What have you changed since being here?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
No more store bought cookies, rolls, cakes, pies, pie crusts and sweet breads.

Really started questioning an item as a need or a want.

Going to thrift shops more.

Finding new uses for old or throw away items.

Stocking my pantry.

Making laundry detergent.

Using up the last of my storebought cleaners and then making my own.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have only been here a few days, but now I feel accountable to y'all, in a good way. I feel I have to try harder and try new things. I can't think of anything new since joining, I spend a lot of time maintaining! :lol:

But I am joining this thread so I will have to report back SOON with something new or I will be embarrassed in front of you....hold me to it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, now I can offer something....I finally made and used my first batch of laundry soap and fabric softener today! I had a load in the dryer from store bought soap, and had my dh do a blind sniff test. He said they smelled almost the same. With some prodding, he said the homemade had a more neutral smell, the storebought had a slight smell, not bad, not good, just barely there. I used unscented soap. So for 1.4 cents per load, it's a no-brainer.

I also made the oxyclean, but haven't used it yet. I will put it in the soak water for my....ahem....homemade feminine products. Which I love, btw.

I made my first gift bag containing a ziploc of powdered mix for the laundry soap and a three page printout of instructions, testimonials, and recipes for the soap, softener, and oxyclean. I will use non-canning jars with fabric tied on top for future gift sets, but we so rarely buy anything in a jar, they are hard to come by....I will ask a couple of friends to save some for me. I am NOT using my canning jars unless it is for someone who cans!

Next on my list: A couple of old flannel topsheets to be cut into squares to use as everyday cloth napkins, and maybe a pile of them for paper-towel replacements. I already use rags a lot, but how much nicer would it be to have a nice little basket of neat little squares on the counter, ready for quick pick-ups? I confess, I will keep a roll of paper towels under the sink for when one of the cats loses his large lunch.....I have my limits!

Any more ideas?