What do you do to cut expenses down?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that we have a lot of new members and it's been a long time since we had a thread about what we do to save money. Maybe the new folks would have a new way we hadn't thought about and maybe some of the oldsters wouldn't mind repeating their advice just one more time?

After that, maybe we could sticky it?

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This has been a way I always save money. I just processed my last load of venison I had in the freezer. 28 pounds of Venison sausages, I dont expect they will last long though..I love sausages.

Image 19-11-22 at 2.23 PM.jpeg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since December, hubby and I have cut $500 from monthly budget! Dropped cable. Changed our electrical supplier, hubby no longer driving 500 mi every week to/from work. We bought a "newer" beater truck to replace the old truck which required a LOT of body work to pass inspection. We'll save the old truck to use as a "donor" vehicle! And we sold my car! I'm over the moon excited about these changes since we've retired!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Potbelly for warmth and cut only trees that a storm has fallen for me.
Oranges from my orchard.
Eggs and meat from my coop, which are fed scraps, garden waste, clippings and supplimented with whole grains, I buy in bulk (seldom visit the feed store....too expensive)
If I have to go to the city, I think of 3 things I need to do, to make the trip worth my drive.
Work weekend special to do all my work in one trip.
Kill all unwanted roos and drakes in a timely fashion so your projects are profitable.
Use organ meats, mixed with onions, bells, celery and seasonings, with a little ground meat to make your own dirty rice mix.
Eat beans once a week (more if you don't mind)
Wild harvest herbs when at all possible.
Organize freezers.....you will unearth things you forgot about and be able to prepare more meals.
Make laundry detergent and line dry clothes.
Keep eye out for used incubators and start a little side line with hatching and selling your own stock.
If you must live with a drinker, buy beer and other things in glass bottles, so you can bury your sorrows in low spots to keep your yard well drained....and your animals happier (except ducks and geese).
Invest a little in a cigarette making machine and save a HUGE amount by making your own (better to not smoke though)
Learn something about herbal remedies and put your knowledge to good use (keep the doctors away)
Mend your clothes and go to garage sales, thrift stores and community centers. I use the Catholic Community Center as my recycling location.
Get in with other family members who have reading devices so ya'll can be on the same plan and share books.
When you need a new appliance (or you in danger of needing a new one) either get a book to explain how to fix the old one or look thru weekly want ads.
Do not have a price war with other farmers. Sell your goods at a profit, or don't sell them at all....eat it all yourself or barter with someone who does something you don't. You are not running a charitable institution.
Before you buy something new or make a major decision that will cost you, come on the forum and search for alternatives. Know the difference between wanting and needing.

Editted to include one more thing, I believe has saved me bundles. I don't fret about the house temps at night in the winter, except just keep it warm enough to protect plants and such, but instead I use mattress warmers. I figure I only need to keep the humans comfy for 8 hours....not 1,982 feet of living space.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gave Hubby a hair cut this morning. I'll cut mine some time this week, then hand the scissors to him, and he'll fix my patchy work on the back side! Every time we cut our own hair, we save about $50 on the 2 hair cuts. Not to mention, the time wasted driving to town, paying for a cut that ends up being a poor quality rush job 90% of the time. When we cut our own hair, we end up with better cuts!

I find it amusing that folks are aghast when I tell them we cut our own hair. The usual reply: "I'd be terrified to do that. What if I made a mistake! What if it came out looking bad?" My reply: "Hair grows. And if you never try, you'll never learn." And, my follow up reply: "If I don't look in the mirror, I won't be disappointed!" Then, there's the little lady on the dementia unit who runs up to me every time she sees me. "Who cut your hair?" She'll ask. I tell her, "I did." Then she'll start patting my head and say... "It's so even. You do such a beautiful job." Of course, being where she lives, I don't know whether her comments are to be taken as a compliment... or otherwise! As an aside. I feel absolutely blessed to be able to work with this population, and to be able to speak a blessing into their day. Last week, I worked with a dear lady who was non verbal. I was able to re-arrange the furniture in the air conditioned gym to provide a nice big circular path. She and I walked for about 1/2 hour in the air conditioned coolness. Then finished up with some sensory stimulation with warmish water in the kitchen sink. Here it is almost a week later, and I still smile and tear up when I mentally revisit the pleasure she expressed during our treatment session.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you are trying to get the best gas mileage out of your vehicle on a hot summer day, opening the windows in the car may or may-not hurt your gas mileage.

A friend was a vice president of an engineering firm - he was an engineer also. This position required him to travel alot between offices all acrossed the state, but he was paid for mileage so he kept a notebook tracking mileage and how much gas he was putting in his car. Someone told him to stop using his AC and drive with the windows open to increase his mileage. He decided to test that theory, so he started to track when he had the windows open and the mileage of when they were closed closed. This is what he learned:

The basic concepts: running the Air-Conditioner takes power, therefore your car burns more gas to make the power to run AC. Opening the windows creates "drag" as the air is sucked into the car, the open windows create holes in the aerodynamics of the car. Open windows will cause the car to burn more gas to overcome that drag.

If you are driving 35 mph or less, open the windows and turn off the AC. You will get better miles-per-gallon.
Between 35 and 45 mhp, it doesn't make any significant difference in mileage to run the AC or have the windows open. So go with your preference.
Driving over 45 mph - close the windows and turn on the AC. The increase energy use by the AC is less than what it would take for the engine to overcome the amount of drag created by the open windows at highway speeds.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
correct. it is her house and her gardens. i am here for protection and to help out as best i can and sometimes we agree on how that goes and other times i just have to cope or work around her preferences.

Same. I just moved into my Dad's house, as he is recently widowed at 94. Home, alone, at 94.....isolated. Feels he shouldn't be driving anymore. Blind in 1 eye. Getting hard of hearing. I came back for stepmoms funeral, and he asked me to move in with him. I hope it helps ease his worries somewhat.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I spent a week with my son’s family last week and DS told me it’s hard to find clothes for the 3 year old because her butt is like a 12 month old and her legs are like a 4 year old. It was cold and he told me they had to keep using the same pants over and over. He gave me a pair of pants he busted through and DIL said she needed him to go to Walmart so I told him I needed to go with him. Found an easy pattern with a one piece pants pattern. They had some solid colors already cut in 2 yard pieces for sale for $1.67 each. I bought 4 colors, elastic and threads and a new scissors and pins. DIL had a sewing machine/embroidery machine that she didn’t know how to use. It was still in the box.
DIL was taking a nap by the time I cut out the fabric and helped myself to her machine. It took me maybe 4 hours to make these 5 pants. I used a pair of pajama pants she fits as a guide for size. The butt was the smallest size and the length several sizes bigger. I told DIL that I didn’t care if the butt was a little baggy as long as the elastic held it in place because probably the next girl will have more butt. We have enough leftover fabric for the shirts and probably a pair of shorts….next time. I am going back in March if I am not at work.
So I have to give DIL sewing lessons next time because she is all pumped up and wants to make a bunch of cute matching pants for the girls.
Notice I left DS’s pockets on little girls pants.

Attachments

• 7075D0A0-981C-44A5-A5FA-B77F307077FC.jpeg
    7075D0A0-981C-44A5-A5FA-B77F307077FC.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 130

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh no, that's awful. Do you have someone who can help you out for awhile?
I have some venison in the freezer to last me a while, I have been on a carnivore diet for a couple of years now and dont really want to veer from it, I might have to a bit though 😄. Oh well, Its the middle of Spring so The vegetable garden will be in full swing very soon...Tomatoes ! 🤤

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well my arm is healing well enough that I can shoot a rifle and do minor tasks. I had a wild sheep come out of the bush and chew the tops of my native trees I had planted on my land !! Two back legs for roasting and the rest was boned out into sausages. Pretty sure I have a couple of hundred dollars worth of products here that cost me maybe $15 in sausage seasoning, my own time is free.

I had to get someone to help me carry it back as I still can't lift anything yet with my right arm.

IMG_7280.jpeg

Latest posts