What else should I get?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I start all my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant every year and I like Martino's Roma and San Marzano and won't be without them however I usually grow a dozen paste tomatoes. Royal chico from Baker Creek was very nice and if you want a very large paste try Sausage or Polish Linguisa. For "regular" tomatoes Homestead, Box Car Willie, Purple Perfect, Micado Violettor and Flamingo are heavy producers and taste wonderful. Sorry if thats too much info but I love tomatoes and grow 100 to 125 varieties every year, most of them heirloom. Also when it comes to blossom end rot a quick fix is epsom salts, I side dress the affected plants with 1 tablespoon and water in, if plants still show signs repeat. Also if anyone would like to swap some tomato seeds I'm always looking for something unique.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
I start all my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant every year and I like Martino's Roma and San Marzano and won't be without them however I usually grow a dozen paste tomatoes. Royal chico from Baker Creek was very nice and if you want a very large paste try Sausage or Polish Linguisa. For "regular" tomatoes Homestead, Box Car Willie, Purple Perfect, Micado Violettor and Flamingo are heavy producers and taste wonderful. Sorry if thats too much info but I love tomatoes and grow 100 to 125 varieties every year, most of them heirloom. Also when it comes to blossom end rot a quick fix is epsom salts, I side dress the affected plants with 1 tablespoon and water in, if plants still show signs repeat. Also if anyone would like to swap some tomato seeds I'm always looking for something unique.
Please share some pictures! How many plants do you tend in a year. And what do you do with all of them? :bow You are the Tomato Queen!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
desertcat said:
Emerald,
Let me know what you think about the Rio Grands. I tried them last year and the mockingbirds thought they were great...didn't leave me a single one! Was going to try them again, but decided to go with more beans and fewer varieties of tomatoes.
I sure will.. the only reason I got them is the dollar tree near us had seed racks out and at 4 for a buck(and OP to boot) and I let the grand daughter pick some out.. she also picked a packet of large red cherry that is OP and I've grown it before and very tasty but not really the tiny cherry tomatoes that they have on the market now days!
I have bird problems with my cherry trees(when the deer aren't chewing them sheesh!) and this last year I finally had a huge bloom and sure nuf it was in march with that 80degree stretch so they frosted out and got nothing. I told the neighborhood kids that if we get snowman snow this year that they were to roll huge balls of it under all my fruit trees and pack it in deep.. maybe it will stave off early warming again!
Back to seeds! and tomatoes!
I did go back to using an old stand by this last year due to my surgery I wasn't sure how much garden I could keep up with and wanted a few canning tomatoes.. Rutgers. the ones I have are a smaller determinate plant that ripens most of it's fruit with in a couple weeks and was much easier for me to deal with.. all the rest were just cherry tomatoes for the grand babies.. green gooseberry(very good taste once you figure out when the silly thing is ripe!) Yellow submarine(a bright yellow cherry with a pear shape and better flavor than just yellow pear) Black cherry(just a dark purple cherry. great flavor) and way away from my main garden a stray couple plants that we pulled out of some very nice grape type tomatoes that we were having at a restaurant.. Grand daughter is old enuf that she put the two and two together that "seeds in tomato" can we "grow some gamma" will talk me into anything. They were a bit bigger than what we were eating but tasty and bright red and still grape shaped.. I saved some from them too but pretty sure that most grape tomatoes on the market as food are probably hybrids and it may not even look the same this year.. ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
ninny said:
Corn Woman said:
Please share some pictures! How many plants do you tend in a year. And what do you do with all of them? :bow You are the Tomato Queen!
....and I thought "I" was going tomato crazy this year :th I want to see pics too!!! :D

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK I will get it together and post some pics. I usually tend about 300 tomato plants. cherries, beefsteaks. pastes, and so many colors it's hard to list them all. I should really catalog everything that I have but then it wouldn't be fun anymore. Funny you said tomato queen because that's what people call me around here.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
OK I will get it together and post some pics. I usually tend about 300 tomato plants. cherries, beefsteaks. pastes, and so many colors it's hard to list them all. I should really catalog everything that I have but then it wouldn't be fun anymore. Funny you said tomato queen because that's what people call me around here.
:celebrate

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK I'm a slow learner when it comes to tech stuff but here goes.

Indigo Rose Cherry
2787_212.jpg

Flamingo from Baker Creek I highly recommend this if you like pink tomatoes
2787_217.jpg

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your making me hungry!:lol: Do you have pictures of the whole garden? How big was it? Any idea how many pounds you got out of it?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will look for pics of the whole garden. The size is aprox. 85x105 Not really accurate because I stepped it off one year and guessed. I have some tomato seeds that I would be happy to share If your interested. I could send you Clear Pink Early and Grushovka both of them determinate, early season and pink.
Easy to grow, productive, sweet and have nice thin skin. Grushovka is egg shaped. PM me with your address Ninny and I can give you 10 seeds from each. :)

BTY if anyone has Silvery Fir Tree tomato seeds I am looking for those and can trade another heirloom variety for them. Tell me what your looking for and lets trade.