What is the best advice you have ever been given?

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"Never fight a man in his gym."

--The late Ed Barbieri, my former manager and trainer

[Just saw The Fighter with Mark Wahlberg, Amy Adams and Christian Bale, so I'm inspired. Fond memories. :lol:]

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The first thing that popped into my mind was:
"Let go and let God"

Having faith has enabled me to keep on going, when I thought I couldn't or things were just too miserable.
Of course I translate it to fit my wiccan belief, but it works for me.

Another piece of advice:
"Trust your instincts"
or "Trust your Oh Oh feelings"

"Don't forget to breathe"

When you look in the mirror in the morning: smile. It can change your whole day.

Walk into a room with a smile. It'll make 'em wonder what you been up to.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
The best advice I give my coworkers is no one is yelling AT you ... they're yelling in your general direction.

So don't take things personally.

I've found this is actually true in most situations, not just customer service LOL. When my roommate is bitchy, it's rarely AT me even if he is growly in my general direction.

Oh! And another good one from my dad: walk tall. If you slouch, you're begging to be bullied.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice."

It also works if you substitute the word "ignorance" for "stupidity". When I'm peeved at someone, often it's a matter of miscommunication or simply lack of communication. I long ago realized that if I want a good relationship, I can't expect him to be a mind-reader. And he doesn't expect it either. So if a person I consider a rational good person is doing something I consider wrong or bad or hurtful, I try to figure out where the disconnect is - who's missing what information. By and large, it works pretty well - especially with friends or loved ones who are willing to talk about such things and don't just give you the "you should just know" nonresponse...

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Buster said:
"Never fight a man in his gym."

--The late Ed Barbieri, my former manager and trainer

[Just saw The Fighter with Mark Wahlberg, Amy Adams and Christian Bale, so I'm inspired. Fond memories. :lol:]
not "grab your axe and lets go!" ?????

fighter, huh? is that where you got all that hu-rah?

;-)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: :gig OMG I read that line way to fast. I thought you were grabbing something else. :ep

But the axe will work.

:thumbsup

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Know how to change your own tires, oil & belts, but don't tell anyone or they'll call you instead of learning themselves.

When in doubt, empty the clip.

Never stop learning. If you stop, you might as well curl up and die.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
I long ago realized that if I want a good relationship, I can't expect him to be a mind-reader. And he doesn't expect it either. So if a person I consider a rational good person is doing something I consider wrong or bad or hurtful, I try to figure out where the disconnect is - who's missing what information. By and large, it works pretty well - especially with friends or loved ones who are willing to talk about such things and don't just give you the "you should just know" nonresponse...
Exactly!!!

Also, my mother gave me the advice when I was a teenager that I am responsible for my own happiness or lack thereof. I can't rely on someone else to do it for me. And she has been married to my dad for 39 years, so I definitely trust that bit of advice.

And my dad always said that if I don't have the money for something, I can't have it.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
fighter, huh? is that where you got all that hu-rah?

;-)
Naw, that would be here...

EGAE_1C4.jpg

As for grabbing my axe... well, I'd best just leave that be. :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Um, before getting married, my uncle pulled me aside:
No husband was ever shot or served divorce papers while he was doing the dishes, doing laundry, or sweeping and dusting

So far, so good.