What kind and how many animals do you have?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
5 goats, we will be drawing blood for pregnancy tests on three of them next week.....One lactating doe, Mya. One almost grown doeling, Ginger, who is eating like she is preggers. Two pet pygmies, companions for my late mare...The Princesses Chunk, Te'a and Willow. Te'a has seemed rather fragile in the last year or so, we did not breed her, and we will test her for CAE next week. Willow is a sturdy, hardy brute that I really, really want a doeling from, but gave bucky a run for his money....she didn't come into heat on Sunday so hopefully she is preggers. And finally, Mr. Stinky, the earless little buckling who had his way with the girls and will retire to freezer camp as soon as we can get a little weight on him.

A buncha hens....24, maybe? and 4 roosters, two will go to freezer camp soon and two will go after we raise some chicks in the spring.

One guinea cock...the silly hens were eaten by predators when hidden on nests off our property that I just could not find.

A pair of Bourbon Red turkey freeloaders who have one more season to produce something. Some eggs will go under a broody chicken hen for added insurance in the spring. Imagine her surprise....

Indoors, we have two older rescued kitties who serve no useful purpose other than to decorate my good clothes with fiber art.

We have my first dog, Gunnar, an absolutely wonderful oversized miniature poodle (28 lbs of muscle at his peak, now 30 lbs with a little pudge) and Biscotti, a rescued 1-2 year-old cockerpoo who is an absolute love, and is now finally able to go off-leash on our walks....he must do 10-20 miles to my one with all his zipping and dashing, all at a full flat-out run. I have to put a bell on him, because I can't see him in the snow and I panic. The dogs sleep with me, one on each side. I love it!

Spring plans....piggies for meat and my dad wants to buy some meat chickens, heritage breeds and he has his heart set on Jersey Giants.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We hardly have any animals compared to most of the people on here :)

We have one 14 year old Quarter horse mare, Deja's Dream... we call her Dee. She's my dressage horse.

One pit bull, 4 years old, male... named Marley.

One pit bull/lab mix, 3 years old, female.... named Carrie.

One cantankerous 9 year old cat named Smokey... he rules the house and keeps the pit bulls in line :)

We foster dogs too, so sometimes we have one or two extra pit bulls around.

And we're planning on adding 25 meat chickens and 6 laying hens this spring.... I can't wait! :thumbsup

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mine is very simple.

1 Rottweiler
23 hens and 2 Roos

blackbird, I read all of your animals to my kids. My 6 yo daughter calmly in her best singing voice finished your list with "and a partridge in a pear tree." I thought it was cute. :love

Sufficentforme, a snail? :ep

g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WOW! I don't have anything compared to youin's! :th Next time someone makes fun of me for having "all them animals", I will direct them to this thread.

I had to laugh out loud at the descriptions of the evil cats...they are definitely one of my fave animals for this very reason. No one owns a cat! :cool:

2 dogs (Lab mix, old gal and young guy)
2 cats (mutilated males....er...neutered males, that is)
2 sheeples (ewes)
24? Chickens, one of which is a roo.

Hope to acquire soon:

1 ram sheep and possibly another Betty(ewe), or even some bummer Katahdin lambs.

25 Rainbow Rangers meaties and hope to keep a few for future hatchings of my own meaties.

3 ducks~1 drake, 2 hens

20 mixed chicks hatched via incubator from my own flock's eggs.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tankshill
We do not know how we ended up with it, but its been in the fish tank (it goes in around and out of it but never leaves, honest. :idunno for months now. I suspect a sneaky child had something to do with it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
This is one of the few places where I don't have the most!
18 hens of various breeds
1 rooster, a silkie of mixed colors
7 ducks
3 dogs
2 cats
1 house rabbit

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2 horses
30-50 chickens
3 quail
7 rabbits and 3 litters of kits
8 chicks
2 dogs
2 cats
8 geese
5 ducks

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I Just LOVE that I am not the one with all the animals!! :D YET!

somewhere around 50 chickens ( RIR, BO, BR, EE, Welsummers, Silkies, Bantam cochins, Bantam cochin Frizzles, showgirls,and 2 llittle white one, not sure yet..could be bantam leghorns OR white japanese.)
5 turkeys ( RP tom(Adam) with a RP hen(Eve) who doesnt lay, and a blue slate hen(Shadow)...and a bronze Tom(Sage) with a chocolate hen(Hershey) )
2 ducks, khaki kambells drake and a hen(No names yet, I just call them baby ducks, and they come)
3 "outdoor most of the time" stray cats.(Chubs, Kiki, and Sophie)
3 pomeranians( Jasmines Nightmare "Aladdin", Sir Munch Alot(Muncher) and Princess "Alero" )
4 sheepies( April, Nellie, Mary, and the Ram Sonny Boy)
Come spring, 25 meat chickens, and 2 pigs (FOOD) :lol:
Whew!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
On my little 'micro farm' I have

3 hens
2 sheep
1 dog
1 foster dog

My spring 'want' list includes;

rabbits
goats
quail
bees
worms
more chickens

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
see signature for the full spectrum, but those belonging to me, specifically, are fewer, thank god. however, i do live with the whole shebang as no one's animals on this farm seem to truly understand where their own home is and end up sleeping wherever they feel like it.

belonging to me and no one else and USUALLY sharing my home:

Daisy: lab/boston terrier mix, 13 yrs old, only one eye
Ollie: grey striped cat, 7 yrs old
Fig: orange striped cat, 2 yrs old
Tom Thumb: white kitten, 3 months old (going to a new home soon)

belonging to other family members who live on the farm and at any given time might also be sleeping over:

3 more cats
8 more dogs
1 goat (who likes to sleep on my patio)
2 ponies (who also like to sleep on my patio)
1 large bull (who thinks that my back yard is his own personal playyard and that i plant trees specifically for him to rub against until they fall over- fencing doesn't deter him)

belonging to me and no one else, thankfully do not need/choose to reside in or around my house:

22 chickens
3 horses
1 donkey (he didn't start out as mine, but he fell madly in love with my first horse when he came to live with us. they were forever faithful to each other, providing us with 8 mules over the years. she would never breed with any other horses, no matter how hard we tried to convince her. since she died several years ago, he has decided that he belongs to me- or i him, i'm not sure- and won't let anyone else fool with him. he has taken an immense liking to the chickens since their coop is in his pasture.)