what gifts are you making this holiday season?

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
Why does everyone feel the need to give gifts? I think it's wasteful.
I am probably going to get skinned for it, but I agree with Hikerchick on this somewhat. Let me say though,..IF you are going to give gifts, homeade is the way to go. I usually do foods, I believe people tend to get more enjoyment from it. Only basic stuff, nothing fancy. IMO people take a lot of effort and finances buying and making things for people and those people usually don't care and the item gets throwed out or something. I am not saying everyone is like that,..just some. I buy things for my children,..very little, I do not believe that is what the holiday season is for. My parents and good friends and neighbors,..like I said, I do food for them.Tins of cookies and fudge, simple stuff. I believe some folks tend to go beserk during the holiday season with the gifts and things get out of hand,..with homemade and purchased gifts.It can be very wasteful. You know, sometimes less is more???

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I just finished my grandsons journal box. It took me a while (months) to come up with 52 questions that I thought a 13 year old boy would find fun to answer and write in his journal.

But its finished and I am thrilled. Got lucky and found a nice journal on sale with a lock and key to put inside the box.

Hickerchick and UTC - no one is going to skin you here. But I don't buy or do for my grandchildren during the year. Birthdays and Christmas is my limit unless there is a major need some other time during the year. Those emergency need things do not happen every year. So I enjoy doing special things for Birthdays and Christmas.

I think a lot of people just enjoy the season and enjoy the making of gifts. You are right about SOME people not appreciating the gifts but most do. So for those that don't oh well.

At my house the grandchildren are the only ones that get "Special Gifts". DH and I don't usually exchage gifts except for things like, replacing a lost screwdriver and I always get bungie cords and zip ties. Those little things are wrapped and handed out so the children will not say things like, Granny, you did not get a present or Poppy, where is your present. Its just a token so everyone has something under the tree.

My homemade food gifts seem to be always welcome by those that recieve them but if they are just pretending I don't care. I had great fun making them.

I guess that brings us back to - enjoying the spirit and the season. Giving gifts is not something I feel like I have to do. Its something I want to do and enjoy doing. I guess for me thats what makes the difference. When it gets to be a chore or a burden I will stop.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream I understand what you are saying. The holidays is for the kids, children, grandchildren,...and it is wonderful that you spent the time making that journal for your grandson. I wish my kids had a grandparent like you! My children do not get "stuff" all the time either. Christmas and birthdays is our policy here. IF they get anything between, they have to pay for it with their own money that they get from doing odd jobs. Yes even my little gal of 6 yrs old helps clean the chicken house, and she gets paid to help. I strive real hard not to "spoil" the kids. At christmas I have a budget for them, $200 on each kid or less, but no more than that. It has been like that since they were born. They get plenty. They make lists, which sometimes can be extremely long, and DH and I pick out what we can for them on that budget. They don't get everything they ask for, but that is the fun in it I think. They actually are surprised on Christmas morning. DH and I don't exchange gifts and never have so the kids don't ask why, it's just normal for them. As for as others,..I do make homemade cookies and candy,etc.,..but not for many. Parents and maybe a few friends. My siblings and extended family members,..well they get holiday cards with a little note in them, maybe a picture. No I don't do homemade cards,.its cheaper to go to the dollar store and by a box for $3,...The reason why I do the things I do at christmas is because I have learned the hard lesson over the years,...Some people take it to the extremes,...making presents or buying them and many people dont appreciate it one way or the other. The holiday season is not so much about that anyway,...thats all I am saying.