What do you plan to raise next year?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, since there was some "interest" in the planting thread on new animals, I'll make a thread!

This coming year, I plan to raise meat rabbits for the first time, and meat quail again. I already have two breeder bucks, now I need to pick up some cage making materials to make the hutches for rabbit and quail. We do have a large turkey pen, so I'm going to take a look at that and see what I can use it for. My quail I plan to sex out and seperate to finish growing out, so that I can get eggs from the hens while waiting for them to grow out into meaties. I just don't like the idea of fertilized eggs.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am going to hatch out more quail after I turn an outdoor dog kennel in to a safe quail house.

More veggies using my pond system

Pumpkin patch in the front yard

And...if I can find a good supplier who will do a small order...perch! Since the ducks can't play in the pond anymore, I need a "nutrient" source for the plants. I had to move the ducks in to a covered run because of hawks. Now they just have a kiddie pool.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I plan to actually start raising animals that pay their own way... we're starting small with a few dozen chickens, and possibly a couple turkeys.

Pretty simple, but it's a start :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The three BBB turkeys having been such a success this year, I've got a pair of heritage bronzes now that I'm *hoping* to be able to get some poults from, also will be trying to get some BR and BSW poults if I can, put most of them in the freezer in the Fall and save a trio or quad to overwinter for next year.

Also I *think* I've talked myself into ducks, partly from Wifezilla's constant reports on the subject <g> and partly b/c if I hadn't bought that pair of turkeys back in Sept I *would* have come home with a pair of ducks, so now I feel like I need ducks :p

I would like to try a couple pigs but have not yet softened DH up sufficiently, and am still not quite sure whether our property might be too low and mosquitoey for them anyhow, so, maybe some other time.

(e.t.a. - and the chickens, of course, same as always!)

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Turkeys, chickens, and goats from my own breeding stock, and a couple of purchased piglets to raise!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
This coming year, I plan to raise meat rabbits for the first time.
I would like to look into this option as well. How did you make that decision? Is there a comparision somewhere of raising rabbits vs. chickens for meat? I would like to figure out if I'm better off with rabbits or continuing to let my broody hen raise a batch of chicks for me every few months. So far she's on her second brood and I'm getting ready to butcher the first batch in a month. The other thing I want to look into is possibly getting some day old freedom rangers to put under her when she goes broody rather than eggs.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
and possibly a couple turkeys.
turkeys!! you cant go wrong!! we love ours! we started out with BR's and a couple of BBW's.. and this year we had all BR. we love them. ours wont be ready to harvest until Feb (disastrous first spring hatch) ... but we cant wait. next year its going to be a total turkey-palooza.

we just love them for so many reasons..... they are funny, free range, and as far as work goes.... they are as easy as chickens to keep and dress. but you get alot more reward for your time.

we were also surprised at how many people contacted us and wanted to buy some. we didnt want to sell any this year, but around here you can get $100-ish for a laying pair.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i've got my heart set on getting turkeys, goats, and sheep for the first time.

getting pigs again, which we haven't had since i was a young child.

and lots more chickens!

i'm so excited!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I am going to try my hand at goats this spring. I am also researching sheep right now, as I might get two of those. I have the room, I just want to be prepared.:) And more chickens, lol!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Bettacreek said:
This coming year, I plan to raise meat rabbits for the first time.
I would like to look into this option as well. How did you make that decision? Is there a comparision somewhere of raising rabbits vs. chickens for meat? I would like to figure out if I'm better off with rabbits or continuing to let my broody hen raise a batch of chicks for me every few months. So far she's on her second brood and I'm getting ready to butcher the first batch in a month. The other thing I want to look into is possibly getting some day old freedom rangers to put under her when she goes broody rather than eggs.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?
My dad says that rabbits are much easier to process than chickens. Quick and no feathers to deal with.

I may be adding rabbits to my list, once my folks move here, if they want them.

Latest posts