What excites you?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
As I was doing some journal reading today, I came across hen23's post about getting a new sewing machine. She was excited about it. That spurred me to thinking about how much things that excite me has changed over the last few years.

My DH and I have been blessed through the years with a successful business that enabled us to buy many things. We always drove new cars, have nice jewelry or the latest toys. Now, none of that "gets me goin" anymore. The thought of a brand new car doesn't appeal to me at all, I like the one I've had for years.

A big part of this "revelation" or "revolution" in my life is mostly due to a couple of things. One - downsizing our business (and income), Two - finding this forum, and Three - a certain pride in developing new skills and abilities. (The I CAN do it, fix it, build it, grow it or maintain it syndrome)

So I guess the things that excite me now are just the simple stuff:

canning jars - found on the cheap
justusnak's jar - finding that would excite me
the candle chandalier that I found at Goodwill (heck, just going to Goodwill)
the dump material DH brought me
ripening veggies and the preservation of them
goats (I think), if I can talk DH into them
heirloom bean seed a friend gave me
giving homemade gifts
a good batch of fresh baked bread
going to the Amish market

There's a whole lot more, but ya'll get the idea.

So, what gets you goin?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great post punkin!

The things that excite me have also changed over the years. Some have anyways, I've always been excited by a bargain at a thrift store :) But the things I shop for have changed, now I go everyday looking for canning jars, shelving units that will fit in my house to store my canned & dried foods, BIG cooking pots. I still go check the shoes though :lol:

Sooo, eating food I grew/made/processed myself
Watching mama deer chase the dogs away from her baby
Seeing blackberry blossoms early in the summer, knowing I can walk out my back door & have a snack
Waking up at the crack of dawn to the sound of birds
Working hard & going to sleep early to the sound of tree frogs
Sleeping at all without tranqs!!
Getting someone else excited about SS or at least interested
Looking forward to my first egg

ETA: Finding building materials or other really usefull items for free in the trash

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Using non toxic cleaners
Mopping with vinegar water and lavendar vanilla oil
The smell of my clean air dried laundry after using homemade softener
Homemade body scrubs
Any good bargain
Canning
Seed starting
Growing a garden
Harvesting my own veggies
Growing a new veggie!
My chickens
Friday's at the beach
When my students love what we make in class and go home and make it for their families
Sitting outside with Dh in the early evening having a drink and watching the chickens and local wildlife...bunnies, birds and the occasional deer.

Those are all the things that get me excited :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think the one thing that has always excited me and continues to be my biggest source of excitement is seeing the wildlife that our garden attracts, in particular the birds. Right now my garden does not excite me because it is still a work in progress and this is the worst season for me and the garden (it is at the pinnacle of neglect in all aspects except for getting regularly watered). But I can't help but be thrilled that since we have moved here (3 years ago now!) the number and variety of birds that come to our place has astonished me. Now I am also seeing many young birds of many species. It makes me feel good about what we have accomplished and keeps me plugging along.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound like I'm pretty set in my ways....and I not! But....the things that used to excite me, still do. Ever since I could formulate a thought, I wanted to be a farmer and be like my granny and my mom.

I've never been a typical girl/woman and would get more excited over new tires than any piece of jewelry on the market.....no matter its value. Now.....if it were worth a big bundle, I wouldn't mind having it so I could sell it and buy some farm land..... :p

When I tell folks I got my mom a load of manure for Mother's Day and they look at me like I'm an idiot......I then tell them that half that load was my OWN Mother's Day present! :lol:

What else can you expect from a woman whose mother's favorite outdoors activity is weed eating? :hu

If I had to say what excites me it would be life.....MY life! :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bee, I'm with ya on that! Isn't it nice to have a mom like that? My mom and I have tons in common too.

I also get a thrill out of the birds that are attracted to the garden and orchard. I have three fat swallow chicks hanging out of their nest box awaiting their parents tireless efforts to rid my yard of mosquitos and feed them.

This is my first "big girl" garden, it was always too hot to garden big in TX and I hated being outside. My garden is so lush and full of all things edible. That is exciting.

My horses are in a nice mild climate, in my back yard! No more driving to get to them. A nice ride is just 20 yards away at all times. Riding my favorite horse in the world excites me the most...especially when we go fast and bareback!

I have this great big chestnut tree that feels like a cave when you go under it. That is the best place to read a book! We have not been to a movie since we've moved up here. TV only comes on after 9:00 or 9:30 if at all.

There is tons more that excites me about this new life, I feel like I'm alive for the first time, eyes wide open.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Punkin :frow Hey Great Idea for a thread :clap

Things I get excited about or that make me happy:

Spending time with my family and friends :love

Working in the garden and Greenhouse with DH :love :love :love

Eating our latest harvest fresh from the garden. :p yumm

the fact that DH built our Greenhouse and is planning to build more. :love

Plans going forward on the Build of our Straw Bale home :celebrate :celebrate

Watching my ducks play in the pond :lol:

Watching my Grandson ride my Morgan Mare in the pasture :love

Hatching chicks and ducklings :love

Sharing eggs from our hens with family and friends.

The clean fresh smell of air fluffed line dried clothes :cool: aaahhhh sweet

That is just the Top Ten of my Happiness list

Oh I also love just being on the lake with Dh in his boat. :love

It takes so little to make me happy and usually it is simple :celebrate :love :hugs

:frow Karan :D :D

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
Punkin :frow Hey Great Idea for a thread :clap

Things I get excited about or that make me happy:

Spending time with my family and friends :love

Working in the garden and Greenhouse with DH :love :love :love

Eating our latest harvest fresh from the garden. :p yumm

the fact that DH built our Greenhouse and is planning to build more. :love

Plans going forward on the Build of our Straw Bale home :celebrate :celebrate

Watching my ducks play in the pond :lol:

Watching my Grandson ride my Morgan Mare in the pasture :love

Hatching chicks and ducklings :love

Sharing eggs from our hens with family and friends.

The clean fresh smell of air fluffed line dried clothes :cool: aaahhhh sweet

That is just the Top Ten of my Happiness list

Oh I also love just being on the lake with Dh in his boat. :love

It takes so little to make me happy and usually it is simple :celebrate :love :hugs

:frow Karan :D :D
I think you forgot to add - using smilies :gig

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
For me there are things that make me tingle and there are things that make me smile.

An example of a tingle would be, releasing the trans-brake button on my 900hp race car, then watching the race track disappear as the front tires head for the sky on a sub-nine second pass, topping out at over 150 mph. THAT my friends, is a rush!

Things that make me smile?

Standing in my garden,eating the first ripe tomato of the season.

A small campfire, cold beer and friends.

Talking to my chickens and have them answer you.

The smell of grass being cut the very first time in the spring.

Planning and planting our garden every spring.

Cooking, baking or smoking anything, and/or preserving the days harvest, whether it be hot bath canning, pressure canning or freezing, always brings a smile to my face because it reminds me of Mom and what she taught me.

Taking the dogs to the lake for a swim.

After a long hard day, setting down with a cold beer and looking at how much was accomplished that day(like working on the new shed) and planning for the next day.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is tons more that excites me about this new life, I feel like I'm alive for the first time, eyes wide open
Great description!!!

THAT, BBH, is the same feeling I've had all my life with this SS lifestyle. And that is why I shake my head in pity at the scurry and worry of my friends and co-workers. And its more than just living in the country, because they all live in the country just like me.

It has to do more with living IN the country. Just like you said....eyes wide open. Noticing how the air smells, how the colors contrast or blend, the sweet sounds, the changing of the seasons and all that come with them. You won't find me complaining much about the weather as I love the all the weather we get here.

It has to do with not caring about keeping up with the Joneses....heck, its about not even knowing or caring what the Joneses are up to! :lol: