what meat animals can be able to raised on little land??

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Amos said:
Aside from those listed, also pheasant and guinea, although guineas are terribly loud. How much land is a 'little' land?
Guineas actually use quite a bit of land, they are better when free ranged and will go far. about a mile down the road our neighbor has guineas and they will make it sometimes a half mile from here.

Also for Pheasans, I wouldn't consider meat birds, unless you get the mongolian, which take about 6 months to grow out.

:)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Since you don't say how "little" land you have, or where you are living, it is hard to say. Where you live is going to determine your livestock capabilities.

This past February, the city council of Cleveland, OH voted that city residents are allowed to have up to 2 bee hives and 3 hens. So don't forget to check with your regional zoning to make sure you are rated for agricultural animals on your property.

If you have a lot of 100 x 50 ft you could have a hive or two of bees, a small flock of chickens or ducks, and rabbits. A pig, goat or sheep could also be possibilities. With the exception of the bees, my sil had ducks and rabbits in her London backyard. The ducks would need some water, but a small garden pond or a kiddie's wading pool would work.

If you're talking somewhere along the lines of half an acre, bees, ducks, chickens, rabbits, maybe a couple goat, sheep, or pigs.

edited for typo

fancie217

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have 1/4 acer total. half is front yard half is back. plus much may be taken up by gardening. I already have chickens and ducks and am looking at quail. Wasn't sure what else I could get away with.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well, although there are tiny, weenie goaties, you would have to make sure all that they could possibly eat are no-toxic. I have 2 1/2 acres and sadley removed my non-wild rhodie's because I would fret so about the goats or horses getting into them.
Rabbit would probably do for you. Maybe guinea pigs although I have never know anyone who actuall ate them but the peruvians certainly do.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
fancie217 said:
I have 1/4 acer total. half is front yard half is back. plus much may be taken up by gardening. I already have chickens and ducks and am looking at quail. Wasn't sure what else I could get away with.
Check with your local zoning laws first. If a neighbor has so much as one fly in their kitchen, it will be blamed on you, even if they leave their garbage outside rotting! Then the animals will have to go, and quickly. I would definitely be sure of the zoning first.

If it is not in your favor, you can hide a few rabbits in hutches, and even graze them with moveable shelters in the good weather. Kinda like small chicken tractors with wire bottoms to keep the rabbits from digging out. Just make them dog-proof. Rabbits are pretty quiet unless they are breeding.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
ticks said:
Amos said:
Aside from those listed, also pheasant and guinea, although guineas are terribly loud. How much land is a 'little' land?
Guineas actually use quite a bit of land, they are better when free ranged and will go far. about a mile down the road our neighbor has guineas and they will make it sometimes a half mile from here.

Also for Pheasans, I wouldn't consider meat birds, unless you get the mongolian, which take about 6 months to grow out.

We have successfully raised many guineas in runs; but I know what you mean, when we first got guineas be had several that just never came back.. and then people liked running them over on the road, but they can do fine enclosed.
I'm not sure what you mean for pheasants not being considered for meat.. what is pheasant hunting all about? My brother has had the whites and jumbos for several years before.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Amos said:
ticks said:
Amos said:

We have successfully raised many guineas in runs; but I know what you mean, when we first got guineas be had several that just never came back.. and then people liked running them over on the road, but they can do fine enclosed.
I'm not sure what you mean for pheasants not being considered for meat.. what is pheasant hunting all about? My brother has had the whites and jumbos for several years before.
When I say not a meat bird. They are not a traditional meat bird. Pheasant hunting is getting a wild bird whose feed you don't have to buy, and it is a sport. I'm just saying that it would be more time and cost effective to buy Cornish.
1.) The grow out quickly.
2.) Less space needed.
3.) 2-3 times more meat (depending on size of the birds).

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You may want to look at Storey's book - The Backyard Homestead.

According to the book, you can get the following harvest from 1/4 acre land.... (depending on your zoning, of course)

1400 eggs
50 pounds wheat
60 pounds fruit
75 pounds nuts
2000 pounds vegetables
280 pounds pork

ETA: I missed the 100 pounds of honey on the list

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
keljonma said:

According to the book, you can get the following harvest from 1/4 acre land.... (depending on your zoning, of course)

1400 eggs
50 pounds wheat
60 pounds fruit
75 pounds nuts
2000 pounds vegetables
280 pounds pork
WOW! Am I an underachiever or what???? I have nearly 2 acres and it is not even worth trying to measure my tiny little harvest!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
keljonma said:

1400 eggs
50 pounds wheat
60 pounds fruit
75 pounds nuts
2000 pounds vegetables
280 pounds pork

ETA: I missed the 100 pounds of honey on the list
I saw this book today, and I must have it!!!!!!!

Somehow, I had missed this entire thread when it was originally posted, but after being at TSC today, and my Aunt whom was with us purchased this book, I'm on a serious hunt to acquire a copy!! As cheaply as possible, that is LOL

My Dear Aunt allowed me to browse through this book, before she had even cracked it open...just reading the back cover and seeing how they laid out their 1/10th acre, 1/4, and 1/2 acres, I'm hooked!!!!!! I could have gobbled that book up on the spot, and all the knowledge it contains!! I'm going nuts trying to get my hands on it....SOON!! TSC had one copy left, but I'm trying to find a used copy before I go plunking $20 down for a new book....but in this case, I certainly think it may very well be worth it!!

I came home, looked at my 7 acres, and all I could think about is how much space I'm wasting that could be used for growing food!!!

Must have this book!! :barnie

Ok, I need to go start a thread on just this book!!!!!!!! :hide