What food do you hate?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I dislike beets too. I love tuna and brussel sprouts though lol! Rueben sandwich...never had one but I think I'd like them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been having a hard time coming up with a food I don't like! But, as soon as beets were mentioned... Not that I dislike them, but they put me in the ER several years back. I had been working in the garden - and it was a great garden that year! I was into one of my "health kicks" and had been juicing regularly. I loved using beets in my juice - it's sweet and colorful and what could be better?

I had been waiting for the day I could use my homegrown beets in my juice. I was so excited - cucumbers from the garden, organic apples, and fresh beets. I drank it... yum... but my throat felt funny so I drank some more. Within minutes I was weak, trembling, couldn't talk, could barely swallow and was as sick as I had ever been in my life. I was bent over the kitchen sink trying to call DH and couldn't make anything more than a hoarse whisper. I struggled to just walk into the living room where he was.... couldn't call his name so I beat on the wall to get his attention. Off to the ER we went. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to the juice - but what it was causing my illness was all the oxalic acid in the really fresh beets. Oxalic acid is the same compound found in the houseplant Dumbcane. (guess how it got its name?)

Thankfully, by the time a 'fresh' beet makes it to the grocery store the levels have dropped significantly and there's no problem with them.

This is my WARNING! Be careful with raw fresh beets and beet greens!

Oh - and I haven't eaten another beet since that day!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weird!!! I love beets, never heard of that but I've also never had success growing my own. Now I know to be careful if mine cooperate this year!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Fresh spinach is the same I believe...being high in oxalic acid. Glad you survived!!! I'd have probably had a panic attack. I can't stand not being able to breathe.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was not a fun time! Scared the daylights outta me and I'm not usually that way. I can dang near cut a finger off and marvel at how I can see the bone - or "weed whack" my leg and wonder how that skin that's hanging down is ever gonna grow back the right way, lol. But the beet episode was worrisome to say the least.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apparently cooking the beets must neutralize things, because I've never had a problem with the freshest beets when I boil or roast them. hmmm

For me, the foods I hate are caraway seeds, cooked apricots, and raw oysters. It's the texture of the oysters- I don't like the fact that they are sliding down your throat before you've even decided if you want to eat it or not. The other two are a taste problem. Even one caraway seed can ruin a whole dish for me, and cooked apricots or apricot nectar will make me gag.

I also don't eat lamb or mutton, but that's because I am allergic to it. Very hard to feel enthusiastic about eating something when you know you'll be throwing it up in less than 30 minutes. Good thing I don't live in New Zealand!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Cilantro. I stopped eating at Applebees cause the majority of their food is loaded w/it. Also don't like Old Bay.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bananas. I loathe bananas. They stink, they're mushy, they taste bad and they are gross. I love tomatoes in all their forms, except ketchup. Ketchup is just plain nasty. Mayonnaise I only like if it is used as a binder like potato salad, cole slaw and the like, as long as there's not too much in there. Gloppy mayonnaise goop disguised as food-I will not eat.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish I could eat bananas but I'm allergic to them. I don't eat oysters because I once had a bad one and the worst food poisoning episode. I really don't like fish but will eat it if I cook it for the kids because I tell them to eat what I cook so I try to lead by example and always point out "I'm eating the fish!" I use to get sick when I ate eggs but it turns out just to be store bought eggs make me sick. I hate fish and have got where I can hardly eat seafood of any kind. I will make garbanzo beans like tuna salad instead and my family hardly notices the difference but I can. That I like.