What kitchen item could you not live without?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have to go with good knives. A paring knife, a large knife and a serrated bread knife.
A good wooden spoon.
A good size stainless steel mixing bowl or two.
After that, things can go on the barbeque or a cooking stone or large leaf or what ever. I can make do with what's on hand.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
A very large frying pan is a must, a good measuring cup with all the smaller measurements on the side, as well as 2 quart measuring/mixing bowl, and good large STRONG mixing spoons, some of those plastic ones are so flimsy.

Those are the things I use the most, but I don't cook everyday.

jfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
my knives and my pampered chef stones...:love

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If we're not including major appliances, I'd have to say my Kitchenaid mixer and food processor, cutting board, iron griddle and skillets, cookie sheets, -- well, I just can't narrow it down. I've always liked kitchen stuff.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I could live without all of it if I had too...but knowing that should never happen....honestly I like all my kitchen stuff.

pots and pans would be most important I guess.

"must" have to live...nothing truly but I sure still want my stuff..>LOL

I don't have favorite kitchen stuff at all....just the basics and they work fine and I like them.

There isn't a thing I couldn't do without and not a thing I am willing to give up..HA HA

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It would be a toss-up between my Calphalon pans and my food processor. I have a whole set of the Calphalon and I use the big stock pot and the big dutch oven almost daily. LOVE those pans! On the other hand the food processor is SO helpful with my canning and cooking....oh, and then there's my pressure canner too! Okay, I could live without my food processor if I HAD to but the pans and my canner are my life.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
1. Chef's knife!!!! -- I had to cook in my mom's kitchen and she doesn't have one, it was a huge pain. She doesn't have one because she's afraid she's going to hurt herself on it. :/

2. A good restaurant quality skillet. No, we have not yet switched over to cast iron, but I keep thinking I should.

3. Large cutting board.

I can live with only all of the above, however:

4. Food processors are very handy to have around.

The list could go on, but those are the highest on the priority list here.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
My big butcher knives, a cutting board, my Pyrex glass measuring cups/bowls. I use them constantly.