What gardening mistakes did you make that I can avoid?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would say go with the coldest of the 2... that way you don't get frost surprises ;)

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, let's see...if I could narrow it down to my top 3 worst mistakes it would go something like this:

1) I am bad about crowding too many plants together. Things do better when they have their space, they get more sun and nutrients and are less prone to disease. It helps to bring a yardstick with you when you plant so you get your spacing right.

2) Neglecting to mulch BEFORE the weeds show up. Mulching will save you so much time and trouble later, so once the ground is warmed up and everything's in, don't wait too long to do it. All kinds of things make good, free/cheap mulch. Mulching saves you from having to water so much too, and many other side benefits.

3) Letting the chickens out when the tomatoes were almost ripe. Dang chickens! They always go after the biggest tomatoes first! :somad

I could go on and on. :barnie Seems I learn something new every year. I've been seriously gardening for 8 years now and it will probably take me another 8 before it comes easy for me. Ha.

I'm over on TEG all the time. There's some great people over there. We're a pretty congenial bunch and we very rarely have any drama over there. There's folks that are very experienced and knowledgable gardeners and can really get you pointed in the right direction, so don't be afraid to hop on over and ask any questions you have. We like to help! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My lessons from last year....

1) Keep DE around for the flea beetles. It really does help keep them under control.
2) Row covers are essential if I ever hope to get kale, cabbage, etc... Too many things around here LOVE them and unless I want my stuff coated in chemicals, row covers are my only hope.
3) Oyster shells are a good slug deterrent. Also putting some in the holes you dig for your tomatoes plants really help them grow like crazy.
4) Powdery mildew will eventually get squash plants in my area. Have milk on hand and spray often with milk/water to keep it from killing off the plants.
5) Don't be afraid to experiment. I had a couple pay off really well last year. A good ground cherry and sweet potato harvest were pleasant surprises.
6) The raised beds will sink and compact. Have more material to add as the season goes on and don't worry so much about over filling.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I admit, I came into this thread too late to thoroughly read everything, so sorry if this is repeated. Here are some things that I've learned:

I make sure I get a minimum of three inches of good compost a year on my veg gardens. The flowers only get some if there is enough after thoroughly covering the veg beds...I usually use more, 3" spring and some in the fall if I have time.

I tend to forget how big the plants will get and crowd stuff too much. So I end up thinning and eating the thinnings or feeding them to the animals. This works quite well for some crops, like beets, as you can have baby beets w/greens as you thin them.

I plant in wide beds rather than rows to get more into the space. Each bed is about three feet wide, what I can comfortably reach to weed and thin from each side of the bed.

Plant a wide variety of types of veggies. You never know what kind of year it will be, so if you have variety, you will always get plenty of SOMETHING.

Find some space for your perennial herbs. Expand your tastes to veggies and herbs that are not available in the grocery store or that you haven't used much. Some of them may be fairly care-free in your garden.

Plant enough for the critters and your family and a bit to give away. Plant trap crops along the edges to catch some of the bugs. I like marigolds.

Don't assume that you can't grow something because you failed with it the first...or even the second....year with it. It may have been two bad years for that plant, or your learning curve with that plant may be a bit steep for some reason. Get to know experienced gardeners in your area so you can ask!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, I am starting my garden from scratch this year as well cause we just moved.....to the middle of a pasture.

We will be doing raised beds and square foot gardening. We have Virginia red clay and it is a pain to till. Trust me, we tried to plant pumpkins a couple yrs ago and nearly killed ourselves trying to till up a piece of land. We found out about square foot gardening and it worked for us the first year so we will continue.

For us, we put a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the bed and then fill with soil/compost to start with. Over the year we will add more soil/compost mix to each bed. When we are done with the bed for the year we will put cardboard on top of the soil to keep out weeds (in theory).

We will rotate what plants we put in each 4x4ft square to keep from exhausting the soil and encouraging disease. We grew things on trellises before and that worked wonderfully. You would be amazed how much more space you will have if you go vertical.

DO NOT plant everything at the same time. If you love salads and lettuces stagger the planting by 2 weeks and that way everything won't come into season at exactly the same time. Less waste.

Square ft gardening works for us because we don't use as much space and we don't waste a lot of seeds thinning plants out like you would in rows.

With the raised beds we used heavy plastic and pvc pipe attached to the outside of the beds to create mini-greenhouses (think covered-wagon). We were able to keep the seedlings from getting destroyed in the wind and rain we frequently have in the spring.

I want to experiment with different kinds of food but will keep it to a minimum until we see if we like things first. The other thing about a raised bed is that I will be able to let my children have their own gardens this year for them to take care of.

I have to relearn gardening this year because we are in a different location. We have much more wind here so that is going to be a factor. We are in zone 6-7.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions! My biggest tip is just to go out to your garden EVERY DAY and wander around. I have detected a lot of problems that way that were reversible because I caught them early on. Also, I snagged some big plastic tubs from my neighbor that worked awesomely as makeshift raised beds. They came with some kind of molasses supplement he fed to his cows. Cut the bottom off of them and they made the perfect planter for carrots. Be sure to grow varieties that are suited to your growing conditions. I think everything else has been said. :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My lessons learned
- leave plenty of space (mentioned several times before in this thread)
- decide early if tomatoes are going to be staked or not (we use cages, too), helps limit "discussion" on "what are we doing again?" as the plant grow
- understand the kids ball/softball/soccer schedules IN ADVANCE. :) My DW's work kept her busy on the weekends and I spent my free time running a shuttle service, not playing in the gardens
- Have I mentioned about leaving enough space (based on plant variety)? :lol:
- have a plan for what you want to eat and what you want to can/preserve/dry and plant accordingly
- limit DW's involvement in prior step (18 mounds of summer squash, really? :he )
- be willing to put your life on hold when the veggies are ready to pick.
- some things can be cheaper/less stressful if you "outsource" We like to do a lot of sweet corn, so I buy it fresh from the farmer up the road.
- plant veggies the kids will actually eat. :th
- remember, what the kids don't like, the chickens will....have a plan for the hens
- did I mention leaving enough space between rows?

Loving the other comments and ideas, too!!! :clap

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I know a FEW things not very many. But I know that

Potatoe bugs hate ashes (they are a pain)
Chicken poop is not good for potatoes (nitrogen in the poo)
When the corn is up to your knee you can plant beans in with it and they will run up it.
We have found that the raised beds dont work as well as just a plot of land
Sucker the tomatoes for bigger fruits
Sprout peppers in February they take longest to mature
Make sure the tomatoes are pretty sturdy when you set them out or they will get blown over

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I use a combination of square foot gardening and companion planting. I'm able to grow more in less space. For instance, instead of having a separate area for onions, I plant them around my tomatoes.

Also, if you're planting early and late crops, don't have the same family of plants in the same space. It can make it harder to get rid of any pests that are common to that type of plant.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
ALWAYS rotate your crops. Never have potatoes and tomatoes near or in the spots they were in last year. You cant have tomatoes in last years potatoe patch and vice versa.