Vegetable Spaghetti

Flowers/herbs

Basil - Emily
Borage
Echinacea Purpurea
Yarrow
Dwarf Jewel Mix - Nasturtium -
Orange Hawaii - Marigold, French

This is what I am ordering from bakers creek. I'm getting peppers and tomatoes and lots more herbs as plants in town. I need garlic too. Strawberries are going to be in a pallet garden. Could you grow raspberry and such in a pallet garden too? What are your can not be without herbs? I have lavender,thyme,and a couple mints already.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
For herbs, parsley, basil, mint, dill, cilantro.
How about potatoes?
Carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, summer squash/zucchini, cabbage?

Sounds good, though :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Garlic and shallots should(properly) be planted in the fall. you can plant and grow them this spring but the size will be tiny.. :( and if you have the room put in a tiny plot of little finger carrots! my family loves those little things and you can cram them in almost anywhere. we even grew some in a window box one year.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The root crops will be at my friends house. We have brick clay here so there a no go.:( I promised my two yr old carrots though somehow. I forgot them! Hoping over to the Baker Creek site to order now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Am i missing tomatoes on that list or do you just not eat/grow those? I just can't imagine a garden without them :lol:

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Am i missing tomatoes on that list or do you just not eat/grow those? I just can't imagine a garden without them :lol:
I really don't eat them just use them for things sauces and stuff. I'll be buying what I need as plants. I've tried to grow them and they just dye. It's a big family joke now.:rolleyes:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I see the following on your list:
cukes
melon
amaranth
beans
popcorn
spinach
flax
salading
onion
zucchini
pumkin
squash
a few herbs
peppers
tomatoes
strawberries
garlic

There are a few holes, but it sounds like a friend is growing some of what you can't?
We grow:
beans (for drying and freezing)
beets (for canning and pickling)
cabbage (keep in cold storage)
carrots (keep in cold storage)
corn (haven't been successful in years, season is too short)
cukes (eating fresh, pickling)
lettuce/salading (eating fresh)
onions, chives (keep in storage)
parsnips (keep in cold storage)
peas (freezing or drying)
potatoes (keep in cold storage)
pumpkin, squash (keep in cold storage)
radishes (eating fresh)
rutabagas (keep in cold storage)
brussels sprouts (keep in cold storage)
celery (eating fresh, freezing)
peppers (eating fresh, freezing)
tomatoes (eating fresh, canning)
raspberries (eating fresh, freezing)
strawberries (eating fresh, freezing)
apples (keep in cold storage, canning)
and we forage for saskatoon berries (eating fresh, freezing)

Hope that helps!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Same here tomatoes and more tomatoes!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
ninny said:
Wannabefree said:
I really don't eat them just use them for things sauces and stuff. I'll be buying what I need as plants. I've tried to grow them and they just dye. It's a big family joke now.:rolleyes:
Maybe we can help you learn to start those yourself if you're willing. I used to couldn't gte them to grow to save my life, but after learning the proper way, i am having great success and have found them quite easy!! Just let me know if you'd like some pointers :) The darn things are expensive to buy!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
ninny said:
Wannabefree said:
Maybe we can help you learn to start those yourself if you're willing. I used to couldn't gte them to grow to save my life, but after learning the proper way, i am having great success and have found them quite easy!! Just let me know if you'd like some pointers :) The darn things are expensive to buy!
Ditto this, we've been growing our own tomatoes from seed for something like 16 years now :)

Whenever I've bought a tomato plant (for a different variety, or the first year we lived in this house when we didn't do much of a garden) I've been shocked at how much they cost.