what is the difference (in kidspeak)between homeopathy and naturopathy

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Naturopathic remedies (some of them, anyway) can be scientifically valid. Herbal medicine for example, can be pretty useful. One of the vets I work for regularly prescribes milk thistle for liver support to pets taking NSAIDs, because it works. We also use cold laser therapy and pressure massage on some pets, because they work. Some naturopathic things are probably just a bunch of woo, but others are based on sound principles.

Homeopathy, on the other hand, is literally bottles of nothing.
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/homeo.html

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Homeopathy, on the other hand, is literally bottles of nothing.
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/homeo.html
Homeopathy is literally something you do not comprehend nor does the quackwatch idiot who defies all alternative medicine.

http://www.healthsalon.org/496/homeopathy-in-quantum-physics-per-professor-bruce-lipton-phd/

If I had not chosen homeoapthy my kids would still be on drugs... based in my experience as a pediatric nurse for 15 years.
http://www.healthsalon.org/417/chronic-sinus-and-homeopathy/

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will say this.

I had read articles in popular magazines (note -- generally NOT a good source of health or nutritional info ) that had me pretty skeptical of the whole idea of homeopathy. I remember one "illustration" spoke of boiling a pot of water and letting the shadow of a chicken fall on the water and callingit soup. Yes, they made it sound ridiculous. And I still don't fully comprehend how varying dilutions work as they do.

Fast forward a bit, and I took a job in natural health. I learned herbs -- I had experienced their effectiveness. But I never steered anyone toward homeopathics. If they came ASKING for it and knew what they wanted, fine (though I might offer other suggestions). But my conscience would not let me suggest remedies I personally had no confidence in.

I eventually started seeing the results of a few ladies who worked extensively with homeopathics. I thought perhaps the expectation of the person taking the remedy could be the cause of feeling better -- simply because they expected to. However, I also saw numerous cases of pets and babies showing drastic improvement, as well as small children. Even a couple of cases of husbands who were dosed without being told what the actual desired effect was in the case of ... I should say emotional and personality-related issues.

When I had suffered with severe arthritis for many weeks that NOTHING I tried was making the slightest improvement, and I was really having difficulty walking, I FINALLY asked my boss. Yes, I can be stubborn. ;) She put me on a homeopathic remedy and I was literally about 95% improved within 36 hours. I learned to take it at the first twinge and it has for years totally prevented a relapse

I still can't explain it, beyond a sort of vaccination principle. Giving the body a tiny dose of a symptom-inducing herb, mineral, etc and causing the body to fight the symptom itself. Books written on the subject often get way too into rather strange-sounding ideas that don't suit me.

What I CAN say though, is that I have very often seen it work, in what seems a near-miraculous way. There IS much involved sometimes in selecting just the right remedy (there are probably dozens for "coughs" ... It depends on the cough and the person). And the success has a lot to do with selecting the RIGHT remedy.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My first case of observation was in a woman who had severe acne. One day she came to my house and her face was completely clear. She had endured this for many many years. She told me about homeopathy and the doctor she went to.

My second observation with its effects was in a friend who had gone to Israel when in highschool and he picked up some kind of bug there. It caused intermittant diarrhea and intermittant night sweats. He would sweat so profusley the mattress would be soaked in the morning. This went on for years, cycling in symptoms every 6 to 8 weeks or so.

He went to several doctors and they could not find anything to treat. He tried several medicines as a shot in the dark to no avail.

Finally at the age of about 24 he tried homeopathy. He was fully cured in just a few days. After many years the conditon never returned.

He went to the same doctor the first woman went to.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have yet to see a well-researched, peer-reviewed study of homeopathy. Remember, the plural of anecdote is not "data". ;)
I'd be completely willing to read such an article if anyone has one. Until then, I'll stick with solid science.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am with Occam on this one.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not anti-alternative medicine. I have used herbs that are effective and I can usually tell you what compound is working how based on science and personal experimentation. I have had success with chiropractic and massage therapy as well.

Of course the best success I have had with my health is eliminating processed foods and excess carbohydrates, but that is another story!

Quackwatch does get things wrong, but in the case of homeopathy, I do agree with them.

"If homeopathy works, then obviously the less you use it, the stronger it gets. So the best way to apply homeopathy is to not use it at all." --Phil Plait
http://www.skepdic.com/homeo.html

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess the cures my little kids got from homeoapthy was all an illusion. Oh well. Too bad for them. They must still be sick! I just don't know it... after all the medical doctor said the eldest would be on drugs for a very long time.
guess I've just been foolishly dreaming...

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Go ahead and stick with solid science... they are very good at creating diseases that are fully incurable, and their drugs are superior at rotting your bones, depleting your nutrition, destroying your immune system, and curing nothing. ... not only that the agents of science, the pharmaceutical companies, lie about their studies....

Remember vioxx and the 50,000 it took out.

Remember Avandia and the many thousands that drug took out.

Science has sold it soul to the highest bidder and you are its guinea pigs....

OINK OINK

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My kids haven't really asked the difference, but they did ask me the other day what a nurse was. LOL. I had to explain that most nurses are people who are trained to help doctors and patients in hospitals and doctor's offices.

I consider Homeopathy as symptom treatment, and Naturopathy as symptom prevention.

I know homeopathy works. My husband was hauling wood the other day and fell off the pile (doh!) that was in the back of the truck, and landed on his side. He was very sore, but when we got home, I told him to "put these under your tongue and let them dissolve" (arnica) and don't ask any questions...He looked at me as if I was possessed, then rolled his eyes.

He had very little bruising (he did another dose before bed) and wasn't as sore as he expected the next day.

I wish I could learn more about homeopathy, such as...how they purify the water, since most water we have access to now a days has hormones, drugs, poisons, etc. in them...if herbs work in such small doses, diluted in water...what are these toxins doing to our bodies when we drink them? I use RO or water from a well (aquafir(is that spelled right? I guess I am out of it today)) that we get at my in-loves.

Latest posts