What do you do...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know that I ever want to own a pig. If I did, it would have to be a smaller one. I think I prefer to buy my pork from a reliable source.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
see DenimDeb the key word is reliable source. one never truly knows what they get fed other than what you've been told and i have become a not so trusting sole of late. at least i know what mine has eaten, even if it is some of my chickens and ducks i know they are free range and all natural. lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There was a guy around the corner from the farm that, if I had had the money, I would have bought both pork and beef off of. I knew him, knew what kind of care he gave the animals and trusted him. But, he was getting older and didn't want the hassle of the farm any longer. So he sold it this year. And now is when I'm finally in a position to buy. Figures.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Pigs are lovely and very easy to keep. They don't need a lot of space, or special feed and ours were mostly fine with minimal care and hassle. We just fed and watered them and cleaned out their pens when needed. Slaughtering the first few times was difficult for me emotionally, but I reminded myself that's what we got them for and got on with it. Knowing what went into that meat is also a big plus.