What do you know about ADD?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey now I didn't know you two were an item. he he!! Thank you for explaining it to me.

I am glad to hear you have found a way to make things better for your son. It sounds like he is on the right path. I just keep thinking little steps will get us where we need to go. I just need to keep taking them.

gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
In my experience almost every (if not EVERY) true ADHD child I have met has one or both of the two following factors involved:

1. a parent with severe ADD/ADHD

or

2. a mother that has been a marijuana smoker before pregnancy (not necessarily during or even right before the pregnancy - remember all of the woman's eggs that she ever will have are present when she is BORN).

It is my personal belief that pot does something to those eggs. I can't tell you what and I have NEVER heard of a medical study in regards to it. The father smoking does not seem to make a difference.
Well, my mom was never a pot smoker and she doesn't have ADD herself. There IS a biological component, but it doesn't always express itself as ADD. The family tree has other components...depression, learning disabilities, alcoholism...
The wiring is different.

In my case, I am an artist and I am left-handed. My brain is just different.
Like I said before LOTS of things can look just exactly like ADD. Depression can be on of them.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
As for the pot smoking theory....it seems like if every child who has ADD or ADHD had a parent that smoked pot there would be more pot smokers with kids who had ADD or ADHD. I have never been a pot smoker, stuff smells nasty, but I know an awful lot of people who are or have been pot smokers and right off the top of my head I can't think of one of them who has a child who has ADD or ADHD. Not disproving the theory, and just anecdotal evidence but it made me wonder a little bit.
I am no medical researcher ... THAT is a FACT. I do know however the ADD/ADHD problem is WAY more prevalent than in the past. It just makes me wonder.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmfresh wrote:
In my experience almost every (if not EVERY) true ADHD child I have met has one or both of the two following factors involved:

1. a parent with severe ADD/ADHD

or

2. a mother that has been a marijuana smoker before pregnancy (not necessarily during or even right before the pregnancy - remember all of the woman's eggs that she ever will have are present when she is BORN).

It is my personal belief that pot does something to those eggs. I can't tell you what and I have NEVER heard of a medical study in regards to it. The father smoking does not seem to make a difference.
Funny you should mention this.....my boy's father was a pot addict supreme. His other boy from another marriage had ADD also. Maybe? Who knows? :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
In a very uninformed way, it seems the sperm would be as likely to be affected as the eggs...

Tonight was one of those nights. My son is home sick, but his work has been coming home with his sister. One page of math to correct: 2 hours. Two pages of math to complete: 1.5 hours. Oh my goodness. And this is all review! Then, a complete fit about working in his bedroom alone with the door closed (for quietness, of course) since he is now terrified of being alone in a room since watching a Goosebumps movie at school during a rainy day recess (duh to the school worker who made that decision!).

Some nights go so well. Other nights are SO long...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can completely sympathize! :hugs It's a never ending battle....well, I guess it may end some day if they can ever function in society. I'm waiting to see.... :caf

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
And, Bee, I have the supportive dad here, too. Hats off to you for coping all those years alone! Yikes!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ruled with an iron fist in a velvet glove! :lol: It ain't over yet and I won't know the results until it is.... ;)

He just handed me his mid-terms and he, for the first time in a long time, is sporting a 3.0! Happy day! :ya

I only agreed to view the darn thing because he had such a proud air about him, I couldn't resist! :gig

My oldest, I'm pretty sure, has Asperger's, the middle one is dyslexic and moderately ADD, and the youngest is full-on ADD.

How's that for a bundle of fun? :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah....if God had meant for us all to be the same we'd all be made of cookie dough! :p Roll us out, cut out a shape..... :lol:

I will admit, I've had days when I could have grabbed something heavy and split open some gourds....but the thought of ruining all that hard work I'd put in was just too painful...... :rolleyes: :lol:

You'll get through this, he'll get through this and you will slowly see the light at the end of the tunnel.....like I did today.

Good grades....but it took him 3 hours to fold two baskets of clothes.... :p

And you ask, "Why do you even try to make him do those chores when it takes that long?"

And I say, "Because I CAN!" :D Too easy to give up and just do it myself....maybe why God paired up an ADD child with a strong-willed mom, who knows? :idunno

Besides....completing a task is good for him. It happens so seldom.... :gig