What do you plan to grow next year?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I've been sifting through my seeds, most of which were traded for in BYC's seed train, so they were $.42 per package (I am still using last year's bell stamps). So, I figure I'll post up a hardcopy of what I have and what I really want to grow next year (or this winter in the attic).

All herbs and ornamental peppers will be grown over the winter so that I can sell them come spring at market.

Herbs:
Basil
Lemon Basil (+chaff? gotta figure out what that is, lol)
Dill
Sage
Lavender
Spearmint

Other:
Barrel Cactus
Pumpkin (jack-o-lantern)
Carnival Bell Peppers
Banana Peppers
Bell Peppers (green/red)
Garlic Chives (wasn't sure wth type this was)
Sugar Baby Watermelons

Ornamental Peppers:
Bolivian Rainbow
Chilly Chili
X-mas Lights
Pretty Purple

I also need to get beet seeds and a few others (totally skip my mind right now). Fennel is another that I need.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I really did not do a decent garden this year so next season I want:

hot & sweet peppers
tons of tomatoes
zukes & cukes
radish
salad greens
herbs- basil, dill, chives, parsley, cilantro

Al the usual suspects I guess....what will be new for me is:
swiss chard (now that I have found a use for it!)
Watermelon...I am never successful
Pumpkins.....again never quite get it

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah! I forgot about parsley!

As for my pumpkins and probably the watermelons, I'm thinking about just "tossing" them into the woods and letting them fend for themselves. I'm not a big fan of either, but we've always had the best luck with them when we've neglected them or didn't even know that they existed (ie, by the scrap pile, lol).

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm. Well, it's nothing major really. I was in an apartment for the past five years of my life, so I'm used to doing everything indoors. Not to mention that my seasonal clock is out of whack, and for some reason, I always want to grow seeds in the early winter.
Here, I'm lucky, I have huge windows on the south side in the attic, so I have my dirt and such up there. I have a tiny tupperware container with nightcrawlers in it for fishing, but I pull the poop out and put in fresh topsoil once the topsoil turns all black. I'm also planning on using rabbit poop this year. Just mix this with regular topsoil and you've got some really nice soil. If you want to add those water crystals, you can do that as well, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I'll probably add them once I add the rabbit poop and start my seeds. Then, I'll just be gathering random containers to move my seedlings to. Right now, they're in a shallow drawer from the fridge from downstairs (removed it to fit a deer in the fridge, lol). I'm not concerned about how it looks at this point, because, really, who's going in the attic? I cut toilet paper tubes in half, that will help keep the seedlings seperated. I'll buy (or scope freecycle more like) the little plastic pots to do a final transplant before they go to market.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MONGO veggies and flowers this next year to make up for the disaster of this past year. I now have a secret weapon at my place~master gardener BAT! :D

I just got the best seed catalog for bulk seeds which comes in handy when one is going to sow as many flower seeds that I am this year.

Getting bees and they need food...... :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am growing ALOT less...acres less.

But my standards are onions, red taters, cukes, maters, all that delish stuff that goes in a salad, daikons, grape tomatoes, etc.

cutting out alot of varities of squash, zucchini, varities of green beans, etc. that we normally sell at the markets.

So keeping my basic good varities that I love and knocking out tons of stuff we grow to sell.

I don't do herbs. Never had time truly. Next year I will be trying some.

Next year will be more for me. Not for the market. What I like, do that and smile and not all that extra work for the sales.

I need to get an orchard plan started. Gotta sit down and think what I want, peaches are a definite must!!!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a small backyard garden so are limited by space. The plan for next year is cukes(for pickles), tomatoes, onions, garlic, spinach, mustard greens, and jalepenos in planters. That should be enough to keep us busy!!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am focusing mainly on tomatoes and potatoes.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I need to get an orchard plan started. Gotta sit down and think what I want, peaches are a definite must!!!
we have about 10 peach trees. we had a late frost last spring, so NOT ONE PEACH!! (not one apricot, not one plum, not one apple!!)

so bummed!

I'm doing the whole thing.
tomotoes, cukes, peppers, eggplant, onions, okra, pole beans, herbs (lots of cilantro), summer and winter squash and anything else that flights my fancy when I'm getting seeds. may just toss those into the flower beds.