What kind of nuts are these?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
393036678.jpg

393036677.jpg

Any ideas??

I started vacuuming the leaves out of neighbors yard today, and this tree/nuts is on HER neighbors property. Huge tree, prolly 80ft tall with a base of about 3-4ft in diameter. Nuts EVERYWHERE! Never seen them before and am curious if they might be good eating. I can get all I want.....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like hickory nuts to me.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of a leaf fromt he tree? And maybe something as to give us an indication of size of the nut?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Leaves are all down, but I got you some other pictures!

One of the dead leaves and a quarter for size comparison.
393037680.jpg

The tree itself.......
393037687.jpg

393037686.jpg

393037692.jpg

Nuts on the tree.
393037683.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That is a Shellbark Hickory tree and the nuts are edible and sweet like pecans. Good luck cracking them ;) They are one of the toughest nut around to crack! They are worth it though. They are excellent to feed pet birds like Macaws and such that can actually crack them easily, and it trims their beaks as they eat them. Squirrels love them as well. I sell them :D

jjhuntsalot

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It is a hickory nut but not a shellbark we call them pig nuts the nut itself is very small and not worth picking out if you ask me. Now Shagbark hickory nuts are very good eating

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Thanks folks!! Might just have to get me a peck or two see what all the fuss is about. I found a website with "the secret" to cracking these.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
jjhuntsalot said:
It is a hickory nut but not a shellbark we call them pig nuts the nut itself is very small and not worth picking out if you ask me. Now Shagbark hickory nuts are very good eating
Ya know what? You're absolutely right! I didn't look closely enough at the nuts. Some of my Shellbark trees look like that up in the tree, but the nut is definately a pig nut. I have one of those out here too, so I do know the difference, just wasn't paying attention. Sorry SKR8PN!!!

The Shellbark AKA Shagbark hickories have thicker outer husks than the pig nuts. These will be more bitter, but you may still find use for them. They are good for animal feed. I'd grind them up for chickens for both the nut for protein, and the shell for grit and toss them as a healthy treat. They would also be fine to feed to hogs. I would think the hogs could handle them whole.

Again, sorry for the above bad advice on them :( Wish it WAS the Shellbark! They are tasty!

Latest posts