What kind of wood do you burn?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We burn mostly maple. It is cut/split but we have to pick up. We pay $75 for 1/3 cord so I guess it would be $225 for a US cord:>)

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We burn whatever fell down or was cut down the year before! We burned coal the last two years with a little wood but now we don't have a coal supplier so Sat and Sunday we will be cutting up old trees that fell last winter. Lots of them are cherry or hickory.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for all the great replies everyone,

(not) Very surprised to see how expensive wood has become.

Here's a pic of my latest score. 14 loads in my mini-mini-van = about 5-6 cords of cedar and cypress with a little zelkova tree in there for good luck.

So far it cost, 6 coffees, 2 packs of smokes, and one bottle of sake (rice wine) for the logging crew, for me too clean up there logging operation. Oh plus 80$ in chainsaw maintainence. Not bad for a year plus of wood.

It's 5X6X50 foot long.

Anyone else got a funky woodshed?

wood082.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wow, johnelarue! That is one funky and large wood shed!!! I just have a small, ramshackle old garage full...and not even as full as I would like!

Wood envy rising up.......must not covet, must not covet.... :fl

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed, you're a riot :lol:
Any wood I can get my grubby little paws on.
Wood envy ...Must not covet, Must not covet :lol:

You all aren't going to like my response. I trim/remove trees for a living. People PAY me to take away their wood. I burn different types of wood at different times of the season. In the fall I burn the maples, birch, walnuts, and elm. As it gets colder I get into the hotter, more dense woods, ash, hickory, oak, and locust. At any given time I'll have 15-20 cord laying around. Right now I have 7 split and stacked with a sheet of rubber covering it. Here in south-central Pa. wood is going for $175 - $200 a cord. I know of a nursery that is asking $250 + delivery.

Beekissed No need to covet. Come n get it !!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
Beekissed, you're a riot :lol:
Any wood I can get my grubby little paws on.
Wood envy ...Must not covet, Must not covet :lol:

You all aren't going to like my response. I trim/remove trees for a living. People PAY me to take away their wood. I burn different types of wood at different times of the season. In the fall I burn the maples, birch, walnuts, and elm. As it gets colder I get into the hotter, more dense woods, ash, hickory, oak, and locust. At any given time I'll have 15-20 cord laying around. Right now I have 7 split and stacked with a sheet of rubber covering it. Here in south-central Pa. wood is going for $175 - $200 a cord. I know of a nursery that is asking $250 + delivery.

Beekissed No need to covet. Come n get it !!
All the way to the PA with my little rickety utility trailer? yeah..... :smack Rub it all in nice and good, UncleJoe!!! :barnie :lol:

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We burn ash, oak, poplar and birch. It is my first year burning wood down here in the lower 48 so I'm learning a lot. We have to cut wood ourselves and we live near a heavily wooded area so it's all free for the taking. We only use dead wood.

BeeKissed, sorry you have to struggle so much. Maybe Montana isn't looking so bad right now since you could probably cut wood for free there too. One thing about living where it's less populated is that you don't have so many nasty neighbors and regulations to contend with. Come up here, the weather is nice and cool this time of year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
shareneh said:
We burn ash, oak, poplar and birch. It is my first year burning wood down here in the lower 48 so I'm learning a lot. We have to cut wood ourselves and we live near a heavily wooded area so it's all free for the taking. We only use dead wood.

BeeKissed, sorry you have to struggle so much. Maybe Montana isn't looking so bad right now since you could probably cut wood for free there too. One thing about living where it's less populated is that you don't have so many nasty neighbors and regulations to contend with. Come up here, the weather is nice and cool this time of year.
I'm just funnin' with you all about the wood.....the good Lord provides, you know? Its inconvenient, for a hilljack holler jumper to have to pay for firewood, but its where I am right now and this too will pass! :D