What do you do to cut expenses down?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you are trying to get the best gas mileage out of your vehicle on a hot summer day, opening the windows in the car may or may-not hurt your gas mileage.

A friend was a vice president of an engineering firm - he was an engineer also. This position required him to travel alot between offices all acrossed the state, but he was paid for mileage so he kept a notebook tracking mileage and how much gas he was putting in his car. Someone told him to stop using his AC and drive with the windows open to increase his mileage. He decided to test that theory, so he started to track when he had the windows open and the mileage of when they were closed closed. This is what he learned:

The basic concepts: running the Air-Conditioner takes power, therefore your car burns more gas to make the power to run AC. Opening the windows creates "drag" as the air is sucked into the car, the open windows create holes in the aerodynamics of the car. Open windows will cause the car to burn more gas to overcome that drag.

If you are driving 35 mph or less, open the windows and turn off the AC. You will get better miles-per-gallon.
Between 35 and 45 mhp, it doesn't make any significant difference in mileage to run the AC or have the windows open. So go with your preference.
Driving over 45 mph - close the windows and turn on the AC. The increase energy use by the AC is less than what it would take for the engine to overcome the amount of drag created by the open windows at highway speeds.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The type of vehicle also effects this so speed may vary by vehicle.

There have actually been a lot of tests by many different groups about it.

If you have a pickup keep your tailgate Closed. Airflow around the truck forms a sort of bubble in the bed that allows most of the air to flow more smoothly over it and make it more aerodynamic. This helps with gas mileage. Plus there is the issue that the tailgate actually keeps the side in proper shape. Not using one allows gravity and air pressure to warp the sides over time. Unscrupulous dealerships try to sell pickups with cheap crappy nets instead of tailgates because they have removed it and intend to sell it separately to make more money. The manufacturer never sends trucks without tailgates so don't listen to that lie.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh and 55 mph is not ideal speed for gas mileage on most vehicles. That speed varies by model. Most cars it's somewhere between 70 and 80.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's been forever since I looked at this thread and what fun!! I haven't gone completely through it, but I'll hit it again later today.

I'm still cutting DH's hair, having more trouble with my own as time goes on. My dumbass neck just won't turn like it used to.

I now make simple bar soaps from lard, tallow, olive oil or coconut oil. No scents added. Son and I even made soap with cleaned hamburger grease collected over time. No odor, just like tallow soap. My fav is the coconut oil soap, lots of lather. Both olive oil and coconut oil can be used as a shampoo bar, but I went back to borax water instead of shampoo followed up with diluted ACV. I also use grated coconut oil soap to make a dish soap. There's some diluted Dawn for when you have to break out the big guns, but the homemade stuff is a lot easier on my hands.

I still make all my cleaning supplies - laminate floor cleaner, windows, kitchen, bath. We have mostly hard surface floors. I use a big, 24" commercial type dust mop (with homemade dust mop treatment) for the hard surfaces, then only have to run the vacuum on the area rugs and little piles of crud here and there from the dust mop.

I use Amazon for bulk spices. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was to buy a pound bag of XXX for the same price as a few bottles that held a couple of ounces each.

I really miss the garden aspect. I get most of our eggs locally, offer cash but we often just share stuff. Son harvests edible weeds to add to salads or steam.

All of us here are doing the best we can with what we have. It's nice to share ideas and experiences.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see a need for a new thread. DIY cleaning products. @Marianne : I'm guessing you have a lot of recipes to share. Perhaps there is already a thread where some cleaning product recipes are already posted, and we just need to revive it? I like the idea of a thread where many recipes of like products are stored, instead of a single thread for each and every recipe!

Please tell me about your borax shampoo.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read this thread from front to here a few times. Most I do. But, getting myself into the "mood" to retire, I am working at these things with more gusto! :) Often it's little things -- measure the laundry liquid, don't just pour. :D Use it all (whatever it is) so you don't waste. This is so easy to accomplish with some foods -- dump all into a bag in freezer, then make soup with it...etc. Cats & chickens get scraps, and all that. Make the "little" things count more.

I haven't bought soap or shampoo in ages, or paper towels, napkins, etc. I do buy cans of sanitizer wipes now & then. They are fast & cheap with a coupon, on sale. Love those things to wipe up, off, around. LOL

Currently I am making myself work within my "retirement" money for all except paying for any outside bills...right now, a tractor payment, extra gas to go to work, etc. Things that won't be part of my eventual retirement. I'm weaning myself. :D Buying "great" deal buys for equipment I will need later, while I'm working. I suspect I will abandon one of my 2 part time jobs, keep one for a while -- until I'm comfortable emotionally. :old After all these years, it's hard to not have a "place to go" and a "paycheck". :lol: Sure I will love it when it happens.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see a need for a new thread. DIY cleaning products. @Marianne : I'm guessing you have a lot of recipes to share. Perhaps there is already a thread where some cleaning product recipes are already posted, and we just need to revive it? I like the idea of a thread where many recipes of like products are stored, instead of a single thread for each and every recipe!

Please tell me about your borax shampoo.
Easy peasy - dissolve 1 tsp borax in a cup of hot water, then let it cool. I use a recycled bottle that holds approx 12 oz, so I put the borax water in it, add plain water until it's full. I get about 5 showers worth. I can't say shampoo's because this doesn't suds at all. It's just like rubbing soft water all over. Rinse, repeat if you have product on, then rinse. Follow up with standard diluted ACV/water. I don't measure, so anywhere from 1 part AVC to 5 or 10 parts water.
The first time I used it, I thought that this isn't going to do anything! I'm glad I stuck it out. My hair was shiny clean and dried really fast. I have fairly short, somewhat curly hair. Sometimes I miss the suds, though.

Yes, let's find that thread. I remember posting some things on it, I bet all of us did at one point.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The other day I got after my lil shih Tzu with the clippers. Doggies are hard, but I'm learning. She turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself and saved us from paying for a cut. Will probably take her occasionally to get the things I have a hard time with, especially around the face, my Cookie Bear wasn't letting me near that without a fight, lol I have considered eventually getting a stand to help me hold her for this and will keep on trying. Have been paying $40 every six weeks for the past year that I've had her and they raised prices to $50, so..

Hi Riece! I was a certified master pet groomer before my health got in the way of working. I'm happy to help you if you're interested. I have a couple unsolicited tips!

No need to buy a grooming table or stand. A grooming loop doesn't do a bit of good restraining a dog for a novice groomer and I find they get in the way. A grooming table is too big to effectively confine a Shih Tzu. I would put her on a wood chair and sit on the floor.

Most of the handling in dog grooming is the good groomers learn to never, ever give in to a dog that's resisting, but also they don't get reactive. They don't get angry or frustrated. They'll just wait out the behavior. The little well-loved dogs throw and epic temper tantrum (a.k.a. extinction burst) and then they are over it and cooperate with that groomer. Owners are afraid of hurting or upsetting their dogs so they end up giving in and reinforcing the tantrum.

I'd suggest getting a month subscription to learntogroomdogs.com or buy a Jody Murphy DVD.

Tools make a huge difference too, so if you have a bit of money to put into some equipment I'd be happy to give feedback on which tools give you the most bang for your buck.