What do you have in your Bugout Bag?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got some cordage, knife, axe, and a container. worse comes to worse i can throw up a lean to and eat people.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We a
Might be a bit to much to ask but also might start a interesting conversation.

I inventoried my Bugout Bag which stays in the back seat of my pickup. My 4 person tent and both my wife's and my, insulated hiking boots, 0 degree sleeping bags are by the front door. My wife also has a stocked Bugout Bag but more with "girly" things...

The idea is if SHTF and we had to Bugout we would like to carry as little as possible to be able to survive in the woods for 5 days while we set up camp and worked on a constant food supply. We already know exactly in the woods where we are going. It has a good creek and springs for water. Is on top of a high hill with a good view in most all directions.

Tell me what you think I'm missing or what I really don't need. And what's in your Bugout Bag?
View attachment 4046

View attachment 4045

1 decent quality camo backpack
1 book US Army Guide to boobytraps
1 book The Trapper's Bible
1 mini crossbow
3 Meals Ready To Eat (officers version)
1 basic first aid kit including a tube of tripple antibiotic cream
1 cutters orange top insect repellent
1 pocket fisherman
1 mini crossbow replacement string
24 mini crossbow bolts
1 ziplock baggie ( hygiene... bar soap, deodorant, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, floss, tooth paste, tooth brush, mouth wash, etc...)
1 large ziplock baggie fishing gear (hooks & weight assortments, 500 yards 12 lb fishing line, stringer, bait, etc...)
1 pair new socks
1 head lamp with extra batteries
1 box of 50 38 caliber bullets
1 38 revolver
2 small bungee cords
1 decent quaility butchers knife set with sharperner
1 heavy duty bowie knife
1) Spoon fork, small knife, can opener cork screw combo set
1 Hatchet
100' of 550 cord
1 good quality All in One tool
100 water proof matches in water proof container
1 small ziplock biggie with (3 packets of oatmeal, 3 tuna packets, 12 each chicken and beef bulon cubes, 3 packets peanut butter).
1 large ziplock bag with 2 differnt fire starters (wet & dry) water purification tablets & fire striker filled with lighter fluid.
1 sewing kit
1 pair mechanic's gloves
1 compass
1 lifestraw
2 glow sticks (yellow & green)
1 pair of underwear
Ways

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't have a bug out bag, but we do carry many of those things with us in the truck. My faith is in the Lord, but we tend to try to prepare for whatever this life throws our way.
I'd add a roll of duct tape and probably witch hazel. It's useful for a ton of things (and from a prior post, maybe castor oil?) I never knew it was so handy. I've never used it myself but it's now on my shopping list. And I was reading a thread here (maybe under natural remedies) about how egg membrane can be dried and saved. That stuff is really awesome for drawing poison out of a wound. Fun discussion!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't everyone in Texas armed anyway? Lol

I figure, we won't get a huge influx of people from any major cities because who the heck wants to go north and struggle through 5 months of winter? Only a certain type of person can survive NH winter if society breaks down. We just happen to be that type!

Sure are and if your not armed when you get pulled over by the police. the officer will ask you if you want to borrow one of his guns.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol no but Texas is a gun friendly state. NH has good (relaxed) gun laws but a lot of people are freaked out by it. My DH open carries sometimrs (not much anymore), he's had people freak out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You know it's funny = we've had open carry here for awhile now and I've NEVER seen a civilian carrying. We don't advertise down here in these parts, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol I don't either. But his .45 doesn't fit in his pants pocket, lol. So unless he's always wearing long shirts, it just happens sometimes. I've really realized lately my .40 is too heavy to carry around in a purse all the time (I have neck and migraine issues)... Might have to get a second...

But I digress...

Latest posts