What do you do to cut expenses down?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've never ever had stitches...or a broken bone come to think of it :hu I usually use tape or wrap for my birds. Only had to do it once when a dog got my turkey tom. That tom is so tame now though, 3 years ago, and he still let's me pick him up like a baby :lol: He sure had an ugly puncture wound and gash though! I taped his gash after applying triple antibiotic, and left the puncture to heal with antibiotic cream as well. I don't know that i could sew something up like that. :hu Maybe if I ever have to I'll find out.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday, I finished my 10' tall garden fence and 4' boundary fence, all made with free, scavenged t-posts and hogwire :D It is not pretty, but the garden fence will keep the deer out, and the boundary fence will keep the coyotes from being able to run through my chicken flock and take off with chickens- so, I spent sweat, tim, and scratches on my fingers, but not one single penny, and will be saving money on lost chickens and lost veggies! :D Yay! Also, I've been working on digging and transplanting sage brush around the outside of the boundary fence, to act as a hedge- for years I've wanted a hedge that would be green year round, grow fast, not be eaten by the deer, and grow big enough to discourage deer from jumping it- sage brush does ALL of that, and it's FREE! Plus I like how it smells. Everyone except my mom and brother think I'm nuts for planting a WEED as a edge, but they'll see, by next summer it'll be a beautiful, FREE hedge, and before too many years, it'll provide nice protection from the deer for a berry orchard!!! :D I can't wait!!!

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I've never ever had stitches...or a broken bone come to think of it :hu I usually use tape or wrap for my birds. Only had to do it once when a dog got my turkey tom. That tom is so tame now though, 3 years ago, and he still let's me pick him up like a baby :lol: He sure had an ugly puncture wound and gash though! I taped his gash after applying triple antibiotic, and left the puncture to heal with antibiotic cream as well. I don't know that i could sew something up like that. :hu Maybe if I ever have to I'll find out.
My MIL fell on the ice today and fractured her arm, had to go to the clinic, and will have to go get a cast when the swelling goes down. She is NOT happy, she is NOT the sort to be inactive or ask others to do her chores... I did her laundry today, and will feed our sheep and her chickens tomorrow (she normally feeds our sheep in the am, I feed them in the pm)- I am trying to keep her from going out and risking another fall before she at least gets a cast on her arm! lol Wish me luck!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ohhh...wow....yeah good luck with that :lol: Hope she gets that cast REAL SOON or you may have hold of the business end of a big problem cause she aint gonna listen to you little whippersnapper ;)

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Ohhh...wow....yeah good luck with that :lol: Hope she gets that cast REAL SOON or you may have hold of the business end of a big problem cause she aint gonna listen to you little whippersnapper ;)
No, she aint gonna listen, ever lol.... but yesterday she was drugged up enough to agree to me doing her chors this morning hahaha FIL says he thinks they'll cast it Friday- hopefully!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Potbelly for warmth and cut only trees that a storm has fallen for me.
Oranges from my orchard.
Eggs and meat from my coop, which are fed scraps, garden waste, clippings and supplimented with whole grains, I buy in bulk (seldom visit the feed store....too expensive)
If I have to go to the city, I think of 3 things I need to do, to make the trip worth my drive.
Work weekend special to do all my work in one trip.
Kill all unwanted roos and drakes in a timely fashion so your projects are profitable.
Use organ meats, mixed with onions, bells, celery and seasonings, with a little ground meat to make your own dirty rice mix.
Eat beans once a week (more if you don't mind)
Wild harvest herbs when at all possible.
Organize freezers.....you will unearth things you forgot about and be able to prepare more meals.
Make laundry detergent and line dry clothes.
Keep eye out for used incubators and start a little side line with hatching and selling your own stock.
If you must live with a drinker, buy beer and other things in glass bottles, so you can bury your sorrows in low spots to keep your yard well drained....and your animals happier (except ducks and geese).
Invest a little in a cigarette making machine and save a HUGE amount by making your own (better to not smoke though)
Learn something about herbal remedies and put your knowledge to good use (keep the doctors away)
Mend your clothes and go to garage sales, thrift stores and community centers. I use the Catholic Community Center as my recycling location.
Get in with other family members who have reading devices so ya'll can be on the same plan and share books.
When you need a new appliance (or you in danger of needing a new one) either get a book to explain how to fix the old one or look thru weekly want ads.
Do not have a price war with other farmers. Sell your goods at a profit, or don't sell them at all....eat it all yourself or barter with someone who does something you don't. You are not running a charitable institution.
Before you buy something new or make a major decision that will cost you, come on the forum and search for alternatives. Know the difference between wanting and needing.

Editted to include one more thing, I believe has saved me bundles. I don't fret about the house temps at night in the winter, except just keep it warm enough to protect plants and such, but instead I use mattress warmers. I figure I only need to keep the humans comfy for 8 hours....not 1,982 feet of living space.

Last edited:

Plantress

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Rhoda Bruce you make some good points. I am all about turning off lights, cooking from scratch, using the wood stove, keeping the house at 55, staying home, combining trips, using the library, walks, free activities, and goodwill

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx. I am running a fairly hard, complicated life, because of the way I go about things, but at the end of the day, I generally know I have accomplished more for my family than I would have otherwise. Welcome to SS. Make yourself at home.
I think SS and basic frugality are first cousins (probably on the mother's side, Lol).

kemps

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I save by shopping sales and with coupons. I tend to go to ALdi whenever I can. I always try to get things free via CL or freecycle. If I can't then I check thrift stores for the cheapest deals I can find. There is very few things I buy new. I am disabled so I can't make some things that I would like but I try to do what I can. I do make my own Febreze which saves a lot. I also don't buy what we don't need, which seems to be an unusual habit, sadly. I get samples when I can which saves me on fem products, shampoo, soap and even meds sometimes. I also get pretty good coupons from that so it's like double saving. I am on a lot of medications (the sucky part of disability) and get those filled at CVS. I am signed up for their refill program so, with that I get 50 bucks a year in ECB that I can use towards anything we need. I usually use that towards tp, paper towels or laundry detergent as those are the things that can be harder for me to get at times. I know there is more but I can't think of it atm. :D