what meat animals can be able to raised on little land??

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Geese, ducks, goats, but I'm sticking to chickens rabbits and quail as my major sources:>)
How are quail for eating morelcabin? smaller than chickens I assume...
do you pen them or do they just run around? wouldn't they fly away?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Mackay said:
MorelCabin said:
Geese, ducks, goats, but I'm sticking to chickens rabbits and quail as my major sources:>)
How are quail for eating morelcabin? smaller than chickens I assume...
do you pen them or do they just run around? wouldn't they fly away?
A lot of people consider quail eggs a delicacy. I've heard of pickled quail eggs, not sure how else they are cooked.

And yes, quail are smaller than chickens (some breeds) but the meat is still good on them. Just one quail per person for a meal. LOL

Yes, you would have to keep them penned.

fancie217

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
so feed vs. meat ratio would quail or cornish be a better option?

cornish would be bought as chicks (I don't want to own that big of adult chicken, while quail I could breed and not need to buy new stock.

What breed of quail? and at what age can they be butchered. Also they eat the same feed as chickens right?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
First let me :welcome you to SS since I don't think I have already done so.

I was told by several posters on BYC (back before SS existed) that quail were difficult to raise so I chose to go with cornish bantums.
Like you I did not want the big cornish birds.

I am curious now as to the actual difficulty in raising quail.

:caf waiting and watching for the responses. I would love to add quail to my food list.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, from a novice's viewpoint, quail seem to be easy to raise--so far. They eat gamebird feed-protein must be higher than 20%. There is game bird layer crumbles too. I am not feeding that right now.

Housing for quail--for me was easy. I used old laying hen cages, and made some alterations.

My first batch of eggs are in the incubator (another expense for raising quail, as they do not sit on their own eggs), so once they hatch, I can report back on whether or not they are still easy to raise.

They are mature (ready to butcher or mate) at 6 weeks of age. Dressed weight of quail is about 4-6 oz, if you are raising coturnix quail. jumbo's are larger--maybe up to a lb, but I can't seem to find any jumbo's. coturnix are easy to find.

My eight birds eat less than a cup of gamebird feed per day. they will lay eggs march through september, unless you give them artificial lighting. Cold does not affect laying. they are cute, make a nice cooing sound, and the males have a very pretty crow. so far I am enjoying raising quail.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I had quail last fall...but my set up wasn't big enough for them and they tried to cannabalize each other, so I'm waiting to get quail until I have a better set up for them.

I don't think they are that hard to raise as a lot of people seem to have them?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I had quail last fall...but my set up wasn't big enough for them and they tried to cannabalize each other, so I'm waiting to get quail until I have a better set up for them.

I don't think they are that hard to raise as a lot of people seem to have them?
Yeah, I haven't heard that they are difficult to raise, snd so far, they are nothing but enjoyable.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Like any project....we have great resources at our typing fingertips...just google quail and their needs.

It will surely hit the mark and tell us what is required and how hard they are to raise etc. etc.

I do this with everything I need to know..animals and all info needed. There is a wealth of topics on the internet....thank goodness cause I need to learn tons..LOL

But that is reading material, it is so good to hear the true experiences of each person raising animals and learn the tricks to do it easy and affordable!!!!