What do you do to cut expenses down?

daver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Excellent thread, all great ideas to put to use.

We are in the process of refinancing the mortgage.

Had a tankless water heater installed last year. Haven't crunched the numbers but it made sense.

Want to replace the electric stove with a gas. Would love to have a commercial style. Used of course.

Since our garden was a total flop this year, I will be trading eggs for cabbage, collards and turnips with my neighbor.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Our house is starting to smell like Happyland!!!!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with buying necessitis, not luxuries or "larks" (whims & attractive gizmos). Given that I know that tools and equipment can save you money in the longer run, so long as you develop the required skills, I still do buy the occasional tool. Just wondering if people here have had success buying via on-line used-equipment sources like eBay (or whatever)? If so, what can you tell me about how well it's worked out for you?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Daver, how do you like the tankless water heater? From what I've heard, it's a matter of lifestyle if you like them or not. I think it'd work for us.

daver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Daver, how do you like the tankless water heater? From what I've heard, it's a matter of lifestyle if you like them or not. I think it'd work for us.
Since it is just the two of us, it made sense and we like it very much.

Our thinking is that if we lost power for an extended period of time, an adequate generator would run our well and we would still have hot water.

But I can see where it may not be practical for all. Especially large families.

Dave

daver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
I agree with buying necessitis, not luxuries or "larks" (whims & attractive gizmos). Given that I know that tools and equipment can save you money in the longer run, so long as you develop the required skills, I still do buy the occasional tool. Just wondering if people here have had success buying via on-line used-equipment sources like eBay (or whatever)? If so, what can you tell me about how well it's worked out for you?
Personally I look at this as a case by case situation. If I have to borrow something more than three times, I need to get one.

Have had good luck with eBay and Craigslist. I have bought other professional tools online with much success.

Sometimes renting larger equipment is the better way to go. You just have to weigh out the pros and cons.

Dave

Edited to add: If I need it and it has more than one use, it's a no brainer.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Another very simple one for cat owners: instead of a cat litter box use a cardboard box, and instead of cat litter use earth.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
saraltx said:
Another very simple one for cat owners: instead of a cat litter box use a cardboard box, and instead of cat litter use earth.
Or someone here once suggested decomposing leaves and straw mixed w/ earth.

Joel, I haven't bought used tools online, other than refurbished. We did buy our pneumatic framing nailers from Amazon a few years back. We got an additional $25 (?) off by opening and using their credit card. Paid the card off and never used it again. But it made the new nailers about as cheap as used ones were going for back then.
I thought we would have sold ours by now, but friends and family borrow them and let us use their tools, too. And of course, there's always new projects on the horizon, right?

And saraltx, have I welcomed you yet? :frow

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The biggest thing we did was to move to a small town and pay off the house. it wasn't easy but it was well worth it. Now I shop 3 stores or more each week but only buy the loss leaders and items we can store. Tha t way you get everything at the lowest price. I don't buy anything that isn't on sale. Most important I keep a price book so I know if something is really a deal - a lot of these buy one get one deals aren't really cheaper. I don't use charge cards locally since I want our local stores to stay in business. It costs them too much and cuts into their profits.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I don't use shampoo or conditioner anymore, only Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar, and I LOVE it a LOT more than the old shampoo, and it is GOBBS cheaper, plus a lot healthier, no chemicals!!
We are also making our own laundry detergent. The 5 gallon bucket lasts a year for the two of us.
Just found the recipe for dish washing detergent, that'll be next on the to make list!
I also use mostly white vinegar and baking soda to clean with, it works just fine without too much trouble, and again is a LOT healthier.
I find that being frugal is usually healthier than buying the manufactured stuff!

I also shop largely at a really wonderful consignment shop. Got a pair of work pants for $7.00 that still had the original tags on them marked $40.00.

I want to work on doing more, but we aren't in a good position since we do not own our own property yet, and are VERY limited in what we are able to do on the current property, so composting and having chickens is just too much work. Someday.... :)

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We cut our expenses by:

Ditching cable tv and investing in over the air antennas for the tv
Cook from scratch
Only shower as needed (2-3x per week). Really, how dirty can someone get sitting in an office. We always shower on Saturday night for church on Sunday and one other night during the week (unless doing something that gets us dirty, sweaty, etc.) Cuts down on water usage as well as lotion for dry skin!
Let hair air dry (makes stronger, healthier hair too!)
Use a clothes line
Use "free" entertainment, movies from library, family game night, free community events
Turn down the thermostat and add layers (not to the point of being uncomfortable!).
Shop sales (though Aldi still beats most sale prices)
Review/shop around for insurance prices every year (don't forget to ask your current agent to do better, they usually can)

Probably lots more, but they have just become habit so they aren't necessarily coming to mind!

Latest posts