What do you forage?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can try to get your own morels going by taking any rinse water and scattering it around your property. keep doing it and eventually they may show up. :)

purselane is very easy to grow here. i don't try to get rid of it all for that reason. emergency greens in case of the apocalypse. :)

DelcoMama82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That’s some beautiful imagery!
You certainly know a lot about that area too. I’m not sure I know anywhere I’ve lived that well.... though I guess I haven’t spent 15 years in one place yet either.
I’m always looking for new items to forage and places to forage.
Perhaps this spring will bring about some new inspiration!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Regional specific books rock. Like with birding books, most are too general and people get those and think they have a bird who doesn't live within a 1000 miles of them. I use a mountains to coast Puget Sound birds for my identifying. It gives habitat and counties they are more likely to be.

Might check out local extention office and university web sites. They are quite helpful here.

I have a foraging on the Pacific coast book somewhere. It doesn't have mushrooms. Those need their own books.

Blackberries and raspberries are good foraging plants because there are no toxic look-alikes. Actually, the fruit from most plants in the rose family are edible. Now the seeds might contain harmful substances. Which is why you don't eat cups of apple seeds.

Some wild brambles taste better than others. Some are also more worth it to gather. I've spent many hours picking the thin little caps of thimbleberry to get the 4 cups I needed for jelly.

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've also tried a lot of the edible wild plants round here, and concluded that there is a good reason why most of them are not cultivated - they don't taste very nice or they're not worth the effort of collecting/prepping. I have yet to try the wild parsnip.
We are inundated with wild garlic in the spring, which is OK, and elder flowers and berries are lovely. But the chickens always get the wild strawberries before I can, the squirrels get the good hazelnuts likewise, and none of us seem to be fans of blackberries, which also grow in abundance here.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
evergreen huckleberries are ripe now!

Fig66.jpg