has decided to close and the only grocery store raised it's prices already.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It cost so much to have meat processed I would have went that route too. I'm still hoping to get some butcher ready critter for a decent price. Our Walmart has decided to close and the only grocery store raised it's prices already.

Check craigslist. Sometimes I see breeding boars for low prices. Like a 400-500 pound boar for $125 to $200! You can buy the boar, put him in a pen, and give him enough room to have a potty space so he isn't forced to live in his own filth. Hogs root and they eat dirt. If they are forced to live in a small space, they are eating their own poop. Yes, it does affect the meat taste. After you get the boar, worm him immediately. Then start him on a clean diet of pelleted feed and hay. If you have fresh vegetables, feed those too. Give him a couple of hard boiled eggs daily. Hay is important, it will help clean the meat. You won't have any sows in heat around, so his hormones will settle down and lessen the "boar taint".

Keep him a couple of months to give him time to eat clean good feed, clean up his system and give the wormer time to clear out. When you slaughter, quarter the carcass, pack in an ice chest and make a cut of meat to "test" cook for boar taint. Slice off a piece of meat, smell it to see if it has that strong "old meat" smell. If you ever processed an old buck deer, you know what I mean. Cook the meat for a taste test. If it is good, proceed with processing. If it has a strong taste and you don't like it, make sausage. Lots and lots of sausage. LOL Get beef fat trimmings from the grocery store or find a slaughterhouse to mix with the sausage.

People will sell their boars after they use them several years and need to start using another one for breeding. You can pick up a bargain because old boars aren't worth much at the sale barns and nobody wants them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can clean up the taste of that meat even quicker if you ferment his pellets/grains. It produces a cleaner, clearer taste in hogs and chickens. It also makes it cheaper to feed him.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now thats some good info on boar meat. There is always someone selling them on facebook swap sites.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a very good article on 'taint'. I've always been able to smell and taste it but I never realized that not everyone has this ability. Most of the time when I've tasted it, it was in bacon which is practically all fat. Interesting indeed!:caf I'll be watching for more on this subject.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH my goodness - I'd just die if my bacon was tainted. The pig we're eating now was a boar - and he tastes just fine! 'Course he wasn't much over a year old, but he was running with females and he is the daddy of the young 'uns I have - so I know he was an active breeder. But, I've always heard that the American Guinea Hogs are pretty much free of taint. So far - I believe it!

Latest posts