What do you plan to raise next year?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WZ, I bookmarked it for later perusal! Thanks! :D Will explore it more thoroughly for useful info...hope they have some info on TBHs and follower boards and catching a swarm. :thumbsup

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, beef calves, and we're still hopeful to get 2 piggies in January.

Oh, and my Alpaca for Fiber. :D

I'm also hoping to get some quail, just a few to get started with.

I also wouldn't mind adding a milk cow.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm adding to my list. I'm hoping to get some type of amphibians, plus I plan to restart at least one aquarium here soon, and plan to breed certain aquarium critters, so I also plan to restart my cultures. I'll be adding the below:
Confused flour beetles (also for baby quail)
Vinegar Eels
Microworms
Flightless Fruit Flies (also for baby quail)
Mealworms (for quail)
Redworms (for fishing, feeding the quail and for vermicomposting)

Silkworms (for silk as well as feeding larger amphibians or selling/trading them for that purpose)
Monarch butterflies (simply because I want to, lol)

Most of these will probably have to be hidden from the boyfriend though, lol. Thank goodness they're small cultures and can be hidden easily, minus the butterflies/moths. I'll probably get away with the butterflies, and hide the moths behind them, lol. Or just say that the moths are ugly butterflies. Hmmm...

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got three meat rabbits, two doe's and a buck. I was thinking about getting some worms for vermicomposting. I have been batting the idea of goats around, so maybe that will happen this year. I just can't make up my mind what breed I want to get... Leaning toward nigerian dwarfs...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have been thinking about adding some ducks to our brood in the spring. Just a pair, so we can have some eggs and have a little fun with them.
We are not sure which breed and I'm open to suggestions. I do not have a pond so I will have to figure out a water source. I want to keep them in a pen to themselves.

We already have 19 chickens and I'd like to see if any of my hens goes broody and will raise some for me, but I don't have an incubator so I won't be raising any more chickens that way. I kind of wanted to add another chicken breed to my group so I might get a couple of chicks when I get the ducklings and keep them in the duck area until they are big enough to be with my big chickens.

We also bought young dairy goats in the early fall and hope to be breeding them next fall. But I'm sure they will be keeping us busy in the spring. We want to build a moving pen for them to spend time in during the day so we can get some areas cleared out and fill their bellies for free. We live in a forested area of Washington and the blackberries are thick!

So I guess ducks is what we are planning on adding next year, but we are still raising our other new livestock. We also want to plant a garden and grow pumpkins and sunflowers.

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I plan on starting quail and turkey next year.

Right now we have chickens and meat rabbits (who have yet to produce any offspring :/ )

I also really want to start bees this coming year.

I really want to get a couple goats but think that may have to be put on hold until we can devote the time and money to putting up good fencing on our sloped property.