What do you know about Missouri?

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was born here in this great State of Mo. Married a Texan that said he would never live in Mo. Guess what? He has lived here for the past 30 years and loves it. It is a beautiful State with beautiful lakes that are for the most part clean even thou this is changing and the cost of living is good!!! And another good thing about it is you are close to another beautiful State and that is Arkansa ;)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
"but not a state I would like to be in when the SHTF"

Do you mind if I ask why?

g
I read way to much and maybe I do to much stategy planning. Thank you U.S. army. Anyway. Understand history. With a population of almost 6 million people and the potential of mass population movement that way. Not my idea of a safe zone. Kansas city is a Junction point. Just like Gettysburg. a lot of traffic will come that way. I hate Tornados too.

Just my thought. MHO God bless and be safe

Here is some info I like to refs to
http://www.survivalblog.com/retreatareas.html

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess its perspective. I would much rather be on a rural farm with the ability to grow food, raise animals, chop wood for heat, have a water source and other SS things, then be here in Ca.

Maybe I am one of the mass with just a hint of foresight.

G

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
TanksHill said:
"but not a state I would like to be in when the SHTF"

Do you mind if I ask why?

g
Not my idea of a safe zone. Kansas city is a Junction point. Just like Gettysburg. a lot of traffic will come that way.
As for KC a lot of traffic is already here! :ep

I tend to agree with this to an extent. Most of the sheeples are going to be highway running between St Louis and KC primarily. I still feel the north part of the state especially would be a great place to be. The south part is good too lots of hidey holes, but just not as good of farm land - more rocks.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I guess its perspective. I would much rather be on a rural farm with the ability to grow food, raise animals, chop wood for heat, have a water source and other SS things, then be here in Ca.

Maybe I am one of the mass with just a hint of foresight.

G
I totally agree with your community goals. Keep in mind security and alliances. IMHO. Take care. Good luck getting out of Commiefornia.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
"but not a state I would like to be in when the SHTF" I read way to much and maybe I do to much strategy planning. Thank you U.S. army. Anyway. Understand history. With a population of almost 6 million people and the potential of mass population movement that way. Not my idea of a safe zone. Kansas city is a Junction point. Just like Gettysburg. a lot of traffic will come that way. Just my thought. MHO God bless and be safe.

Here is some info I like to refs to http://www.survivalblog.com/retreatareas.html
@THEFAN,

We take the SHTF subject seriously and keep our eyes on The Bible, CNN, and Washington, to name a few. It is why we are working feverishly to get out onto our land to get busy growing our own food. The Super Committee, we feel, is not going to come up with solution(s) which will force across the board cuts per stated law, to be implemented 1/1/2013 (14 months away). That is, automatic across the board cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, Food Stamps, possibly Social Security, and so forth (read that anything that the poor has).

The link you provided above has a wealth of information. We started reading it last night and we have bookmarked it. Thank you.

Woodland Woman asked: "What do you mean by "zone free" and what county are you talking about? Missouri can be diverse. What region are you interested in?"

What we meant by zone free is the ability to live like we want to live without the county forcing us to pay thousands of dollars for things we don't need: i.e., septic systems, building permits (we have a park model RV mobile home and here they are saying we can't live in it on our own land, BULLS_ _ _). We are going to go the way of composting ALL waste thus don't need to spend thousands of dollars which we do not have to install, pull permits, for a septic system. We stumbled upon some land in Missouri some months ago, don't remember the county this sec. but the ad stated "Zone free" as in we could live the way we want and that definitely peaked Lee's interest. With no knowledge of MO we did not favor one area over another (which is good now that I see the maps, etc. that THEFAN provided.)

FarmFresh asked: "Lived here my whole life. Also sold Real Estate a long time ago. What do you need to know?"

We wanted to know anything and everything people would want to share like you all have graciously done (and are doing) via this thread. MO is one part of the country we have never lived thus know nothing about it. I figured posing the question here would shed light on the State. LOL, now thanks to the link above we have questions about other possibly safer areas to be when TSHTF. We know no where is perfect, but admittedly, SOME places are certainly better than others. Quite frankly, don't think Florida is THE place to be either. Yes, it has plenty of water, gator, etc. (which is what attracted Lee); but I dunno. I have a gut feeling being more inland is safer. Ay yi yi.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with the northern half of Missouri, but in the southern half, there are vast areas of remote forest and pasture, lots of little creeks and a fair number of substantial rivers. There are 3 artesian wells within 30 minutes of my house. There are a lot of folks who seem to be a combination of survivalists, off-gridders, SS, hermit, un-neighborly and suspicious. Once they get to know you, of course, they are as nice as you would want. I have heard of several folks who have exotic animals, most likely not legally. From what I see, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of county regulations for the more remote counties (far from metropolitan areas). 4-H and FFA are big interests for rural kids. There are many generational farms, century farms and hobby farms. Lots of people have horses; horseback riding is a big business. Getting someone to sell at a decent price may be a problem. However, if you have cash, you may be able to buy a little farm that would not pass criteria for a bank loan, due to septic/well issues. Probably most of the timber has been harvested, and that land sells pretty cheap, but you end up with all the trash left over from logging: mounds of cut off tree tops and big ruts in the ground. You would have to do some major repair to be able to use the land. Definitely don't buy without inspecting and asking LOTS of questions.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
It's a horrible place don't go there!!!!!!!!! ;)

Just kidding. I would go tomorrow if I could. I have only seen parts of the state but it is just beautiful. I have an aunt just east of Springfield in the Ozark hills. She lives near many Amish and a small little town.

My hopes is that sometime in the next year or so to move there. I think with the weather, woods, and water it is a good place to be SS.

FarmFresh is in Mo.

gina
Tanks,

How are you coming with the move? I am so excited for you.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i am on the iowa/missouri border. i have family in missouri. they are crazy, drunk, hillbillys. lol. but if i could sell my place today, i would go back to missouri. (lived there for a few years). the taxes are lower. the hunting/fishing licences are lower. all of the missouri that i know is very layed back. and there is good hunting up in this area. (and you can use high powered rifles to hunt with). if you have any specific questions i will try to answer them from the northern section.

eta: and fireworks are leagle year-round!!!!:woot