What do you know about Missouri?

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i am on the iowa/missouri border. i have family in missouri. they are crazy, drunk, hillbillys. lol. but if i could sell my place today, i would go back to missouri. (lived there for a few years). the taxes are lower. the hunting/fishing licences are lower. all of the missouri that i know is very layed back. and there is good hunting up in this area. (and you can use high powered rifles to hunt with). if you have any specific questions i will try to answer them from the northern section.

eta: and fireworks are leagle year-round!!!!:woot
:D at your familial description . . . made my day since our farm is called "Hip Hillbilly". Oh, and here I am a black woman who is into wearing Edwardian and Regency gowns and dresses, LOL, waaaaay OL.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I was surprised to get a update on this thread. It's been a while. We did go for another family visit in June. Spent some time looking at properties. One did fit the bill. 40 acres, modular home, two barns, stream, two wells just beautiful!! Same road as my Aunt but about two miles north. Would have been perfect for sharing equipment.

We are nowhere near ready to sell here in Ca. Dh is not ready to leave his job. But I thought if I could get approved for a second home loan/vacation home mortgage I would make an offer. In my minds eye the hay from the first cutting alone would have been enough to cover the mortgage for the year. It was the deposit that was a struggle. About a month after we came home they lowered the price by 20 thousand. So I got my ducks in a row and went for it. Unfortunately I could not offer asking price and someone else could.

So were still here in Ca. I have seen a few other places on line that would work for us. But it's hard to look and enquire when your 1800 miles away.

We are working on our house here and keeping our eyes open. I am trying to save more cash so I don't loose the next place.

But I'm still going!!!!

Hopefully sooner than later.

gina

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
on the honest side, there is some beautiful land in missouri. land is cheaper there than here in iowa.

when i win the lottery.......................................................:fl

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
But I'm still going!!!! Hopefully sooner than later. gina
Aww maaaan. I was reading your post with baited breath, hoping, hoping. Okay, you do have the right attitude about it all and I can't wait to see how it all works out! :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Remember it is not called the Show Me state for nothing pn the good side what you see is what you get.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been born and raised in Missouri. I grew up in the North West Corner in a small rural town. Then after some moving around I settled down 50 miles south of Kansas City. I have 5 acres at the Truman Lake, right on corps. land and horse trails. Heavy timber, we love it. My property taxes on the lake property are $105 per year. I am in th process of building a cabin there now. My home here I am trying to get it prepped as much as possible, I live in a small community, have 3 of my horses hear and chickens, some of my neighbors did complain about the horses at first, but I bought them off with fresh eggs ;). I am also on the city board so the helps. :cool: This county that I live in IS statring to get more anal as some of the stuck up pricks from the city decide thay want to move to the country, then try to change it to fit there city life styles and unfortunatly they influence the county commisioners and such who think they are doing the right thing for the "future" of our county.
The deer seasons here in Missouri are awsome, you buy an "Any deer" tag that allows you to take either a buck or a doe ($17), then you can buy all the doe tags you want ($7 each.) Missouri does have on of the best Conservation depts. in the states which has given us this abundance of deer. There are several seasons for deer. Bow season,early urban deer season, rifle season, black powder season, then back to another bow season.
The weather herer isnt realy that bad, last winter was the mildest I can remember in a long time, but the 2 winters before we got hammered with alot of snow. This summer we had a very seriouse drought, and the heat was crazy, up in the 100's most of the time, but we got through it.
I realy do like living here in Missouri, as stated before, the northern part has better soil, the farther south you go more rocks and clay ground, less fields and more grazing ground. Terrain is a little more rougher, more hills, very beutiful though. The people as a rule are nice, but they are reserved if they dont know you and rightfuly so IMHO.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Opiemaster,

That sounds LOVELY. I am here ooohing and ahhing. Can't wait to share it with Lee.