What do you forage?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every fall, you can drive down the streets of the city near us (Klamath Falls) and see dozens of apple trees with fallen applies lying uncollected on the sidewalk and street. I get enough from the trees on our property, but if I didn't, I'd be knocking on doors asking if I could collect some.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i know, i see a lot of waste here too at particular places, but since i know they spray the trees i don't even think of turning in and asking. i like apples, but i really don't like all the stuff they spray to get "pretty apples" which may sell better but i'm quite ok working with less than perfect apples here.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Well soon it will be Persimmons for jams , The red sumac is almost ready to harvest the berries , acorns are falling and almost time to harvest peanuts, The sorghum was a good yield this year as well .
What do you do with red sumac berries?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i foraged a piece of cold pizza this morning from the fridge, but i doubt that really counts. :)

the other day i met someone at the local park who was foraging mushrooms. i wish i'd have thought to talk to her more about that but she was a bit distracted by some guy acting weird and was warning me about that and so i was telling her that if she wanted me to go with her back to where her car was parked so she could leave if she wanted but she was going to keep foraging for a bit. when i left the park the guy was over near the restrooms so i stopped and told her what was going on and then left. like a dummy i didn't ask at all about how she was doing on the mushroom hunt.