What do you do to cut expenses down?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I used to shop 3 stores as well. Then, the one closed and I didn't have a reason to go into that area. It was hard to get out of the one store. Plus, they built one closer to us. So, we've been doing most of our shopping in that store.

Then, I got a circular from one that I normally didn't shop in, unless I needed something. It's just off the one road I can take to the farm. But it's small and I thought it was more expensive. The prices were great. I haven't gotten another circular from them, but I check the circular on line. And as long as they have some good prices, I'll shop there. This week they have drum sticks for $0.59/lb., so I'll be getting some of them.

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Kemps, how do you make your own febreeze? I just recently started shopping Aldis, I love it! Dollar Tree has great things I stock up on. :) I get my chicken breast in bulk from Zaycon when I can. And sometimes Bountiful Baskets has awesome beans in bulk. :)

kemps

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@Denim Deb 59 cents a pound?? That is fantastic. Sadly my hubby is pretty picky about bone in meat so if I do get it I tend to get thighs or breasts and even then I gotta de-bone. I like to get it though cause then I can make broth which is fantastic in the winter. Alas...

@chicken girl There's a lot of recipes out there but the one I use calls for 2 cups warm water, 1/4 cup fabric softener 1 tablespoon baking soda. I use an old febreeze bottle and mix it right in there. I fill it up with more water after mixing it all together and it makes a good amount. Smells good too. Plus you can choose the scent based on the fabric softener you use. You can even use your own if you want to. I've also seen people use essential oils in there but I haven't tried that.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@kemps I missed your post from yesterday. Ireland is amazing, absolutely amazing. The weather is interesting though, we get a LOT of rain and often, but in general the climate is mild and the countryside is simply breathtaking.

kemps

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@sumi I tend to love rainy weather so that sounds lovely. As much as I love Minnesota I have a hard time with the cold due to having fibro. I also have a hard time with humid heat so I am hoping to find the so called "perfect" weather. So far we are looking into either Colorado or New Mexico but we'd need to visit both to be sure. I haven't been to very many other states so I don't know much of other places weather. We are gonna be getting some land for a homestead along with my MIL and she has fibro too (as does my husband) so it is something we have to be worried about all around. I used to love winter so it bums me out now that I can't enjoy the cold. Grr, anyways, sorry for the off topic reply! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@kemps I enjoy cool weather too and have a problem with any kind of heat, due to low blood pressure issues. Where we lived previously, in South Africa, summer temperatures hovered between 90*F and up to 130*F all summer long, so I'm enjoying the cooler temps here! The warmest we had in summer here was 77*F. Winters are mild with some snow, but not always. I hope you find the perfect, middle-of-the-road weather state for you all!

kemps

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@sumi Thanks. I would so die in 90s-130s. Man, I almost die when it reaches upper 70s. The main thing I am trying to get away from is the humidity cause that kills me even worse than the heat does. It sounds absolutely perfect there. I even more need to go all touristy there sometime! :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@kemps if you don't want humidity, the western half of the US is definitely where you want to be looking. The only problem is, most of it you'll have to get used to irrigating your garden and/or fields, because most of the time we don't get much summer rain. I so miss my garden in Santa Clara County in California... I could get three gardens a year there... *sigh*... but I DO NOT miss the crowds, smog, and light pollution from San Jose. I remember getting a letter shortly before we moved up to Oregon that stated that all rural properties in Santa Clara County had to be landscaped. Excuse me? You want me to "landscape" my chicken farm???
Wherever you think you want to move... be sure to look at the attitude the local government has toward farms and rural property.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Back to the original topic of this thread, though still slightly unrelated, it does count. I've stopped smoking :D A few weeks ago and it's been hell, but a huge saving financially plus my health, which is priceless.