What kind of wood do you burn?

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in hearing what kind of wood you burn, how do you get it, how much if anything does it cost etc etc...

I burn mostly softwood, mainly Japanese cedar and cypress. Basically the same as red cedar. Some years I get lucky and score a lot of hardwood, but not lately.

Cedar is all around here so I get stumps, and log ends from logging operations, usually free or for some drinks,snacks, beer for the workers.

Also neighbors sometimes ask me to thin their woods a bit.

Only paid cash for wood twice in 5 years, both times about 300$ for 5 cords green uncut unsplit oak and cedar mixed.

How bout you? how do you get yours?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Mostly we burn oak and some hickory.

On occasion we have not had to buy wood, due to cutting our own trees that had been damaged or died. However, most of the time we purchase it. We just don't have the time to devote to cutting and splitting (we split manually, as we have no splitter), with all of the other chores, etc. Not to mention the toll on us physically.

I really don't know the exact dimensions involved, but wood is sold locally by something called a "rick". I have learned though, that this seems to be a very subjective term.:rolleyes:

A "rick" of seasoned oak costs us about $50 for it to be delivered and stacked. It takes us approximately five ricks for a winter, or about $250.

Mark

-edited to remove a couple of typing goofs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We burn mostly maple...however, this year we SCORED! With the recent storm..several of our friends had trees come down, and we were lucky enough to get a black walnut. This tree was HUGE! I know...everyone told us..." you can make money on the board price" But we really needed the firewood for winter. We go through about 13 ricks a season. The black walnut gave us about 3 or 4 ricks of firewood. We also have Elm...this burns great as well! We cut our own, and split by hand. We was lucky enough to have a friend loan us a splitter this year. I have to get one of those!! We split 7 ricks in 2 days!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow
Hi Welcome to SS. As far as what kind of wood, we burn mostly hardwoods. We get a cutting permit from the DNR to cut on trees already down on state property. That costs $20, plus the gas to go cut it and haul it home. I dont know what a rick is but we have cords here. Pulp cord and face cord. I am not sure of the size of a pulp cord but I know it is just about a logging tuck full. A face cord is 4' high by 8' long by 24" a pc. I have heard that a face cord is going from $55 to $70.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi. We burn hard woods. We try to get oak, maple, popple, cherry and some times we land up with some birch. We do not have a wood lot so we have to purchase our wood. We buy it by the full cord (4' x 4' x 8')and we usually use 3 cord a winter (plus some oil heat as well). We buy our wood way ahead (1-2 years ahead) This year we paid $175 a cord, cut, split and delivered for 3 cord. We also bought 3 cord that was only cut and split for $150 a cord. We had to pick that up ourselves. We purchased the wood in August. The current price of hard wood up here is now $250 - $325 a cord!

Edited for chubby finger typos!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Oak, hickory, locust (burns forever!!), cherry, anything we can get, except Pine!

And we we have been gathering it up ourselves so we don't pay for it LOL

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We burn mostly hardwood, mainly oak. Of our 22 acres all but about 6 are wooded. Each year, storms take down a few trees and we just go cut them up. We've never actually had to cut down any of the trees to get our firewood. Sure beats paying for propane to heat the house with!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I don't burn wood as my main heating supply. Anymore that is. When we first bought our property they old home had a wood burning fire place insert and thats it. Thanks goodness we did not need it very much, but we split Avocado, by hand. It burns great. After clearing the dead orchard to build a new house we ended up with a pile of avocado the size of three to four mini vans. So thats what I have. When we have a fire we are still burning the Avocado.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$175 a cord, cut, split and delivered for 3 cord. We also bought 3 cord that was only cut and split for $150 a cord. We had to pick that up ourselves. We purchased the wood in August. The current price of hard wood up here is now $250 - $325 a cord!

*********WOW--WOW
Chicklit
that is a huge increase...whew
I guess you will be laying in big supplies again asap! that is a rough jump!

your price increase caught me surprised!
:ep