What line of work are you in?

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
USAF Desert Storm Vet, stay at home mom to many animals and the farm, occassional babysitter and hog vaccinator.

DH is a OTR truck driver
pioneergirl...
My DH is also a Desert STorm Vet, but Marines. He's considering obtaining his CDL to become a OTR driver, but is hesitant because of the time away from the kids and I. He has a HUGE student loan debt and we could definitely use the income he could make OTR to get out of debt. Any words of wisdom as a wife to an OTR driver???

TIA!

Georgiagirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I work as the supervising admissions clerk for the emergency department at our local hospital. Then I go home and work there of course as the cook, maid, pet caregiver, gardner, and chicken herder!

Betsy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Have you ever read a book called Look Me in the Eyes? That was the one that gave me hope that my oldest may someday learn to adapt and cope in a social arena.
No, I have never heard of it. I'll have to see if our local library has it. There is tons of hope that your son will function in society :) Have you ever tried diet, supplements etc? Trying to eat as little sugar and gluten, plus taking supplements has me quite a bit. Also...my parents pushing and pushing me in loving ways to adapt. Best wishes for your son!

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm a registered nurse at a local hospital here in southern IN. I am also a member of the KHNA (holistic nurse association). At home, I spend my time keeping up with a garden, friut tree orchard, three cats, two very pampered dogs, one wonderful hubby, and 22 acres of some of the most beautiful land God created (makes for a pretty full schedule).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Betsy said:
Beekissed said:
Have you ever read a book called Look Me in the Eyes? That was the one that gave me hope that my oldest may someday learn to adapt and cope in a social arena.
No, I have never heard of it. I'll have to see if our local library has it. There is tons of hope that your son will function in society :) Have you ever tried diet, supplements etc? Trying to eat as little sugar and gluten, plus taking supplements has me quite a bit. Also...my parents pushing and pushing me in loving ways to adapt. Best wishes for your son!
Well, first I have to get him to admit he has a problem! He's 22 yrs. old. We've always known there was some kind of glitch in his head, somewhere, as he is extremely repetitive and single-minded. Smart, sweet, hard-worker who has been fired from several jobs already, picked on in school since first grade, picked on at work, etc. You know the signs and symptoms. Nervous tics when young, some OCD, a little of this and a little of that. Very unable to read people and their reactions in a social situation. I have tried to get him to read up on this, but, as is the nature of an Asperger's, he has little, to no, self-analysis ability and its everyone else who has a problem. Sweet boy but he will always have problems functioning in this world unless he can study up on what has worked for other people in the past.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
um oh my God you guys are describing me :eek:

Do they think that Aspergers is hereditary?

Anywho I am a SAHM with four kiddo's and I am an Art Major in college after doing absolutely no art in the last 15 years.

Ugly Cowboy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I've got AS (heard I was all my life, but never really knew what it meant til a month ago,) and I just recently learned to talk to folks (look 'em in the eyes at all, and not lookin like I'm tryin to stare 'em down LOL) and I still caint quite tell when folks is gettin mad at me until there in my face yellin at me, but I'm gettin better. I still have trouble with a lot of stuff, but I try to make myself go in public places alone now(I used to would've had my best buddy or my Uncle go in with me so they could do the talkin and I could hide behind 'em with my tail tucked between my legs like a whipped pup) and its gettin a tiny bit easier now, but I actually puked when I first went alone. Still have a hard time tellin when somethin's a joke or not, when I was a kid, I'd always ask 'em if they was jokin or not, sometimes they'd actually be honest enuff to tell me even!;)
But the doc said I was lucky cuz I at least have a sense of humor, he says that some dont.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
and I just recently learned to talk to folks (look 'em in the eyes at all, and not lookin like I'm tryin to stare 'em down LOL) and I still caint quite tell when folks is gettin mad at me until there in my face yellin at me, but I'm gettin better.
wow. just wow. I can't even begin to wrap my brain around all of this. I almost never look people in the eyes. I hate to. Hate it. Not b/c I'm being disrespectful either. I just don't ever do it. I don't know when someone is mad at me either until they are visibly and obviously pi$$ed.