What is the nicest thing someone said to you?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ldychf2k--You have the most wonderful, touching stories and great family! It's neat to think how that might have been the nicest thing ever said to that women, ever! Probably she usually was either ignored or sniffed at. Wonderful!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you, what a nice thing to say. You know, I think my DGD has a really special place in this world. She has been a shining light for all of us. I know God has given her a great gift, and she is more than open to using it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some years ago I was busy peeling potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner at my mother's. 2 of my 3 brothers were there, and their wives. My one SIL was keeping me company, and we were chatting, and she said how nice it was at our house. I said, whatever do you mean, we (brothers and I) are always sniping at each other. She said, yes, but you do it with love. It is perfectly obvious that you all love each other; the sniping is just your way of expressing it. Now, In MY family ... and she went on to tell me of things between her siblings and herself that just blew me away! I couldn't really believe that family could ever treat each other that way. She said that, given the choice, she would much rather spend holidays with us than with her own family. I'm older now, and understand better, but I still think that what she said was the nicest compliment that I/my family has received. And yes, we still snipe at one another, and yes, I still love them all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So many folks say so many nice things to me that it would be really difficult to pick out the nicest.....but I can tell you one that let me know that I am...uh...um...somewhat "unique".

My best friend once told me that, just when she thought she had me figured out and knew just who I was, she saw a different side to me. And then she realized, once again, that she will never be able to categorize just what kind of person that I am! :lol:

Maybe not what one would consider the nicest thing...but it sure was evidence that I am still who I always wanted to be~someone who will not be pigeon-holed! :D

Generally, folks say some pretty nice things to me most of the time. It's hard to say mean things to someone who greets you with a smile and a kind word.

I think this is why it is so easy to go amiss on these forums....no one can see your expression or hear your intent. Most everything I say is said with a smile or a laugh out in the real world...folks know when I'm teasing or returning sour with sweet when face to face.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well- bragging a bit I suppose but......

I have ridden horses for years. Almost all my horses have been commended for their even dispositions and cooperative behavior. This has always irked me a bit even though I love to have my animals admired, it was because more than one of them were certainly not easy to ride. It took tact and good riding to have them confident and cooperative. Most of my riding friends who had constant battles with their horses would tell me how lucky I was. I always bit my tongue and didn't say anything like "your horse would be cooperative if you just stopped yarding on his mouth constantly. " I have had some high powered horses in my day.

Once I was finishing a long trail ride with a group of over 100 over difficult country when some *%$#%%" hit the level ground just outside the campground and took off at a gallop. Of course it sent my 3 yr old, only been ridden a few times mare off to follow. Within a few strides I had her back under control and stopped the rest of the group from following.

My riding companion looked at me and said that she could really see the difference a good rider made. Thank you forever for noticing. Hug Hug Hug.

And thank you for starting this uplifting thread, Free. these things are good to hear and good to remember.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have one that I found hilarious, and left me snickering all day...ok, for days. I have to set the stage....I am NOT fashionable at all, and have no desire to be. When I leave the house, I often have hay in my hair and poop on my boots or sneakers. I often forget to check myself in the mirror, and if I catch a glimpse of my reflection in a shop window, I've been known to do double takes in shock and horror....:rolleyes:

My bestest friend (we use the term "sister" when we discovered years ago that it gets one into an ICU quite easily after midnight for a bedside vigil) is VERY aware of fashion and has finallyl given up trying to reform me. She does most of my clothing shopping, and has come to terms....somewhat....with the fact that the best I will do is a cotton turtleneck and a straight skirt and FLATS. I make beaded jewelry and pearls, so I figure my clothes can be a frame for my jewelry...plain.

One day, I was wearing all black...the above outfit....and a beautiful beaded necklace and earrings. I ran into the library to return some books, and two teenaged girls were hanging out in the foyer. I overheard them sneering at someone....Oh, look, SOME people always have to look perfect, perfect clothes, perfect hair, perfect jewelry...etc, etc, etc.

Then I realized in SHOCK that they were talking about ME!!!!!! Made my day!!!!! I actually laughed out loud as I walked past them! :lol:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
A majority of the kindest things that have been said to me have been here on SS from you all! Such kind words that could make a rock grow wings and soar through the air!

Hmm. Jules, Sally, Laura, Lori, Monique, Delia, Dace, the list goes on and on.

:love

:hugs

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well my dear darling hubby often pays me this little compliment ...

"You know for a fat girl you really don't sweat much."

:ep

:lol: :gig

He is actually VERY loving ... just a comedian!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Here's a funny one my mom got from a student, not once, but on two different occasions. It would have been about 15 years ago when Mom was still dying her hair. She had this one particular dark olive green suit she loved. Twice when she wore it this student said to her, "Oh Mrs. H, I just love it when you wear that suit. It really brings out the green in your hair!" :lol::lol:

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like getting compliments on how well behaved my animals are...

Like freemotion, I'm very proud of how good my current horse is... I bought her and boarded her at the same barn, and was told I bought the 'crazy horse'. The old owner rode her in a bit made from twisted wire (her mouth bled), they lunged her in a circle for 40 minutes before anyone got on her, she ran through an arena fence during a horse show, they drugged her during farrier visits...

Anyway, for two years I did natural horsemanship, built a bond with her, I can hop on no problem now, she stands quietly for anyone (vet or barefoot trimmer), and I can ride her bareback and without a bridle and still have control (I've done a dressage test like that)... everyone's amazed, but really instead of reefing on her sides with spurs and yanking on her mouth I treated her with kindness and respect and got the same in return.

I think my very favourite compliment I've gotten about myself is that I'm 'the kindest, most patient and compassionate person' they know... I LOVE that...

Latest posts