What pills have you quit taking, looking for alternatives?

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
Points
48
Location
Southeast Texas
Marianne said:
heatherlynnky said:
txcanoegirl said:
For those of you with severe carpal tunnel syndrome...don't discount surgery.

I had it so severe in both hands, that for every two hours of sleep, I'd have an hour or two sleepless, pacing the house until the pain subsided. Daytime symptoms were bad, too. It affected my work, sleep, everyday activities, and play. I had the surgery on one hand, then the other 6 weeks later. I have now been pain-free, symptom-free for 7 years.

It's definitely possible that some of you may still be at a stage where you can manage the symptoms, such as using braces at night, strategic placement of pillows, extra B-complex vitamins, healthy diet, exercise, pain meds, limiting the things that make it worse, etc., but if it is changing the quality of your life, it may be time for more drastic measures. I'm certainly glad I did.

Jill
You can also try a DO Doctor of osteopathy. I went to one and have no issues anymore. It took about 6 visits and I was good to go. Mine was so bad I could not write anymore.
I don't know if I'd be a good candidate for surgery anymore. I have had this for at least 10 years. Also don't have any health insurance :/ .
Jill, what was the treatment from the DO?

I went off Premarin probably 8 years ago or so. Dr wouldn't prescribe it unless I had a pap EVERY year (I had a hysterecomy 20 years before that) AND a mammogram EVERY year (no breast cancer history in family). I have an issue w/ radiation in my boobies. If there was any history of breast cancer, it'd be a different deal, ya know? And his exam? He was in the room with me for less than 2 minutes.
Sorry, I digress. Massive hot flashes, agh. What helped me the most was really cutting back on coffee or anything with caffeine, and a little fan on my night stand.

I had good luck with premarin. But I had a close friend that died from cancer, she begged me to get off of it. Her sis was a pharmacist and she wouldn't take it. I asked two other pharmacists, one said that's some nasty stuff. My doc said that the benefits outweighed the risks. Maybe so, but I'd rather try some more natural stuff.
I don't think the length of time you've had carpal tunnel affects your candidacy for surgery, but it may affect which procedure is best for you. I was unable to have the less invasive procedure and had the full blown regular surgery. Still just an outpatient day surgery and had no side effects other than being "hobbled" for a while! My father suffered (and I mean suffered) for many, many years before they even developed a surgical procedure for it. He worked hard all his life, and had to work through the pain. I remember his sleepless nights, too. His surgery was in the late 70's. Very successful. I had it for years, too, but wouldn't take the time off from work to do the surgery. I tried everything. Some things worked a little, some things worked a lot, some things worked a little while. I'm not the one who posted about using a D.O. for carpal tunnel, but I've used one and had good success for other things with an osteopath (D.O.) and also from a chiropractor, but we didn't get any results on the carpal tunnel. I tried various types of massage therapy (not the feel-good type, but the intensive kind...forget now what techniques were used), which had incredible results for everything BUT the carpal tunnel. Also tried acupuncture, which worked for other things, but not the Carpal Tunnel. I guess you just know when your options are up. I had some of the same issues with Morton's Neuroma on my foot. Tried EVERYTHING and finally said I'm done with the less invasive options, let's FIX the problem. Very successful. Very happy. Was able to get back to my active life. That's the bottom line.

I am all for alternative therapies and natural healing, but you have to find what works for YOU. You're the only one that decides when you can or can't manage it any more on your own.

Regarding menopausal symptoms...I sailed right through menopause with nary a blip. If I had hot flashes, they were so minor I think I thought at the time I was just a little warm. I have never taken any hormone replacement medications. However, when I was younger, I started experiencing some PMS. I began taking Evening Primrose Oil on a daily basis (not just during the PMS time) and it worked wonders. I don't recall now why I started taking that particular supplement, whether it was something I read or if it was recommended. I think that now some people don't believe it is effective for PMS, but I took it for perhaps 2 or 3 years and my symptoms completely disappeared. The PMS did not return after I discontinued taking it. I think they were 500 mg capsules. Although I've been finished with menopause for about 6-7 years, I still get some hormone activity. Every now and then I "feel" a little PMS coming on (my PMS has always been manifested by being weepy over nothing for about 3 days and the inability to deal with certain stresses that normally wouldn't phase me), I can take the Evening Primrose Oil for a day or two, which seems to help, although the phase would probably pass by then, anyway. At this point, the help the Evening Primrose Oil provides is probably psychological--for me, at least. I know it helped me back when.
 

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
3,269
Reaction score
354
Points
287
Location
rural Abilene, KS, 67410 USA
tortoise said:
I'm starting cognitive behavioral therapy soon in attempt to reduce my need for anti-anxiety medication. I've been doing good. I used to take 10 pills a day for mental health issues and to counteract the side effects of the meds, costing $900 - $1,000 per month. I'm down to 2 cheap as-needed prescriptions that cost less than $5/month. I definitely NEEDED the medication when I was on it. I'm thankful that I've been doing well without it for a YEAR! (Wow, that feels good to say! :) )

For alternatives, learning what I can and cannot tolerate was huge. Exercise, schedule, and support from friends was a big part of it too. I'm certainly not cured and I'm aware symptoms can return. But for now, I'm doing fine by knowing my limits and staying within them.
Good for you! Any time we can overcome some of life's challenges, we need a pat on the back. :thumbsup

My daughter and I believe that daily meditation helps in all aspects of life. I used to meditate regularly and I was a lot calmer. I need to get back into that routine.
Our daughter got her yoga training at a Buddhist temple a couple years ago. She lived as the monks did while she was there. Now she is a strong believer in the healing powers of meditation.
I have a friend that says meditation is 'to get quiet and listen to God'.
 

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
2,741
Reaction score
14
Points
188
txcanoegirl said:
For those of you with severe carpal tunnel syndrome...don't discount surgery.

I had it so severe in both hands, that for every two hours of sleep, I'd have an hour or two sleepless, pacing the house until the pain subsided. Daytime symptoms were bad, too. It affected my work, sleep, everyday activities, and play. I had the surgery on one hand, then the other 6 weeks later. I have now been pain-free, symptom-free for 7 years.

It's definitely possible that some of you may still be at a stage where you can manage the symptoms, such as using braces at night, strategic placement of pillows, extra B-complex vitamins, healthy diet, exercise, pain meds, limiting the things that make it worse, etc., but if it is changing the quality of your life, it may be time for more drastic measures. I'm certainly glad I did.

Jill
On the carpal tunnel thing, I was told both by my doctor and the doctor to whom I was referred at the Physio clinic that I'm not a candidate for surgery--yet. And since undergoing all the physio and learning coping techniques like exercises, I'm usually just fine unless I've been going hard at the computer work like I have been for the past couple of months--it takes that kind of abuse to rev it up again.

Marianne said:
I had good luck with premarin. But I had a close friend that died from cancer, she begged me to get off of it. Her sis was a pharmacist and she wouldn't take it. I asked two other pharmacists, one said that's some nasty stuff. My doc said that the benefits outweighed the risks. Maybe so, but I'd rather try some more natural stuff.
Funny that you bring up Premarin, I had difficulty producing enough milk for my oldest daughter when she was born 17 years ago and tried everything to up production. Finally my doctor prescribed Premarin because it somehow increased milk flow (counter to the advice I see online now) but I never filled the script because the list of side-affects scared the crap out of me. I ended up nursing my daughter at every feed until I ran out of milk, with a bottle warming beside me, then giving her a formula bottle. For 5 months till I gave it up as a lost cause. Go figure I had plenty of milk for my second daughter :rolleyes:

Marianne said:
Okay, I bought ground tumeric a few months ago. I can't figure out what to do with it. I also saw that Azure Standard had tumeric root.
Suggestions on what it can go in?
I put a heaping tablespoon into anything tomato-sauce based (pasta, chili, stew etc.) plus throw a teaspoon into potato salad, meat marinades/sauces, and of course it goes in lots of Indian food. I have a couple of yellow stained wooden spoons as a result, but the flavour of turmeric is mild and doesn't really change the taste of these foods--just the colour (other than the tomato sauce recipes).
 

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
2,525
Reaction score
2
Points
155
moolie said:
Marianne said:
Okay, I bought ground tumeric a few months ago. I can't figure out what to do with it. I also saw that Azure Standard had tumeric root.
Suggestions on what it can go in?
I put a heaping tablespoon into anything tomato-sauce based (pasta, chili, stew etc.) plus throw a teaspoon into potato salad, meat marinades/sauces, and of course it goes in lots of Indian food. I have a couple of yellow stained wooden spoons as a result, but the flavour of turmeric is mild and doesn't really change the taste of these foods--just the colour (other than the tomato sauce recipes).
I use turmeric in Indian food, which I cook fairly often, but never thought about sneaking it into sauces, etc. Thanks for the idea. When I remember I add a spoonful to steamed broccoli or Brussel sprouts; it seems to enhance the green color. Marianne, if you aren't used to using it you might want to start with smaller amounts. As moolie says, it is fairly mild, but it does have a bitter note. If you can find fresh root (rhizome) you could pot it up, and keep it as a houseplant. It makes a rather handsome specimen.

Luckily I only need to take one prescription pill, though I'd love to get off of it. I have a scalp issue which causes my hair to fall out, and this pill seems to have slowed that down somewhat. I am vain enough that I don't want to experiment, and lose more hair. Oddly, what I am taking is actually meant as an anti-malaria medication! But it seems to be working with the skin issue. I do try other herby things that are said to help hair growth and health, though the turmeric for hair was a new one to me. But I won't be stopping the pill till the dermatologist says that there are signs of regrowth.

I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago, though I had them leave one ovary so as not to go through menopause suddenly. So I had no obvious indication when menopause finally started. I had no major problems, or even many minor ones. It took me the longest time to even realize that the hot flushes that I was getting every once in awhile were more than my unfortunate tendency to blush at inopportune moments :lol:

I do keep lavender essential oil on hand for when I get one of my infrequent headaches. I find that rubbing some into a minor kitchen burn is also helpful at reducing the pain.
 

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Joined
Nov 23, 2011
Messages
3,644
Reaction score
348
Points
267
Location
Fallston, MD
ORChick said:
I do keep lavender essential oil on hand for when I get one of my infrequent headaches. I find that rubbing some into a minor kitchen burn is also helpful at reducing the pain.
As long as you're sure of the source, it makes a fine burn remedy. I use it for sunburns (also Myrrh and German Chamomile Oil as well). However, if the lavender oil isn't pure, it can worsen a burn. Make sure that you know its pure essential oil and not essential oil in a carrier. In the US to be sold as an "essential oil" it only needs to be 5% of the oil listed on the label, the other 95% can be carriers or synthetics.

Marianne said:
I had good luck with premarin. But I had a close friend that died from cancer, she begged me to get off of it. Her sis was a pharmacist and she wouldn't take it. I asked two other pharmacists, one said that's some nasty stuff. My doc said that the benefits outweighed the risks. Maybe so, but I'd rather try some more natural stuff.
I'm glad you didn't take it! It isn't as much anymore as they are now producing more synthetics, but it used to be that the way they made premarin was from the urine of pregnant horses. It was a very dark industry that only came to light via animal rights groups in the last 15 +/- years. There are very few premarin farms left now, thankfully, because the babies are a by-product of the drug industry. They were literally killing off the babies because they had no use for them, and the mares were often draft horse mares bred with who knows what breed stallion. They liked the big mares because they produced more urine.
It was a sad, sad thing, and I am glad that it is pretty much non-existent anymore. I don't care to trust anyone that cares that little about an animal's welfare for the sake of human medicine.
 

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
Points
48
Location
Southeast Texas
RE: Turmeric...

I've been reading a lot of information lately that promotes the use of turmeric for memory and prevention of Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias. Since I cared for my father who had Alzheimer's, I'm all for any help I can get! I started adding a shake of it to many of the things I cook, not just ethnic dishes. I honestly don't notice any bitter or unusual flavors. I also add some to the tea blends I make up. It leaves a little sediment in the bottom of the cup, but I don't care. I buy it in bulk from an organic spice shop online. I also use it when I make bread & butter squash pickles (the only kind I like). I don't think I ever used turmeric for anything other than that before I read about the health benefits. I didn't know I could buy the root until recently, and I will certainly try to find some and try to grow it. Now that I know I can buy the root, I can grate it for tea use instead of using the powdered form.

According to my Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, key actions are: Simulates secretion of bile, anti-inflammatory, eases stomach pain, antioxidant, antibacterial. It is also thought to be useful for lowering cholesterol; cancer preventative; acts as an anticoagulent, keeping the blood thin; antibacterial when applied to the skin and exposed to sunlight; is a powerful anti-inflammatory, with a stronger action than hydrocortisone; alleviates nausea, useful for arthritis (doesn't relieve pain, but works on the inflammation); also due to the anti-inflammatory, blood-thinning, and cholesterol lowering properties, it is used to reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. When applied to the skin, it is useful for treating psoriasis and fungal infections.
 

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
Points
48
Location
Southeast Texas
hqueen13 said:
Hmmm... need to start adding that to recipes!
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/creamy-turmeric-tea/#axzz2QBaoLC4H
I've tried that recipe for Turmeric Tea before, and I really liked it. I actually made mine in raw milk, which I prefer over coconut milk or almond milk, but any way is fine.
Yum yum!
That recipe sounds delicious! I'm going to try it right now!

My favorite tea of the moment is about 1 TBS each of blackberry (or dewberry) leaves, dried minced ginger, and mint. All of these are homegrown and organic. I put it all loose in a quart mason jar, fill about 3/4 full with water, shake in some turmeric, then microwave until almost boiling. I let it sit for quite a while to get a good infusion. I strain it out, add honey or sugar. I top off the mason jar with more water and drink the brew either hot or cold. If I want a caffeine drink, I add a bag of black tea. I store the leftover tea in the refrigerator to drink cold. I can't wait to try the turmeric root instead of powder. You can change up all of the proportions to your own tastes.
 

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
797
Reaction score
9
Points
107
Location
SE Missouri
I took the boring way out and just bought turmeric capsules. But I have the powder, too. I've been meaning to make that tea.
 

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
3,806
Reaction score
4
Points
163
Location
central WI
txcanoegirl said:
hqueen13 said:
Hmmm... need to start adding that to recipes!
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/creamy-turmeric-tea/#axzz2QBaoLC4H
I've tried that recipe for Turmeric Tea before, and I really liked it. I actually made mine in raw milk, which I prefer over coconut milk or almond milk, but any way is fine.
Yum yum!
That recipe sounds delicious! I'm going to try it right now!

My favorite tea of the moment is about 1 TBS each of blackberry (or dewberry) leaves, dried minced ginger, and mint. All of these are homegrown and organic. I put it all loose in a quart mason jar, fill about 3/4 full with water, shake in some turmeric, then microwave until almost boiling. I let it sit for quite a while to get a good infusion. I strain it out, add honey or sugar. I top off the mason jar with more water and drink the brew either hot or cold. If I want a caffeine drink, I add a bag of black tea. I store the leftover tea in the refrigerator to drink cold. I can't wait to try the turmeric root instead of powder. You can change up all of the proportions to your own tastes.
Awesome! I need to try this! I have my own choc. mint and might try some elderberries (dried) and an 8-herb tea blend I bought.
 

Latest posts

Top