What is a Zombie?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have any of y'all watched The Colony???? comes on the discovery channel I think. That is what we are talking about-that kind of disaster-the kind you just can't fathom ever happening. Those people who raid their camp for supplies and steal and vandalize-those are zombies.

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Zombies, Sheeple, Golden Hoard, whatever you want to call it. I try not to focus on it to much, as it can make you paranoid. That being said if you do have a stash of supplies, don't say anything to anyone. They don't need to know. If you want to help others plan for it in your preps.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
I know there will always be bad pockets of society -- I've lived most of my live in L.A., after all. But even during the riots in the early 90s, none of us were fighting off "zombies" -- we just steered clear of the bad parts of town (which most everyone from anywhere else does anyway), and went about our usual business. And mooching, fail-to-prepare family members show up on doorsteps when their own personal S hits the fan, because they are their own walking disasters. (We generally don't help them either, but if their house fell down in an earthquake I would.) But it always seems like there's more to this zombie talk than just lazy family members, one-on-one crime or crappy cops (always a possibility), natural disasters (people "prep" even outside major disaster zones and plan for much more than a few weeks without electricity or whatever), or the possibility of civil unrest stemming from a small pocket of poverty-stricken inner city. These are the kinds of things that make me ask:

i_am2bz said:
I know I would start feeling resentful, despite my best efforts to the contrary, if my 6 months of supplies suddenly became 2 months due to extra folks who didn't take the time/money/effort that I did.
What kind of situation do you foresee that will require both you and other people to need six months of supplies?
k0xxx said:
Also known as the Golden Horde, they could be a real possibility in a TEOTWAKI situation. Unfortunately, I live about 1 full tank away from 2 major cities (600k+), and one smaller city (150k+). Fortunately (for us) these days, not many people are smart enough to keep their tanks full or have fuel on hand to top off their tanks.
What kind if situation do you foresee that will cause people to come streaming out of cities looking for your stuff?

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. (And I hate feeling like I'm missing something obvious!) Thanks!
Wait and watch the news. Flint Mi will be a dead town soon, full of the poor, hungry, sick and insane. Jobs are almost down to nothing, the state is broke, we are stuck with social programs that helps the smallest pocket of the population while the others slowly run Amok. We don't have enough police to catch all the murderers (as seen by the serial killer that they didn't even know about till the 13th person was stabbed) nor enough firemen to stop all the fires on devils night. You can see the city burning for miles... and the smell ... :th

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a friend who lives in Flint. It was bad even back when things were still good for everyone else, I can't imagine how it could be now. He (my friend) tells me but I'm sure I have no concept of what it's really like.

I worry for his safety and keep telling him to come back my way , but it's hard to leave when all your family is there.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Have any of y'all watched The Colony???? comes on the discovery channel I think. That is what we are talking about-that kind of disaster-the kind you just can't fathom ever happening. Those people who raid their camp for supplies and steal and vandalize-those are zombies.
I've watched it. It's somewhat interesting, but mainly because I am very familiar with where the current episodes were filmed. The area is/was known as the Village Square Apartments, and is in the town (Chalmette, La.) where I grew up. My wife and I had even looked into renting there back in the late 70's.

It's funny seeing the artistic license taken with locations, that aren't actually where they are supposed to be, in their story. And there are quite a few obvious flaws (IMAO) in their plot line and scenarios. Still, it's interesting to watch.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I've been WAITING for this show to come up as a topic! I know it's only an "experiment" but it's very thought-provoking...especially when you consider that a real SHTF scenario would be 10 times worse than what they show.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I doubt in a real situation they would JUST kidnap a girl

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the recent episodes, but in the beginning the people on the show had high-profile jobs and talents that everyday people don't always have, so it was kind of biased.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I'm not sure about the recent episodes, but in the beginning the people on the show had high-profile jobs and talents that everyday people don't always have, so it was kind of biased.
Yeah, I thought the same thing...no one I know is a mechanic or inventor (for instance)...it'd be a lot more realistic if the show was populated by couch potatoes. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In my circle of friends there is a graphic designer who gardens and raises ducks (me), a bakery manager who likes to cook and sew (my friend Jo), 3 mechanics (Jo's hubby Chris, and friends Mike & Frank), a paralegal (can crochet), a project manager (I think she can crochet), a defense department contractor (fitness buff), an interior designer (who can also cook, sew and garden), a writer (my hubby...sorta handy...but he didn't learn until late), Abi (who is currently doing tech support but who also was a CNA, can cook, sew, hunt, etc...), a plumber and his wife (avid hunters)....

So a lot of people who have multiple skills. Some of the people were a little "convenient", but you really never know what else people can do unless they are put in a situation where they HAVE to do something. KWIM?