What have you STOPPED doing and not missed a bit!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We also went mortgage-less..back in 2010. Found a darn good deal on a bank foreclosure. DH made a rediculously low offer on the 1 acre property. The bank accepted it :th

So, we now only have 4 bills. Electric, from the local co-op, verizon, netflix, and internet.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Odd duck, I don't miss th yard upkeep either. :woot That was a GOOD one :D

moxie....I am SO happy for you! You are one of the smartest folks I know for having done that. We are debt free except for the house, and boy is the house a doozy! I can't WAIT to be where you are!!!!

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. Mortgage less. That is amazing, and good for you!!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
In terms of moving to SS, there are some things I don't miss a bit!
I make my own laundry soap, and have for 2 years now and will NEVER go back. I also don't use conventional cleaners anymore. Between vinegar, baking soda, peroxide, and occasionally a little cream of tartar, with a few other things thrown in, I don't need any other cleaners. We buy vinegar by the dozen bottles at BJ's which is awesome. I use it for everything. I haven't ever used "normal" fabric softener (vinegar again!), so that expense I don't have. I gave up shampoo and conditioner 2 years ago as well, and have never looked back! I haven't purchased standard body products in about the same length of time.
ETA: we also don't really use the dryer anymore. We are now paying our electric bill (long story) and that is one of the big burners of electricity, so out it went. I only have enough hanging space to dry one load at a time, and it has to sit in the living room, but if it saves $$$$ I am ok with that! The ONLY thing that gets dried is jeans and towels for a few minutes to help keep them from being so stiff!

Thinking about food I VERY VERY RARELY drink soda. One can't avoid a cap'n and coke once in a while. I just don't care to anymore. I don't need it, and I don't want it. I try to avoid eating processed foods as much as possible. I don't miss much of any of it, really. And I find when I do that I find that I really wish I hadn't.
And I'm totally ok with that.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1) no more dish

2) no more dryer

3) make our own laundry soap

i love my goats, but the sheep didnt work out for us. we do rabbits for meat (and now profit) and i like them.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Like Mr. Anderson, I quit drinking entirely. I have issues with reflux, and I never got pleasure from drink in any case, only pain. So that was easy. Also gave up coffee. That was hard. I switched to a grain-based hot drink (Pero) so I can have something in the morning. I've been working on giving up soda, because it also aggravates my reflux. All of those drinks are expensive! Coffee drinks alone can put you in the poorhouse. As a bonus, I notice that I sleep much better without daily caffeine. When I sneak a soda or coffee, I notice that I wake up early in the am with racing thoughts, and I can't get back to sleep. So I am better off without any of it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh that's another good one I didn't even think of...I gave up caffeine a couple years ago. I never was a coffee drinker, but I was a soda junkie. I have just a few a month now and mostly free ones from My Coke Rewards ;)

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been lucky in that I never got all that into soda. I do occasionally brew my own rootbeer, which is my favorite. However, I love me some coffee... perhaps it's those cloudy northwestern days all winter! I am very sensitive to caffeine, but after the baby came around I have NEEDED it to get myself going, in addition to just liking it. Apparently the little one is a morning person! Well, lattes have half the caffeine of a cup of regular coffee and I just happen to have won a very nice machine at a raffle for $10! I get a latte a day for about 50 cents each!:D I also make a mean chai tea! It's closer to being authentic in regards to spices and isn't as sweet as the ones you get at the coffee house due to my own preferences.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I gave up making my own laundry soap.

I know I know, there's great savings in making you own - but in all honesty, I like just picking up a jug of whatever and dumping whatever amount needed into the washer.

And no use of a cheese grater or raw knuckles involved.