What Do You Think Is Essential?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
wooddustmaker said:
As I have read what has been posted thus far, it does bring a few questions to mind. What are you preparing for? Are you going to bug out, so to speak, or stay where you are. That can change the scope of what is essential, in my mind. Everyone is different. There have been some good things posted, and what works for one, may not work for another.

If you are going to stay where you are, you would have a different list of essentials than if you were going to try to carry it all out on your back. Things are different for each individual.

Possibly, if the original poster gave us a bit more info as to what they were trying to do, we could give advice that may fit in. I plan on staying at home if at all possible. If there is no power, etc. we are striving for back up plans. What is "essential" all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Having the right tools to do that is essential. It will be different for everyone.
Great comments :thumbsup

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, as the OP, my question was to see what we would think would be the 37 food items that would be on the list. He said they were common items from the grocery store, so that would probably rule out the huge buckets of beans and rice that some of us would assume would be included. I also doubt that this anonymous person would be very concerned about food additives, preservatives and such. He did say "food items" so that would preclude heating fuel, medical supplies, ammo, etc. The 6-month time frame was an arbitrary choice on my part. We could be talking about 3 months.
Some of my guesses include liquor, as a bargaining tool. Also, salt, oil, canned meat/fish, sugar, vinegar, canned veggies, canned soups, dried fruits, packaged or in-the-shell nuts.
At any rate, I was not expecting the thread to become contentious over carbs vs protein. But I also realize some of us have pretty strong opinions, lol! so we can let this thread die an natural death, or try to think of what other items somebody else thinks are essential. :/

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So Lucky, thanks for responding back. Now I know more of what you were looking for. As far as my grocery store goes, I can buy large buckets of beans, wheat, and rice. They are reasonably priced too. I am thinking the guy just wanted your money for a list that would most likely do you no good.

Here is an idea. Maybe we can "reverse engineer" his list. What would you list as your 37 items? Maybe we can get enough ideas to cross reference to the way of thinking accrossed this board and come up with a decent list for all of us. It may even include more than 37 items. Any input from anyone? Good idea or not? Lets see what happens.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At the top of a list I read recently was a generator. REALLY?? I have a generator and after a hurricane blows through here, taking out power lines and tearing things apart--NEWS FLASH!!! THERE IS NO GAS!! So just what good is a generator out of gas gonna do for me? :lol:

After hurricane Ike, I went right back to work. I worked for a garbage company and there was no down time, we were up and running. The boss sent out a driver in a pick up every day with everyone's gas cans, so we could feed our generators and have gas to get back to work. Other wise, my freezer and refrigerator would have gone into meltdown. In a similar situation, how many people can drive 3-4 hours ONE WAY to find a gas station that has gas and the electricity to pump it with?

Plan A=generator.
Plan B=scrap plan A

:lol: :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a generator after hurricane Ike too - and I had as much gas as I could store! We went nearly 2 weeks without power, but with gas rationing, we still had plenty of gas left.... HOWEVER .... I would never be able to store enough for six months! So... like Baymule said... what good is a generator without gas????

I think I'd like to have an alternate power source...maybe a solar well pump or something. I can plan and prepare for a lot of things - but being without water long term isnt one of them. We do have a small pond, but it's low right now and I'd need a serious way to make it clean and drinkable....

DH and I've been kicking around options, but we haven't made a decision or a plan just yet - need to get off the pot I guess! lol

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The list, if I recall correctly, was a list of the first 100 things to dissapear. I took that to mean off of store shelves in a panic.

There are alternative ways of powering a generator. There are also other components that can be put together in a system to utilize the most of what you have. That is what I am doing to bide my time until I can afford the small solar set up I will need to handle the basic requirements of my household.

It does take a bit of research, and sometimes thinking outside the box. It can also be a sacrifice to do without some things to allow you to have the means to obtain others. I think that sometimes that means you have to sit down and make a list of wants and needs, than prioritize that list, and start whittling away at it. That is how I do it, but it may not work for you.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting that this has turned into a survivalist question about what's "necessary." What about just what is personally necessary need for our happy life?

I do live off the grid, but I don't feel like I have to "survive." Unless things take an unexpected change, America is in good enough shape that I can keep my laptop, my internet connection and my address where they deliver stuff, most of it for my job. So maybe that's what's necessary these days :)

I personally agree with Denim Deb, chocolate! I have the T shirt that says, Save the Earth, It's the Only Planet With Chocolate!

I also need the ocean, I can't be away from it. I also need space around me, lots of sunshine, and something hot to drink. I think I've mentioned before, I can face almost any lousy situation if I have something hot to drink. A solar oven can do that in a pinch, most times where I am.

I also need a comforter on the bed that is warm enough, at least two layers of fleece jackets. I love yogurt, but have to buy milk for it. I love nuts, which I have to buy.

Other than that I grow my own vegetables and can eat seasonally from them for most of the year. :)

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention my knitting stash. I think that might outlast any natural disaster :)

Sorry, I see now that this is under emergency preparedness. Don't know how I linked in here, but I thought it was a general question. Didn't mean to sound flippant. :)

You guys on the Gulf Coast, wow, I am sorry you have to go through all that. Some crazy weather. And I have gone through the elderly parent thing, it's tough under normal circumstances, not to mention an emergency situation. Wish you guys the best of luck this season :)

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"Interesting that this has turned into a survivalist question about what's "necessary." What about just what is personally necessary need for our happy life?" Qoute from the post below.

Excellent way to put it. What is nessecary for me may not be what you need.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Daffodil, you didn't sound flippant to me, just cheerful.
And yes, 'necessary' is relative.