What do you plan to raise next year?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Vilhjalmur Stefansson??

Yeah...

Since we are breeding 7 of our does(goat) this fall/winter, we will be expecting a lot more little kids running around to play with! I'm getting giddy just thinking about it!

Hoping to get a few more babies out of the rabbit does as well.

Hoping for more Muscovy, Buff, and Swedish ducklings, hopefully the turkey and peafowl eggs will be fertile and we can hatch out more of them.

Hoping for more eggs from my Light Brahmas.. don't really need any more chickens otherwise..

I would like to get some pigs but doesn't sound like that will go over well with my dad.

Of course, theres always the possibility of a llama..

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Strangely enough one of my worst animal bites was from a parakeet. Evil little beasts!!!
we might just have to hear more about this.....

now that we have our poultry-palooza cranking at full steam, the pigs down pat, the goats up and running, and the bees buzzing.... its time to think cows.

we passed a dairy operation the other day (all the cows were streaming into the barn in one big black and white parade - it was great!) and so i think i have my source for one of those $9 bottle calves my neighbor scored. by then we should have a bit of pasture and the plan would be to use the goat's spring milk for the calf finish him on grass, then hello delicious-but-small cuts of veal.

whoot!

and sheep... oh yes sheep.....

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
More chickens.....we want more light brahmas and I want some silkies or crested polish. Getting 4 goats in the spring, don't know yet about the fate of our rabbits......the quail are definitely going away never to return. Ducks that will hopefully get to laying soon, what age do ducks start laying anyway? I would love to do bees........

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Vilhjalmur Stefansson?
Yes, Vilhjalmur Stefansson...

"Between 1906 and 1918, anthropologist and explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson (1879- 1962) went on three expeditions into the Alaskan and Canadian Arctic, each of which lasted between sixteen months and five years. He published some 24 books and more than 400 articles on his travels and observations, including his autobiography (1).' There is also a voluminous literature on his life and work (2). Stefansson was an ambitious and successful explorer and he soon became a public figure in North America and Europe, well-known for his description of the "Blond Eskimo" (Copper Inuit), his discovery of new lands in the Arctic, his approach to travel and exploration, and his theories of health and diet. His successes in exploration, however, as Collins points out, "have tended to obscure the fact that he was primarily an anthropologist," although some anthropological works have referred to his writings and he continues to be cited in ethnographic and historical works on indigenous peoples of the North American Arctic, particularly Iupiaq ("North Alaskan Eskimo") (3)."
http://www.thearctic.is/articles/topics/legacystefansson/enska/index.htm

http://nutrition-and-physical-regen...r-dangerous-part-3-with-vilhjamur-stefansson/

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/native_americans.html

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I would love to do bees........
bees are a lot of work but they are infinitely satisfying. you will also have a decent amount of up front cost (but really, what doesn't). we've been doing Langstroth hives for about 15 years, but i'm going to start some experimenting in the spring to look into new methods.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Look into a book called The Barefoot Beekeeper....it tells of the advantages of top bar hives and how cheap a start up and maintenance they are. Says one doesn't have the ability to have the enormous honey yield as the Langstroth hives, but seem to be easier and less heavy to care for. Also allows the bees to build their own comb sizes, seems to cut down on varroa, etc.

As I can start to keep bees with this method so cheaply, I will be doing TBHs this spring.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
lorihadams said:
I would love to do bees........
bees are a lot of work but they are infinitely satisfying. you will also have a decent amount of up front cost (but really, what doesn't). we've been doing Langstroth hives for about 15 years, but i'm going to start some experimenting in the spring to look into new methods.
There are a few threads buzzing around here about beekeeping, including one on topbar hives and topbar beeking. I've really enjoyed my topbars this year!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we love our bees! even tho we didnt harvest (it was our first year) we got a little honey when they were building the combs (had to take some out). it was so much fun!

i scored a big bag of buckwheat seeds in the fall so we'll plant all around the hives. whoot!

plus you get to say you're a 'beek' which is fun to say
:)