What do you stock inyour pantry, that others may find odd?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Throttlejockey wrote
I only keep two basic commercial hot sauces, sriracha and franks, the rest I make myself
I don't know that I have ever had commercial Sriracha, but I made some last year that is really tasty. Let me know if you want the recipe.

I suppose the weirdest things I have in the pantry are all the various Asian ingredients, and the weirdest from that lot are probably the mini dried fish and shrimps. They make good fish stock, when fresh fish is lacking. And my Korean sister in law does some interesting dishes with them, which I always intend to learn to do, but haven't yet. (On the other hand, she hasn't learned much American cooking either, so I do "western", and she does "Korean" :lol:). I also have some dried fiddlehead ferns (also given me by SIL), but I don't really like them, so haven't used them. Maybe I just don't particularly like the Korean way of cooking them. And one packet of dried squid that I was given in Japan; its an interesting, chewy "Japanese jerky" sort of thing.

Oxtails too, but I don't consider that weird ;)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got a couple pounds of wakame seaweed and a few packs of Kombu and a few packs of bonito flakes. Mai fun noodles and all kinds of rice noodles. over 100 sheets of nori paper. A few cans of wasabi powder(until I can figure out how to get some and try to grow it) I also have dried squid from Korea in there that was a gift from an exchange student. lol
Tins of smoked kippers(my favorite go to snack) 5 different types of salt and who knows how many types of flour are in there right now. I have many jars of home grown dried peppers and even smoked dried peppers. a few Jars of sprouting seeds and my sprouter. I even have 4 different types of molasses. one of those big cooking shows like chopped could have a field day in the pantry shelves at my house. the whole grains are different than most(maybe not among this group tho. :) ) like amaranth and sorghum. The spices and herb drawer is packed to point of it is hard to open. I can make Achiote paste from scratch. I have to say I do have to get a few more of the more common stuff as I am running a bit low.
and blueberry poptarts at the moment cuz I has a weakness.. :hide

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to agree with Throttlejockey, prices at the big "clubs" can be more than what you would pay on the loos leaders at a local store. Having a well stocked pantry lets us buy whats on sale. That saves a bunch, plus we don't have the membership fees, and the gas to drive 50 miles each way. Everyone has their own method, and what works for us may not work for you.

As far as the hot sauce goes, I love the Tapatio hot sauce. In my neck of the woods it is found in the hispainc aisle, and cheap. I use it in most everything. In some dishes, a littlt dab will dooya, but others call for more. Usually more, if the kids aren't watching.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Throttlejockey wrote
I only keep two basic commercial hot sauces, sriracha and franks, the rest I make myself
I don't know that I have ever had commercial Sriracha, but I made some last year that is really tasty. Let me know if you want the recipe.

I suppose the weirdest things I have in the pantry are all the various Asian ingredients, and the weirdest from that lot are probably the mini dried fish and shrimps. They make good fish stock, when fresh fish is lacking. And my Korean sister in law does some interesting dishes with them, which I always intend to learn to do, but haven't yet. (On the other hand, she hasn't learned much American cooking either, so I do "western", and she does "Korean" :lol:). I also have some dried fiddlehead ferns (also given me by SIL), but I don't really like them, so haven't used them. Maybe I just don't particularly like the Korean way of cooking them. And one packet of dried squid that I was given in Japan; its an interesting, chewy "Japanese jerky" sort of thing.

I would LOVE a recipe for sriracha! I have a Korean friend (man can his mom cook! Best kimchi I've ever had) that introduced me to it about 25 years ago at a mexican restaurant of all places. We keep about 6-10 bottles on hand at all times. Here is a pic of the stuff we get, it also comes in a jar and is more like a paste that way.
sriracha.jpg

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
ORChick said:
Throttlejockey wrote

I would LOVE a recipe for sriracha! I have a Korean friend (man can his mom cook! Best kimchi I've ever had) that introduced me to it about 25 years ago at a mexican restaurant of all places. We keep about 6-10 bottles on hand at all times. Here is a pic of the stuff we get, it also comes in a jar and is more like a paste that way.
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o348/prajna79/sriracha.jpg
That looks like a bottle of what my brother calls "Cock Sauce," due to the rooster on the bottle. He loves it, I don't care for it, I will still take my Tapitio any day.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ORChick, I keep nori in the pantry, too. And the little dried shrimp and fish are awesome. I like the fish as just a snack. I could get my old schipperke to do any trick for them. She loved the things. I haven't picked up any of the dried squid in a while. We used to eat it regularly as a snack. Fish jerky!

I have fish sauce as well. It works in many things to add just a bit of enhancement. It doesn't add fishiness.

We always get the oxtail from our beef and from Mom's. I should ask if my Great Aunt uses it anymore. I may be able to get hers as well. Everyone gives me their soup bones, and I've been getting a lot of spare ribs from everyone this last year. They think they are to greasy and to much of a hassle to cook. Even if I don't eat them, the dogs love them.

Tongue is something else we get that a lot of people give funny looks about. But once it's all cooked and peeled, it's just awesome. Hubby won't eat heart because of some mental issue he says. I don't like the taste of most liver. So I just cook up a meal with both and we each have what we want. He did promise to try it when I make stuffed heart on the next one we get.

I know there is other stuff in there, but I can't think anymore tonight.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
You guys know sams club is actually more expensive than the other options right?
On some items, yes it is indeed. But I have compared pricing to our regular grocers and I can get a lot of things cheaper than normal sale pricing there. It depends on the item. I can get all my flour and baking goods there for a lot less. They also offer some items my local grocers don't carry. There are benefits to Sam's, but you do have to watch what you're buying...really just like anywhere else. :hu

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
ThrottleJockey said:
You guys know sams club is actually more expensive than the other options right?
On some items, yes it is indeed. But I have compared pricing to our regular grocers and I can get a lot of things cheaper than normal sale pricing there. It depends on the item. I can get all my flour and baking goods there for a lot less. They also offer some items my local grocers don't carry. There are benefits to Sam's, but you do have to watch what you're buying...really just like anywhere else. :hu
I have always found this to be true. it does depend on what you are looking for. I save quite a bit shopping here and I will continue to do so as long as I am saving money.