What pills have you quit taking, looking for alternatives?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know that if I lost all the excess weight I'm carrying (we are talking close to 100 pounds now:ep) almost all my health issues would go away (hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, and sore joints). I've had some trouble with extra pounds most of my adult life, but things really started ballooning in the last 20 years or so. Having read about the nutritional paucity of the crops that have been GMO'd and are grown with Round Up, I've come to the conclusion that a great deal of my weight gains have been because I was eating that stuff. Those crops can be as much as 70% less nutrition than non-GMO crops. If you are not getting the nutrition your body needs, it will tell you to eat MORE. I think that explains why simple will power just doesn't work with diets today. I can't afford all organic foods at the store, so I'm hoping to get my garden producing enough to feed us everything except the cereal crops, which I don't have room for. If I can get that done, it should be easier to buy organic wheat and other cereal grains for both ourselves and our ducks. In the meantime, just working in the garden gives me some exercise...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH and I are really trying to go grain free. He's been doing great! He's been grain free for about 3 weeks now. Me - not so much, lol. I'm only on day 2 of no cheating. BUT, today I received my order of coconut flour and I'm about to try a recipe for Rosemary Coconut Savory Bread.

Since eliminating all grains from his diet, DH has been able to reduce the amount of insulin that he's been taking. His blood sugars have been so much better and he says he can feel a noticeable difference in his energy levels.

I'm only on day 2.... so stay tuned!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can imagine the crestfallen look on my husband's face if I told him I wasn't going to be eating anymore of his wonderful bread. He's so proud of his skills as a baker... even talks about making it a career choice if everything goes wonky and pear-shaped and he doesn't have a job anymore...
Maybe I could challenge him to see if he can make his bread without grain... like with your Coconut flour...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many years ago - before DH - I loved to bake and was known for whipping up a mean cheesecake and some really great home made breads...cookies....cakes... all that stuff that I don't do anymore. DH is such a brittle diabetic that he simply can't touch the stuff or his BS goes through the roof. So, I have learned to adapt and change recipes. I can still make a pretty good cheesecake with an almond crust and sugar substitute. Sugar free meringue cookies are delightful - sweetened with stevia! As skilled as your DH is I'll bet he could probably perfect some great recipes! (and then share them with us)

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bee pollen. I went from taking 1-2 24 hour OTC pills daily for 5 months to taking 1-3 teaspoonfuls of bee pollen a day. It is cheaper, fewer side effects, more beneficial aspects, and more effective. Now I am just kicking myself for not trying this years ago.

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I just have to post on it! :) If you are on High Blood Pressure meds, you can kick the habit with Hawthorn or at least cut back on your meds. Hawthorn is an excellent herb to lower BP and will bring it down significantly even after a short period of time on it. It has no side effects and is a wonderful herb to use.

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well then, now is the time to try it! It helps to reduce stress when your BP is lower. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found a Hawthorn Tincture in the local herbal store. I am on day 2 of trying it. So far so good, just gotta get to the store and check my BP. I am hoping to track it for the next couple of weeks and see if the Hawthorn is helping. The doctor talked about Blood Pressure meds last time I was there, I really don't want to start that path if I don't have to.

My blood pressure is borderline high, has been since college - so 30 years it has been steady at this level. Now they are worried about it. I think being 100+ pounds overweight is not helping. I am trying to lose weight, having a hard time with that, but hopefully, now that spring is here, I will be able to get more exercise.