What do you substitute for 'cream of X' soup?

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am certainly going to try that canning recipe. I use this recipe several times a week. I fix it up as I am cooking dinner, since I'm not brave enough to can the dairy. I know I posted it elsewhere, but it seemed to fit in this thread, too.

Cream of Chicken Soup

This recipe yields about the same as 2 cans cream of chicken soup whisked with one can of milk which is what I used BEFORE finding this great recipe! I usually '5x' this for saucy meals.

2 Tbsp melted butter (or red palm oil...it's even better!)

3 Tbsp. freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup chicken broth (I use 1/2 cup water and 2 tsp. Frontier Naturals chicken-flavored broth powder)

1/2 cup milk

1/4 tsp. salt

Whisk flour into melted butter slowly until smooth. Remove from heat and gradually add liquids, stirring with whisk until smooth. Return to medium heat. Add salt, cook and stir till smooth and thick (about 10 minutes).

Easy and NO chemical additives, preservatives, etc, though the quality of your chicken bouillon is important. Find and use Frontier Naturals!! This is a multi-purpose gravy that substitutes for all the "Cream of" soups:

For celery, omit chicken broth, use one cup milk and add 1 cup sauteed celery.

For beef dishes, use beef broth powder instead.

We don't eat mushroom, but you could experiment and figure out how many mushrooms are right!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I mean, what kind of goofball tears up when she hears her jars "ping" in the kitchen while she is working in her office.
....... me...... :hide
I'm finding the real me too.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
:weee So glad Free linked this thread in the other cream of mushroom thread!!! I've been wanting to find recipes for crem of ___ soups so I can can them and have them instead of using storebought canned stuff!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Anything for you, my dear! ;) We will be having canned pork loin warmed up in cream of mushroom soup tonight for supper! So quick and easy. And healthy. And absolutely delicious!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Anything for you, my dear! ;) We will be having canned pork loin warmed up in cream of mushroom soup tonight for supper! So quick and easy. And healthy. And absolutely delicious!
That sounds great!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH was just asking about keeping cream soups on hand for quick meals, and I remembered reading this thread ages ago (before I started pressure canning, and so didn't pay much attention). So I looked it up, and thought that some of the newer members might also be interested. I think that I will make some cream of mushroom soup soon :)

Latest posts