What Do You Think Is Essential?

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would say that is as basic as you could get. Start there and add to it to suit your needs. Water is critical. Most everything that was on the "list of 37 things" required a lot of water. Even for a short term ie 72-96 hour emergency, it will take a lot more water than one would think. Without water, there is no life.

Icu4dzs said:
snapshot said:
This will supply nearly 2,000 calories/day for one year with adequate protein and fat. If you know what wild foods to forage for greens or can grow a small patch of greens, you can provide vitamins at no additional cost. You will also need salt and will want some other seasonings. You may be able to grow or forage for fruits, nuts, peppers etc.

This is prob one of the more boring diets in existence, but my mother told me this is the diet that kept her family alive through the depression and WWII. They did have a garden and grew lots of collards.

1. Pinto beans, 50 pounds at Sams Club for 25.43 1500 cal/pound = 75,000
2. Field corn, 50 pounds at Feed Store for 6.50 1500 cal/pound = 75,000
3. Bakers liquid shortening 35 # at Sam's 22.49 3500 cal/pound = 122,500 calories

Buy one container liq shortening $22.49, 2 bags of beans $50.86, 6 bags of corn $39.00, Total 112.35

This was posted in 2008 by a friend of mine. Prices are probably up some.
Nice work here. This particular post is succinct and attainable. The volumes are within reach of even the smallest apartment.
It may be "boring" but life can continue in a normal manner this way.
Great post!
Trim sends

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Frankly, I don't give a rip what FarmerChick eats or doesn't eat. That is her business.

What I care about is living. While I am Living, I may have to do some "surviving" but I plan to go back to living again as soon as it is possible and intend to make it as comfortable to do as I can, with the knowledge I have now and what is stored in books (not the internet).Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//
Whew. Thank goodness you have no say in how I plan to survive and move forward in hard times :) It is good to know you don't control it all in this world.

I agree with the next stage of living and survival is important just to move your life into comfort after a diaster situation. The internet is an important source and while a book in hand is valuable obviously, to always say the internet is useless is wrong. All sources to gather info is important. I find word of mouth on topics one of my best resources. But you can't put word of mouth in your hand but you sure can go off and buy a book on that info someone told you or find and print valuable info off the internet to further your resources.

I agree wooddustmaker. water is key to life and without it no one can move forward to even obtain food. water storage and availability is number one to me in any length of disaster. I have a pool and a filtering system I bought stored for emergencies and I have a creek running thru our farm and a small pond available on my land also.

fire prep. fire to boil water. fire to keep warm if needed. fire to sterilize equipment if needed.

canning your own harvest.

A good social group of like friends that have resources and you know are reliable. People are valuable resources to draw upon.

Frustratedmotherearth said it for me. I don't have years and years of preps handled, but I am doing what is necessary for survival in shorter disasters and hope I can come thru it all and with my family in tact.

No one can be fully prepared for anything. Circumstances can change your preps and situation in a blink of an eye. But we all must act in our own way to our own situations and thoughts.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
snapshot said:
This will supply nearly 2,000 calories/day for one year with adequate protein and fat. If you know what wild foods to forage for greens or can grow a small patch of greens, you can provide vitamins at no additional cost. You will also need salt and will want some other seasonings. You may be able to grow or forage for fruits, nuts, peppers etc.

This is prob one of the more boring diets in existence, but my mother told me this is the diet that kept her family alive through the depression and WWII. They did have a garden and grew lots of collards.

1. Pinto beans, 50 pounds at Sams Club for 25.43 1500 cal/pound = 75,000
2. Field corn, 50 pounds at Feed Store for 6.50 1500 cal/pound = 75,000
3. Bakers liquid shortening 35 # at Sam's 22.49 3500 cal/pound = 122,500 calories

Buy one container liq shortening $22.49, 2 bags of beans $50.86, 6 bags of corn $39.00, Total 112.35

This was posted in 2008 by a friend of mine. Prices are probably up some.
The beans could also be sprouted, which would provide some greens in winter if you live in an area where snow covers the ground for a large portion of winter.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here's a 21-brick, $10 rocket stove that is very nice, easy to boil water and cook with, with just small sticks

Putting a grate on top would work just as well.

I think the thin mesh (hardware cloth) between layers 1 and 2 are so that no air escapes at that level out the sides and back. Putting a grate at that level might open it up too much.

http://youtu.be/r66jjYdBmg8

(SurvivalCommonSense)

The metal stand covered with 1" pavers underneath it looks good, too, although he didn't mention it in this episode.

-------

thanks, So Lucky :)

Latest posts