What do you do to cut expenses down?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We do what a lot of others already posted.

Now that cold weather is here, we have the wood burner going. I keep a pot of water on one side of it for humidity, hot water for dishes, etc. I also do some cooking on the other side of it, potatoes wrapped in foil in the coals, skillet bread, etc.

When I turn on the oven, I try to cook multiple things, like roasting two chickens instead of one. Then the extra goes in the freezer for meals later, heat and eat meals, etc. I make a big pot of soup, freeze several quarts.

I buy meat only when it's on sale. We have more vegetarian meals, or meals using less meat, like stir fry.

I let my hens free range a lot. Free chow for them outside of the run, less poo to deal with inside of the coop.

My SIL is getting a deer for us this year and is going to help me process it. Some will go in the freezer for us, some will be cut up in portions for the dogs. DH doesn't like the idea of venison, so learning to cook it will be a new experience for me. :D So is the processing. :/ He also said he'd teach me how to tan a hide... :/ (I'm trying to learn new skills.)

I don't buy greeting cards. When a friend got out of the hospital, we bought him a watermelon (that he loves) instead of a card. When we were invited to a kids 8th grade graduation that specified 'no gifts, cards only', we gave him $5 and a note saying 'Congrats! (now isn't this better than some lame card?)'. He started laughing and said it was! I just adjust it for whoever is receiving it.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
We cut our expenses by:

Ditching cable tv and investing in over the air antennas for the tv...Moxie-Done...last year...2010

Cook from scratch... Moxie-always

Only shower as needed (2-3x per week). ...moxie-maybe 2x a week..depending on how dirty we get.

Let hair air dry (makes stronger, healthier hair too!)...moxie-I always do

Use a clothes line...moxie-I use drying racks in the winter.

Use "free" entertainment, movies from library, family game night, free community events.....moxie-we live too far out o do much..but we go to free stuff.

Turn down the thermostat and add layers (not to the point of being uncomfortable!)..........moxie-We have no central heat or a/c. No insulation either. Working on recycling insulaion

Shop sales (though Aldi still beats most sale prices)...moxie-Only go to town 1x a week...1 tank of gas last me 6 weeks now.
Review/shop around for insurance prices every year (don't forget to ask your current agent to do better, they usually can).....moxie-Has the cheapest and all of the discounts available.
Probably lots more, but they have just become habit so they aren't necessarily coming to mind!
I borrowed your post....like they do for the questionaire thingy.:th

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
We do what a lot of others already posted.

Now that cold weather is here, we have the wood burner going. I keep a pot of water on one side of it for humidity, hot water for dishes, etc. I also do some cooking on the other side of it, potatoes wrapped in foil in the coals, skillet bread, etc.

When I turn on the oven, I try to cook multiple things, like roasting two chickens instead of one. Then the extra goes in the freezer for meals later, heat and eat meals, etc. I make a big pot of soup, freeze several quarts.

I buy meat only when it's on sale. We have more vegetarian meals, or meals using less meat, like stir fry.

I let my hens free range a lot. Free chow for them outside of the run, less poo to deal with inside of the coop.

My SIL is getting a deer for us this year and is going to help me process it. Some will go in the freezer for us, some will be cut up in portions for the dogs. DH doesn't like the idea of venison, so learning to cook it will be a new experience for me. :D So is the processing. :/ He also said he'd teach me how to tan a hide... :/ (I'm trying to learn new skills.)

I don't buy greeting cards. When a friend got out of the hospital, we bought him a watermelon (that he loves) instead of a card. When we were invited to a kids 8th grade graduation that specified 'no gifts, cards only', we gave him $5 and a note saying 'Congrats! (now isn't this better than some lame card?)'. He started laughing and said it was! I just adjust it for whoever is receiving it.
I went on strike in 1988..gave up all of the trappings that go with ..holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, cards, you name it. Life is so much simpler now.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I guess I do most of what everyone else has already listed...

Grow and preserve our own foods(veggies, fruits and animals)
Free range animals for greatest food variety, health and food efficiency
Grass fed sheep(eliminates the grain purchases)
Home remedies on vet care~mostly practice preventative medicine for both humans and animals and this has been very effective thus far
Pay cash for cars, etc....no interest paid on anything at all~ever. If I have to borrow the money, I don't need the item.
No incurring debt....do not own a credit card and find a debit card will suffice when credit card is needed for hotels, etc.
Limit running the roads...if the wheels don't turn, the gas doesn't go down in the tank.
Use power strips on all appliances and turn them off when not in use to avoid phantom power use...it really and truly makes a difference.
Squiggly bulbs for lights. :p (I like calling them that)
Heat with wood, rent instead of own, rent outside city limits so I won't be paying for water/sewage.
Use sheep to mow the lawn instead of mowers/weed eaters. Use hair sheep so shearing won't be an expense.
Invest in cattle paneling...one time investment that can be used in multiple ways, never deteriorates, stores flat and has great resale value.
Reuse, repurpose, scavenge, dumpster dive, use word of mouth, etc. to produce materials for building construction, fencing,etc.
Make own meals, bread, etc., and keep to a simple, plain diet....it's better for your health, budget, planning, etc.
Use everything until it absolutely wears out, then find a like item that is lightly used and do it all again.
Use pound puppies as family guardians, LGDs, companionship, etc.~it provides a home for an animal, relieves shelter overload and they really make the best pets.
Invest in good containment for animals~safe animals are healthy, uninjured by cars, neighbors, etc.
Do without TV, cell phones(no, your teen will not be safer if they have a cell phone), high techno gadgets, etc.~they cost money to maintain the media and it lacks true purpose or education~read books that are free at the library. So are movies, audio books, CDs.
Use homemade laundry....am using the $20 worth of materials that I bought a couple of years ago and still haven't gotten half way through the supplies. Priceless.
Eat deer meat...it's free, lean, plentiful (for now) and the scraps make great feed supplement for dogs.
Eat out with my family on occasion....that's why I'm being frugal in the first place, so I can afford to relax! :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was doing a search (for an old canning thread) and found this old chestnut--thought I'd bump it up for the newer members who have joined since this thread was current.

Lots of great budget-wise ideas in here :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lots of what other already mentioned, so I'll try to put just a few things that others didn't mention.
Turned in the plate on DS's truck and let go the insurance and only use it on the farm, which is quite useful (can always undo if I need another vehicle)
I forage for my goats, with a laundry basket around the yard to save on feed.....I'm much taller and can reach places they never can, so I've thinned out some bushes and poison ivy.
Keep an eye out for vehicles you can partially 'inherit.' I'm currently ridding around in Grandpa's car, which I only had to pay my godfather's share, cuz Momma gave me hers. And I know who drove it and how it was cared for.
Eat beans twice a week, if possible.
Keep guineas to help in your garden......less pesticides required for bug control and you have another meat source that was really cheap to raise (if you did it by the book)
If you have a problem with coons eating your fruits or killing your chickens, come up with a tasty solution.....trap and kill them. Meat is very tender and your farm is more profitable. Get over whatever delicate ideas you have about food. What can be more gross than what all a chicken eats???
Consider getting into hobbies that your livestock goes out and forages for itself, once established, rather than traditional livestock that requires daily feedings. Doves/pigeons, guineas and bees come to mind. Once they know where home is and are established, you pretty much don't have to pay out anything and only harvest the goods when its time.
Learn a little about herbology, if you have access to a large meadow or woodland. The medicinals you can make can save you on your medical bills and keep you happier and healthier (but don't strip the source).
Get a woodchipper....I can elaborate, but take my word for it....most of us can use the mulch and its well worth the investment. Should have gotten mine 10 years ago.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1. We take advantage of the free mulch program from our city. All that is required is that we bring our own trailer (or pickup) and be a resident of the city. They use their equipment to dump it in the trailer. This saves us a ton of money.

2. I stopped buying soy milk and started making nut milk from our home production of pecans. That is a savings of about $2.40 per half gallon. We have an abundance of pecans and they don't cost us anything. My husband uses a little more than a quart a week with his cereal.

3. Stopped buying paper towels and started using cloth towels made from flour sack material. I bought the large flour sack towels from the warehouse store and cut them into smaller sizes, about the size of a regular paper towel. Hemmed them. I use them for everything I used paper towels for...drying hands, wiping counters and spills, absorbing grease from cooked foods, napkins, etc. I made a lot of them and keep them in a basket on the kitchen counter, ready for use. I wash them separately from all other laundry and include bleach in the wash for kitchen sanitation purposes. Instead of going through a gazillion paper towels a day, I'm now using maybe 1 roll a month of the paper ones. Since the price of paper towels at the grocery store has now gone up to about $2.50 a roll (Viva), that is saving me a lot of money.

4. Hauled my bread machine out from under the counter and have regularly been making my own bread. I think that saves about $3.79 per week.

5. My husband takes a lunch and jug of tea every day to work. Never buys his lunch. That saves $5-6 (or more) per day.

6. I pack homegrown fruit in my husband's lunch and try to bake treats/snacks (fruit roll-ups, banana bread, squash bread, etc.) instead of buying pre-packaged snacks, plus I know the food is healthier, and the bananas, berries, nuts, etc. are all home grown and healthy and I didn't have to buy them).

7. We only have one car, which saves on maintenance, insurance, registration, inspection, etc. I live next door to my mother, who no longer drives. I run all of her errands using her car, and do my own errands at the same time. I can borrow her car if I need it for additional trips. She pays for car upkeep, maintenance and insurance, while I pay for most of the gas. If I went back to work, I would have to buy another car (and upgrade clothing), which would take a substantial chunk of my pay. Not sure it would be worth it. Although I am not actively looking for a job, I keep my eye open for any openings that would be within walking distance of home. That would be the only way out of the home employment would be worth it.

8. I started using the library for almost all reading and stopped buying books. Since I have always been a bookaholic, this has been a huge savings! I check out books, sometimes videos, and lots of audio books to listen to while working in the kitchen or doing other indoor chores that don't require a lot of concentration.

9. I cook almost all meals from scratch, using very few mixes, prepared foods, convenience foods, or canned goods. I buy canned goods of things that we can't grow, or if they are cheaper to buy than grow. We don't eat much fast food and we don't eat out very often.

10. I stopped buying soft drinks and drink water, iced tea and home canned fruit juice. Healthier and saves a lot of money. Seems that if I have soft drinks in the house, I drink way too many. I limit myself to buying one only if I'm out running errands (which may only be one or two times a week).

11. We have inexpensive hobbies. This is more of a lifestyle than an active choice to save money, but we enjoy simple activities, such as canoeing, hiking, and camping. Since we are usually camping when canoeing, camping is free because we aren't in fee based campgrounds. These activities, once you have your equipment, don't require much cash to maintain.

Jill in Texas

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Forgot some...

We also gave up our landline telephone.

We don't have cable television. Actually, we don't watch television. We don't have a digital antennae and can't pick up any stations, so we have netflix streaming to the TV and computer. If there is something on tv that I want to watch, I can usually find it online the day after it airs.

We don't pay for fancy cell phones with data plans.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
If you have a problem with coons eating your fruits or killing your chickens, come up with a tasty solution.....trap and kill them. Meat is very tender and your farm is more profitable. Get over whatever delicate ideas you have about food. What can be more gross than what all a chicken eats???
I'm going to get a live trap and eat coon all summer. There's a big corn field and several serious gardeners in the area, so there should be no shortage of coons. Plus, there's the fur, which could be worth 10-10 $.

I'm still amazed at the learned yuck response I have to certain things. When everything comes from the store, it's easy to forget that the carrots grew in the dirt and eggs come out of a chicken's ass (almost). Yeah, delicate ideas. I've conscienciously gotten over the yuck and tried to avoid teaching my kids any of these silly ideas. My wife hasn't come completely but is less fussy than years ago.