What do you do to cut expenses down?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to my local Habitat store yesterday. You never know what others give that we may not "be able to live without"... LOL

I gravitate to areas...so, no fencing, lumber, pails, etc. Then to kitchen area. Spy a new bunch of canning jars. Ask price and am told $6 a doz, qt or pt, some w/m & some not. I said that's high, no he says that 1/2 of store price. I said not when the store ones have new rings & lids, these have none. That's another $5 per doz...and not new jars. Another lady there agreed. He told us that this wasn't a "yard sale". Someone would buy them Hmmm! Won't be me.

So, on CL I find 29 doz, w/m qts of which 8 dozen were never used, others they had new rings /lids for, all at $7 a doz. OK that was more in line with what I wanted to pay. Haven't yet but may. Of course I think I need them!! :lol: That's 50 canners of qt jars. Not out of line, really. Add to now owned, well, it will be a busy summer to fill them all!

Days off with bad weather could cost me a lot of money!! I need to think control.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since December, hubby and I have cut $500 from monthly budget! Dropped cable. Changed our electrical supplier, hubby no longer driving 500 mi every week to/from work. We bought a "newer" beater truck to replace the old truck which required a LOT of body work to pass inspection. We'll save the old truck to use as a "donor" vehicle! And we sold my car! I'm over the moon excited about these changes since we've retired!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're supposed to butcher 3 pigs tomorrow morning and maybe a couple more next weekend. Helps lower the feed bill AND the grocery bill! The chickens are into full-blown laying mode and it won't be long until we have goat milk running out our ears!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went looking online for women's clothing that's made in the US, and the upshot is that I've dug out my sewing machine and bought a couple of simple patterns for pants and tunics. I can make a LOT of clothes for the cost of one $200 pair of pants; especially when I can use sheets and yardage that I find in thrift stores.
I understand that this price represents giving the workers a fair wage and good working conditions, but I'm right at the poverty level, and I simply can't afford it. Hopefully there are enough more prosperous women that will be able to keep these companies going.

I also just finished unraveling my favorite sweater, which has sadly been left behind by my continuing weight loss. As soon as I finish the sweater I'm making for my son, I'll start on a new sweater for me. The yarn is a beautiful hand-painted mixture of merino wool and silk, and it cost me a pretty penny the first time around. I'm glad I can reuse it and continue to enjoy its beauty.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Incubate eggs. Hubby and I built my 2 incubators. I just love hatching eggs from my own flock. I'll be setting some chicken eggs this spring, utilizing my "choosing egg shape to favor pullet hatch" criteria. Hoping to set some duck eggs also but having a hard time finding acceptable breed of eggs that is either close enough for me to pick up, or within my budget for shipment.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad I can reuse it and continue to enjoy its beauty.

I love that idea! Also, you may have some pants that you can alter or re-cut and re-sew. For me, when I'm done with them, they are not in the condition to re-use except for rags. LOL I do make shorts from jeans that have frayed leg bottoms.

Since I sewed "everything" for so many, I have hoards of fabrics. When I was in a fabric store & saw sales, remnants, etc., I bought. My plan is to drag my own machines out and sew again. Right now, I'm still ok with clothes. But, I like to sew -- when I have time. Once I have quit or cut back on work, time will be there.

Ever see the bumper sticker "whoever dies with the most fabric wins" ? LOL I'm still kicking but have BOXES of the stuff. Alas, so did mom and guess who has that now, also. It's shameful!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to love to sew, but my vision now makes it more of a pain than a joy. I will occasionally knock off a sewing project, but it is now a chore instead of a pleasure.