1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What Do You Think Is Essential?

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by so lucky, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Nov 5, 2013
    wooddustmaker

wooddustmaker Lovin' The Homestead

I would say that is as basic as you could get. Start there and add to it to suit your needs. Water is critical. Most everything that was on the "list of 37 things" required a lot of water. Even for a short term ie 72-96 hour emergency, it will take a lot more water than one would think. Without water, there is no life.

2. Nov 6, 2013
    FarmerChick

FarmerChick Super Self-Sufficient

Whew. Thank goodness you have no say in how I plan to survive and move forward in hard times :) It is good to know you don't control it all in this world.

I agree with the next stage of living and survival is important just to move your life into comfort after a diaster situation. The internet is an important source and while a book in hand is valuable obviously, to always say the internet is useless is wrong. All sources to gather info is important. I find word of mouth on topics one of my best resources. But you can't put word of mouth in your hand but you sure can go off and buy a book on that info someone told you or find and print valuable info off the internet to further your resources.

I agree wooddustmaker. water is key to life and without it no one can move forward to even obtain food. water storage and availability is number one to me in any length of disaster. I have a pool and a filtering system I bought stored for emergencies and I have a creek running thru our farm and a small pond available on my land also.

fire prep. fire to boil water. fire to keep warm if needed. fire to sterilize equipment if needed.

canning your own harvest.

A good social group of like friends that have resources and you know are reliable. People are valuable resources to draw upon.

Frustratedmotherearth said it for me. I don't have years and years of preps handled, but I am doing what is necessary for survival in shorter disasters and hope I can come thru it all and with my family in tact.

No one can be fully prepared for anything. Circumstances can change your preps and situation in a blink of an eye. But we all must act in our own way to our own situations and thoughts.

3. Nov 7, 2013
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

The beans could also be sprouted, which would provide some greens in winter if you live in an area where snow covers the ground for a large portion of winter.

4. Nov 20, 2013
    Daffodils At The Sea

Daffodils At The Sea Power Conserver

Here's a 21-brick, $10 rocket stove that is very nice, easy to boil water and cook with, with just small sticks

Putting a grate on top would work just as well.

I think the thin mesh (hardware cloth) between layers 1 and 2 are so that no air escapes at that level out the sides and back. Putting a grate at that level might open it up too much.

http://youtu.be/r66jjYdBmg8

(SurvivalCommonSense)

The metal stand covered with 1" pavers underneath it looks good, too, although he didn't mention it in this episode.

-------

thanks, So Lucky :)