What do you do to cut expenses down?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! I may have to try canning some chicken. I got a great deal on chuck roasts some time ago and canned it. While it was convenient...I wasn't overly thrilled with the texture. Maybe I'm just picky. I did can some ground meat and vegetable soup once that turned out pretty well. I think I just need to branch out and try more recipes.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't can meat but I probably should can cubes. I use the canned elk from my uncle for soups often enough.

I pick up beef primals from the restaurant supply and break them down. I love sales.

I have an electric meat grinder, though I used to just use my mixer attached one when we lived in the apartment. I also have a slicer, but I'm good at hand slicing steaks.

Everything can be wrapped in butcher paper or vacuum sealed and frozen.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I canned a bunch of goat milk a couple years ago. Not something I'll do again... yuck! :sick

I guess it would be ok in an emergency situation - but for now the dogs are loving it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
By watching the sales, and "grocer specials", I often buy meats that are 1/3 the usual price.

I LOVE my vac seal. Just as soon as we get back from the store, I break down any meats into meal/cook sized portions, and pop them into the freezer.

Many large home cooked meals are appropriate for freezing into "future meals".

Cook dry beans for your recipes instead of using canned beans. Planning ahead, pre-soaking, and using a crock pot takes most of the effort out of this practice. If you'll not be using a whole # of dry beans in a recipe, freeze the extras. Cook extra rice, and freeze the rest. Cooked pasta does not freeze well IME.

Every time I opt to make a pizza instead of buying it: I can LOAD it with all of our favorite toppings. We save at least $15.00 when comparing fantastic home made pizza with multiple toppings to the price of our favorite pizzeria 3 topping pizza.

Going out to eat: share an entree with your dinner partner. Or when your meal is served, immediately cut it in half, and package the second portion to bring home. Clip and use coupons. Take advantage of pre-Christmas gift cards. Usually, there is a $10.00 bonus card for every $50.00 card bought. We buy a couple cards at our favorite restaurants for our own use. Fill up on salad bar, and bring most of your entree home. Opt for water with lemon instead of a menu drink. Ask if there is a senior citizen discount. Many restaurants have Veteran's discounts.

Buy bakery products from "day old" shops and cut your bill by 75%. The products are usually just as fresh as what you find at the grocer. I can get a package of free english muffins every time I spend $5.00! There's also Senior cit. day for an extra 10% savings.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do as you LG .. and day old breads are just fine. Most of the time we toast it anyway. LOL LOVE butcher sales...close date markdowns, etc.

While I agree with the "eat out" suggestions, I RARELY eat out. I like my home cooked. Plus no partner.

Milk, bread, eggs? Yep and that leads to a lot of other buys but, I have eggs & milk right here....breads, I can make or buy day-old at work schedule. You need a goat! Then there's milk, cream, butter, cheeses -- all healthy A2 milk. Yep, a goat.

Canned meat is convenient and if freezer space limited, is another way to preserve a bounty. Otherwise I prefer fresh/frozen. Now, if canned it IS already cooked!! Part of the convenience and time thing for a meal. LOL I really need to go thru my freezer!! I'm on a eat from what's here rage.

Can't wait for a garden to come on this year.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spent a few bucks on a snap set and replaced the ones that came off my heavy flannel shirt I use as a work jacket. That thing is getting old and the nearest I've found to replace it was over $50. Snaps were cheaper. I've mended itp a few times but it's almost irreplaceable.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My "work jacket" was one that my hubby got as a promo at previous job. It's huge on me, indestructible. Over 20 years old. Has been used and abused, and shows no signs of wearing out.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got to love those things.

I heard someone yesterday complaining they were going to toss out their shirt because they dropped something greasy on it. I'm just thinking "morons". If my hubby manages to go a week without a grease stain it's a miracle.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The younger generations are only used to "use & discard". Many don't even know about repairs, cleaning stains, etc.
But then -- looking at my old clothes I see quality that is not often part of the newer throw aways. Trust me, I have a lot of old. LOL

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am tired of how poorly made the new clothing is. As I gained weight, I had to buy new clothes. Granted I buy cheap clothes because I AM GOING TO LOOSE THIS WEIGHT! The fabrics are cheap and fall apart after so many washings. The dyes are poor and washout. I guess you get what you pay for - but $100 for a pair of jeans just ain't happening here.